For many of us summer is just beginning, which means it's time to get active!  Head outside, maybe hit the beach, dust off your bike and a good pair of walking shoes!

What is your relationship to physical activity and diabetes management? What have you tried? What works for you and what doesn’t?

Share your thoughts on this topic in the discussion below, or write a blog about it and post the link below!

Tags: diabetes, exercise, fitness, monthly query, monthly topic, physical activity

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did a "1/2 marathon" yesterday, I put quotes around it as it was a smaller race and there were a couple of spots that the trail wasn't marked out clearly in the woods, or we (all of the runners we talked to after the race...) didn't understand the marking system so people got lost in quite a few spots? And my Garmin fried out!!

I ran for 2:13 w/ much of it around 9:46 (after I found a runner w/ a Garmin and hung w/ her, which is how I know my pace...) which comes out to 13.61 miles but I'm not sure if I might've started out slower or stuff like that. I tried Enduralyte ("salt pills") which did a great job curing and preventing the persistent cramps I've had in many of my longer runs too so I am looking more forward to the rest of the summer.

It was also sort of a hair raising BG day:

When I woke up at 4:45 AM (to eat early, to get the IOB time to clear...), the CGM said 294 so I was like "eeeek" (or maybe %$#&!) and considered correcting but figured I should double check w/ the meter in case it was *really* crazy. Fortunately, it was "only" 198 so I corrected that and did some puttering and ate some eggs and then a small bowl of cereal after it returned to normal. I had cramps when I woke up too, and was concered it'd be a big problem for the race but was very pleased w/ the salt pills, despite the fact that they have similar ingredients to Gatorade, etc.

busy long weekend:
sat: spin class
sun: cycle 70kms, run 2kms off the bike to 'get that feeling'
today: ran 13kms, lifted weights, swum 1km.

starting to back into the swing of things in the offseason an build a bit..

keep on moving guys!

Exercise is the key to control! Check BS before and after to make sure you do not go to low.

I just finished riding in the Tulsa Tour de Cure this weekend and had a blast. Here's a video about the Minnesota Tour de Cure and the Red Riders (individuals living with diabetes who also ride bikes) who are also taking an active approach to controlling this in their own lives! I love seeing people out on bikes being active, especially while managing their diabetes :)

I just did the Tour in Pittsburgh on Sunday, which was pretty cool. Lots of different kinds of bikes at that ride: tandems, unicycles, mountain bikes, etc.

The relationship between activity and my BG management is pretty straight forward: It allows me to have a cheat day and eat more carbs (50 grams per day) than I could if I was not active.

Swimming three days a week (3x300) with trips to the weight room two days a week (kettle bell) is my normal routine. Getting on the bike and riding the Ghost Town Trail when the weather is nice, along with walking 2 miles a day is an added bonus.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service