At this mornings doctor appt I asked my Dr. what my insulin levels were and he said 9 months ago it was 2.6 and since my numbers have become progressively worse and harder to control it is probably even lower than that and that I AM LADA. I broke down...I am FREAKING OUT!! My biggest fear since diagnosis is the thought of ever going on insulin it is just a huge fear of mine. Looks like all of you were correct. I will get my new insulin levels back along with my islet results in 2-3 weeks but my Endo said the sooner we start insulin the better and when I asked about a pump he pointed to my blood sugar log and said "Well we are not there yet" so I am assuming I will have a little more time before being forced into insulin which is a blessing because I want to know everything that there is to know before I start. I can't imagine going on insulin right now though, I already have low blood sugar without insulin! Wondering how much longer I have... do some LADAs go on meds first?

Tags: diagnosis, dx, lada, new, type1

Views: 454

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately most doctors don’t teach you how to do that.  The first endo that I mentioned it to was surprised that I knew what it was let alone had done it.  I saw in your other post that you ordered both TLAP and Using Insulin.  I don’t have TLAP but John Walsh does talk about basal testing in Using Insulin.  I would imagine it is in TLAP since the link I gave you was from Gary Scheiner. 

Hey Lil Mama,

I missed most of this and haven't had a chance to read all the responses but I know you were complaining about a month back that your doctor wouldn't give you your lab results and that you were having trouble with your numbers and wanted to try Met.

I know that different labs after different "number ranges". Not sure how love 2.6 is. Last Feb mine was 12 0 which my dr said was average (normal). I am a Thin Type 2 (like you  thought you were). My number are great on Met and proper diet. (who knows for long though). Did your dr say what range 2.6 was in? I guess low because he wants you to start on insulin.

Sorry about this happening to me. But it is important to get the right treatment. Don't forget about complications. It is scarey - I get nervous thinking about that someday I will probably have to go on insulin. I am sure there will be lots to learn but you want to get your numbers in range to avoid those complications. That is most important.

Is the same doctor you had before that was giving you a hard time and we all told you find a new one? Or is this a new doctor?  Hang in there.

Oops, I meant "sorry about this happening to YOU!" I type too fast. :)

This is the same doctor, he seems to know what he is doing BUT I had to ask him what my insulin production was last March and ask him if he has done antibody tests yet, so he did antibody tests and retested my insulin (should get these results in next week or two) but he told me he thought I was LADA and from my explaining to him of decreasing carbs and constantly exercising he's assuming I'm running out of insulin. My Doctor said anything below 4.0 would indicate that I am not type 2.

LiL MaMa, I'm really sorry to see this happening to you, Loosing self made insulin is no fun at all and it really does suck, ask me how I know... 

But you should be ok, you will be able to adapt over time as your production levels continue to fall. But you do have one major advantage over most of us T1'ers. And that is you actually have a full heads up warning of your Type 1 condition. Many of us were hit by surprise and had to start on insulin immediately upon diagnosis, and then I had to be trained up over the course of 5 days before I was able to return home, and I was 16 at the time. Receiving a heads up warning ahead of time in my opinion would be better than a sudden diagnosis and getting jammed with syringes immediately, and I was a kid who had hated needles with a passion long before the disease took me by surprise.  

You will pull through it, and your life will continue, sure it wont be the same as it was before, but you're still here right? Thats what I tell my self.  

We all hope the best for you and the new changes that you are going to embark on.

Welcome to the family

Thanks! :) And YES that is what I keep reminding myself..I cannot imagine all of a sudden being forced onto insulin I was shocked with just the diabetes diagnosis last year and I have had time now to educate myself, be rediagnosed and now educate myself again I am so very blessed.
Don't be afraid of insulin, KimKat! It's a lifesaver! I was so sick before I went on insulin, and felt so much better when my dose was properly established. It's a nuisance, yes, because you have to be careful about matching your insulin to what you eat, and making sure your basal won't throw you low in the middle of the night, but I think feeling well beats all those things. I was on insulin within 18 months of my "probable" diagnosis, and I don't regret it for one moment!

I keep reading that everywhere! Everyone keeps saying going on insulin was the best thing they ever did, that they have so much more energy, feel so much better and wish they had done it sooner! Hope thats how I feel about it lol I'm sure while constantly adjusting I may feel otherwise but it seems like you well established insulin users know your stuff and it is just another part of your day. Hope I get there quickly!

PS-the part I'm not liking reading about is the weight gain lol

Many of us believe that the idea that you inevitably gain weight on insulin is a myth. If you are in DKA or have lost weight on diagnosis, then when your numbers are under control you can gain a bit, but that is just your body returned to health. Some people do gain weight on insulin but that is because they subscribe to the "eat whatever you want and bolus for it" school and eat more, use more insulin, gain weight and get insulin resistance. If you don't eat more and continue to be active, there is no reason for you to gain weight on a low or moderate dose of insulin.

Good...I'll def stick to low carbing then :) Thanks for the clarification!

I was diagnosed five years ago when I just turned 65. I had been tested for years because my two older sisters were Type 2 and insulin dependent. My readings were always good during my regular yearly blood tests with my PCP. Then that Summer, my eyes could not take sun shining through the windshield, even with two pair of glasses. This was my first indication of a problem. I really didn't understand why this was happening. Then in late September of my 65 year, I started to drink a lot and even carried two liters of water and soda with me. Nothing would quench my thirst. I wasn't even hungry only thirsty. My mind was becoming foggy too and I chalked that up to trying to accomplish too much. I was trying to pick a Medicare provider from many, many that were being sent to me and working on travel arrangements at home. I was performing well in any area.

The great thirst began on Sunday and by Thursday, my son found me in a semi-comatose state. He told me that I had blood coming out of my mouth. I don't remember any of it, the ambulance taking me to the hospital or the five days in a coma. I had a blood glucose reading of 1725. At 1100, you are in a coma, between 1100 and 1200, your are brain dead. I flatlined two times during that coma and was brought back. When I awakened the second time, I ripped out my life support, which was very painful and has caused problems to this day.

I awakened to the fact that I had to inject myself for the rest of my life. Great fear set in, the nurses injected me in the hospital. But, going home and doing it myself was really fighting. Thank Heaven, the Endo that had been on my case in the hospital, said to come to her Joslin Diabetic clinic as soon as I was released. They started me on the pens and trained me how to do it. Even, how to control my diet.

I am now on a pump and feel as though my quality of life is much better.

At least you are being slowly lead into this, not waking up to it. I had never heard of LADA before my Endo mentioned it to me. I see on this site that it is sometimes called 1.5.

You just have to realize that you are more capable that you think you are. Do not be afraid, there is plenty of support out there for you. If you current doctor is a PCP, please try to find a proven Endo and work with them. They are a great support system.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service