-don't eat dessert. ever.
-eat whole grain carbohydrates instead of processed white carbs. whole grain carbs don't spike your blood sugar and drop fast later.
-eat lots of vegetables and lean protein (chicken, fish, tofu)
-avoid dried fruit
-eat small amounts of fruit (1 banana _or_ 1 apple) in the morning for breakfast
-avoid soda and energy drinks
-don't put sugar or honey in your coffee
-don't drink milk
-don't eat cookies, cakes, pies.
-if you are on insulin and drink alcohol, be very careful to monitor your blood sugar so it doesn't go low, especially if you mix alcohol and exercise
-eat carbohydrates before exercising. keep a large bottle of gatorade in your backpack while exercising in case you go low.

Tags: diabetes, diet, exercise, nutrition, tips

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last A1c, 6, and I eat mostly because I'm hungry or I enjoy the food. After 40 years of T1D and lots of experImenting I have learned a lot about foods and tecniques that work for me.

If I stuck with your list I'd go crazy for beating up on myself, Learning to enjoy food and taste, while still managing BGs is fun sometime...enjoy life despite the D and master it!
ahh thats kinda sad thinking you only eat to sustain yourself. It should bring some pleasure into ur life. There are lots of ways to prepare foods that make them ok to eat. I used Splenda to make cookies and my family thought they were awesome without knowing the secret change in the recipe. I guess if I was not controlled or had a high A1c I'd feel different. What is your A1c David ?
I agree with David about the white carbs...I only do wheat now. And rye occasionally. BUT for the most part I'm down with Lizmarie. I eat a wide variety of things in my diet now. And hit the gym in the AM for sure each day and in the PM 3 days a week minimum. So its alot of gym work I think that helps with my BG. Dessert is a regular part of my meals anymore. Even for breakfast. Thats where I have a banana (and per Dannys thread, they dont do horrible things to me either.) Then again we are back to that whole exercise thing . LOL I do credit much, if not all, of my success with exercise. Even a brisk walk after "cheating" on a nice piece of pepporoni pizza helps alot.

My former A1c was 14.6. My last A1c was 6.7. My next A1c will be lower yet (I hope) but if not thats fine too. Its a work in progress.
Judith, Wow!! Great A1c....just amazing.
Judith,

Eagerly awaiting the pumpkin bread results. Sent you a scrumptious chocolate torte recipe. Hope you got it.

Amazing A1c. You have the healthiest diet.

Love to you & your mom. Think of you both often.
Cool, thanks for sharing everyone. I'm no expert, was just trying to share what worked for me. Best to all, David

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service