Well i know this is kinda silly but this really has been bothering me for some time
is it eveerr possible in anyway that lantus could somehow act like rapid insulin
say if it was abit hot or if i was abit hot or anything like that
im always scared to take it so much that i even delay the time i inject
pls someone help and tell me if theres any of ur experinces with lantus good/bad/ugly

Views: 418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I"m actually on 24 hours with Levemir. I was on 24 hours with Lantus too.
I do have issues with my carb ratio, as it keeps increasing as I'm getting older. I'm at 1:5 right now, which makes for some pretty high dosages of Humalog. However, when I'm NOT eating, I've tested my BG when I'm fasting for 24 hours, and my BG stayed constant on the Levemir alone.

I have not, however, had any issues with injecting Levemir at 11:00pm one night and at 10:00pm the next night.
I'm considering breaking up the dosage into two injections, but am leery of forgetting my mid day injection. And my food schedule is all over the place, so I'm afraid I won't be able to pinpoint TWO specific times per day that I would inject.

But, something to think about.
Thanks!
Interesting that you get 24 hours from Levemir. It will be a nice experiment to see if two injections will influence your carb ratios. It has the potential because in my understanding the Levemir will cover 24 hours but it will degrade much more than Lantus. So after the 12 hour mark the amount of active insulin is lower than being on Lantus. But this may be very individual - your 24 hour fasting proofes that.

I inject at 08:00 and 21:30 which works best for my habits. If you can manage something like 07:00 and 20:00 it will more likely fit into your eating habits.
maybe I could try this . I inject at 07:00 11 units of Levemir and it seem that it doesn't work very well in winter. I give an example: last night two hours after eating dinner I was at 137 and when I woke up, I was at 307!!!!!!! Holger told me to put more units of Levemir but maybe it will be better to make two shots. I must think about that! As I told a new member, I learn a lot with you , my friends.
Some people have experienced a dramatic drop when they somehow injected directly into a blood vessel. I've never personally had that experience.

For me when I exercise at night, I tend to drop...but it's more over several hours...so those nights I cut back on the dosage. If your lantus was exposed to extreme temperatures it would be more likely that it would become less effective.

I usually leave my lantus out on my counter at room (~68-70 Farenheight) but it doesn't seem to impact it's effect for me.

One other thing is that according to the insert or maybe their website...but for some people Lantus can work up to 26 hours... so you might get some overlap there where for a short period your basal rate is roughly double...

Your best bet is to do basal rate testing to see how lantus effects you at different times of the day and try to find out how long it actually lasts for you.
Lantus never worked close to 24 hours for me. I started splitting doses even though my endo said this was unnecessary. He was more interested in what the pharm reps claimed for their product than what I experienced. I noticed peaks with Lantus that I don't have with Levemir.
This probably dosent relate to your theory here but one time I thought I took double the amount of my lantis . It turned outni really didn't but I could have been dead by morning if i really did. Lol.
Prior to pumping and for my pumping "vacations" at one time I used Lantus. I found that it burned incessantly and never lasted the full 24 hours. There were times it wouldn't even last 12 hours. I have since switched to Levemir for my pump vacations. Levemir does last 12 hours for me when I do use it.
Levemir does not last 24 hours - as mentioned above it's only approved for 12 hour use. So you would do 2 injections of Levemir a day.
I take Lantus every morning with no problems. When I took it at night I was a little low by morning.
hi moody kay i have been on lantus for about 5 yrs, been doing real good so far, i didnt have training from educator, she guide me thru, i started with her a1c was 11.2,now they are 7.0,do you all have team of doctors to monitor your bsl
When I was on Lantus, before beginning insulin pumping, I had only one bad experience. It occurred when I injected my evening Lantus dose immediately before getting into a hot bathtub (not a hot tub, mind you, just a traditional bathtub.) My blood glucose started dropping and dropping - incredibly fast! Fortunately, I survived without injury by eating glucose tabs and drinking juice. Then my BG was high the entire next day (seemingly because I used up all the Lantus in a short period of time.) The next day, after this mysterious episode, I went to the book on Insulin Dependent Diabetes written by the wonderful Dr. H. Peter Chase, M.D. and published by the Children's Diabetes Foundation in Denver, CO. In that book Dr. Chase advises against getting into a bathtub or shower immediately after injecting Lantus. I believe his recommended wait time is 1/2 hour. Hope this helps!
!
this does help greatly thanks so much

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service