My fingers really get sore and hurt from poking them with the lancets. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about this? And if we (as diabetics) have trouble healing, why are we poking our fingers anyway?

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Peter,

You can use an alternate test site on your arms, but just be aware that the reading is said to be about 15 minutes behind in lag time compared to finger sticks. With your lancing device, there's another cap (usually clear) for using on arms.

I've not hard sore fingers since my skin has toughened up from doing this. Keep alternating fingers. People are told by doctors to use alcohol swabs first, but this is useless & just dries out your skin more.

Not much problem healing from a finger stick:)
I think the lancet device makes a big difference! I find the Softclix and the Multiclix to be the most gentle.

What lancet device are you using?
I just started using the multiclix and I REALLY like it.
I use a different lancer--the one I have foudn the most comforatable--it auto-advancesand has 20 pokes toa cartridge--the below link has their site and a # to call for a free sample

http://www.renewlancing.com/healthyfingers.html
I have used every lancet device on the market and my favorite is the Accucheck mulitlclix followed by the renew lancing device that Denise gave you a link to. Definitely take advantage of that free offer, it is worth it to try it out. The biggest difference for me was how much control I have over the depth of the poke and the size of the needle. I find I have more dial in ability with the multiclix than the renew but both of them hurt less. The less deep you set the poker, the quicker the healing and less pain from the poke so play around with this and find what works for you. I test 12+ times a day and I have had no problem healing.

Also make sure you are testing on the sides of the finger and not the tips or the pad of the finger. There are more nerves there and it hurts more. Definitely skip the alcohol, this will make your skin super dry.
GOOD GRIEF! 16 times a day? You poor lady! And I was griping because I had to do it once a day. Now, my doctor says I can do it even less, because I am so well-controlled. My last A1C was 5.9, and it usually is around that.
Don't poke the finger tips poke a bit away.
i use this little guy:

i like that i can dial down the depth. i'm definitely open to try more...may go pick some up at CVS tomorrow.
The best one that I like is the accu-chek Multiclix. I use to check my sugars on my arm because It hurt but now I use the multiclix on my fingers.It makes all the difference.
how does the multiclix work? i'm a very visual person and i can't find any close-up pictures of how it works. do you load all 6 lancets yourself...?
Faye, the multiclix lancets are preloaded. You just pull the top off of the multiclix, pull the used drum out and put the new one in.
Attachments:
and here is a video demo

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service