Hello everyone. This is my first post and iam hoping 
Someone can help me sort some of this out.
My Enzo says I have high insulin levels. Then
She says I have type 1. Arent the two in contradiction
Of each other? Im not on insulin. But Was diagnosed
With pancreatic insufficiency. I'm no dr. But she is making no
Sense. No other symptoms like thirst or etc.  Might Feel low around 70
Could this be early lada stage? Thanks for your help

Views: 366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You don't sound flip or smart-ass. Keep reading, keep asking good questions ;)

Thanks jrtpup, I will! I just know how irritating it can be for some newbie to come in and start preaching to people who are living with reality for a long time. I won't find out until Friday for sure whether I have those antibodies, and Friday seems a long way off right now...

OH, NO apologies at all. I apologize if I came across harsh, sorry..not my intention. I guess it just gets frustrating sometimes when people perceive this as easy, like staying in an 80 - 90 range is something easy..maybe it is for some, for most of us, it's a daily challenge.

i'm sorry you had to come here to this 'site' and join this club...it is, however, manageable and this site really does provide a great deal of support and lots of info too. Dr. Bernstein, I don't know...some love him, some do not. You'll have to make that decision as you go through this. It sounds like you're doing great so far...control is the ultimate goal, no? if you can low carb and keep it under control right now, you're doing great! :)

One thing you will realize reading Bernstein is that while he thinks that people with T2 have some struggles with insulin resistance and weight, he treats T1 and T2 essentially the same way. In both cases, he advocates a low carb diet. In both cases, he recommends a variety of treatments. He prescribes a number of T2 drugs for T1 patients. And he recommends early use of insulin. He actually suggests that you learn to inject insulin as soon as your are diagnosed (as a T2), just so you are prepared. And he firmly believes that tight blood sugar control can preserve your remaining beta cell function in all cases.

The spectrum idea is interesting. While the classification of T1 as being a result of autoimmune attack on the beta cells, and T2 as obesity-related insulin resistance is convenient for researchers in studies, it does not take into account the full range of PWDs. You can get a good indication of that range when you observe the people here: there are thin, non-insulin-resistant, antibody-negative T2s, and there are obese, insulin-resistant, antibody-positive, or child-diagnosed T1s. And everything in between. It seems to me that diabetes is just not as simple as the organizations and media make it out to be, and the stereotypes are not helpful in the real world. So, while it may be important to carefully distinguish type in academic studies, it may not be so meaningful in real life. Yes, many people fall squarely into the classic boxes, but a significant number of people do not. So maybe Dr. B has a point.

My personal take on Dr. B's books: they are filled with valuable tips and insights usable by all of us. And he certainly has very tight goals.

But to come away believing that my bg could never be out of the 80's or 90's... again I have to separate "goal" from "attainable". It's surprisingly easy to have the goal be unattainable and then what, is every T1 who ever has a bg above 100 a failure? I don't think so.

The thing I like most about Bernstein is his insistence that diabetics are entitled to normal blood sugars. Being a lifelong Type 1 with no beta cells at all, he has nevertheless managed to achieve a remarkable level of health at age 76. I'm also reading about the amount of damage is done at levels even above 90 on a consistent basis. Maybe I am just unrealistic (or stubborn) but I feel that I have to find out whether his 83 number is at all attainable for me at this stage, though I know that the longer term prospects aren't so good. I am not at all attracted to the idea of toggling sugar and insulin for the sake of being able to eat a "normal" high carb (40-50%) diet. Although this ultra-low carb diet is tough, it's a lot easier now that I'm used to it, and I just discovered I can have a couple of pieces of dark chocolate without getting over 100. So today I'm feeling optimistic, and I realize that if I DON'T end up having the antibodies the chances are good that by maintaining a low carb diet I can restore some of my beta cells. That gives me some hope, too.

What I don't like about Bernstein is his insistence that diabetics are entitled to normal blood sugars. It is like saying that people with mild developmental disabilities are entitled to read and enjoy Finnegan's Wake. Harry Potter or even Hemingway might be possible but Joyce...

I wish you only good luck in trying to keep your blood sugar in a twenty point range but I wouldn't get to attached to that goal.

Maurie

I understand. At this point I'm holding on to my optimism. It seems better than the alternative.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service