Hey..

I have been put on 5 shots a day starting out with 7 ml of Levimir in the morning and before bed and 5 units of Novalog before each meal. I did the boluses one week and crashed 3 times, wont be doing that no more. I decided to take the 5 units prescribed only before each meal. I have to then eat something every hour 1/5 or so because by two hours I am falling out again. I eat right and crash, < low sugar drops,I dont eat right and never crash. I'm to see about classes for diabetes and eating in the coming week here. So thats the new prescription for now. I have been to the endo over 6 times this year alone,its tiring. I dont see alot of change with my numbers as of yet and the meds are both flex pens. The day the endo put me on insulin was my A1C check. I was in a rush, BIG RUSH. I had a banana and thats it for breakfast and almost 3 hours later my sugar was 400. I'm thinking, its not looking good.

Views: 612

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I use Lantos and humalog I get Lantus 2 times a day and humalog for my carbs . Works well for me. My only carb choices are oatmeal yogurt or bread. I try and stay away from high fat because raises my sugar levels. I use fruit like a apple only I need some sugar slowly while I'm doing something like shopping and levels are on the low end no shot. Bandanas are a fast actingcarb

Hey,

Thank you for the heads up. I eat a carb between meals ( fruit mainly) so I wont drop out. Its either too much or not enough. I'm presently a mess with this stuff. By the time I eat correctly all day long, I end up coming home and pigging out because I am so weak from these stupid drops. I'm going to give it another week to see whats going to happen again.

A set dose of the same number of units of bolus before each meal doesn't work very well, as you can see because you are having to eat more to keep your blood sugar from crashing. You need to figure out your Insulin to carb ratio and then take the right amount of insulin for what you are actually eating. You need a very different dose of insulin for a salad then you would for a hamburger with bun, and french fries! Your endo doesn't seem to be helping you very much or teaching you the state of the art ways to take insulin. I encourage you to either find an endo who will, and/or get the book Using Insulin by John Walsh to learn how to dose your insulin. Many of us learned by reading that or another book and coming on here, rather than being given instructions by a doctor. I would be careful about classes as they vary in quality of knowledge as well.

Hey Zoe..

Boy you hit it right on the eight ball with the salad deal. I was at Apple Bee's and took 7 ml of Novalog before eating a chicken fried salad. Its 5 ml each time unless I use the bolus on account of the range in which my sugar may be at, so it was 216 meaning for me to take 2 more units of the Novalog >7<. I then ate my salad and at the end of eating this salad had a horrible spell. Ya, I was eating right and crashed anyway. My follow up sheet from my endo informs me of just how much bolus to take. However, like you said, carb to ratio, maybe I should have stuck with the 5 ml and when I eat a can of sardines for lunch, maybe I should just use 3 ml of Novalog, is this what you mean? I will have to learn a new way. Today, I had another attack, used 5 ml, ate sardines, then in an hour, another attack. I have a book I'm reading now but its not John Walsh although I think I have been recommended this book before in here by the good people who have helped me. Wake up time again, I have been sleeping. Thanks again for the help, funny thing is, I trust the diabetics in here more than the doctors.

Hi -

It gets better. I actually did ok on a fixed dose for the first 6 months or so until I was taught how to use an insulin to carb ratio. But if you use a fixed dose, you have to eat approximately the same number of carbs each meal. If you've had any meals that "worked", try to figure out the number of carbs you ate and see if eating that same number of carbs with your dose works a second (and third time). If it does you have at least one solution to the insulin equation.

Are you waking up with ok numbers?

Maurie

Hey..

Thanks on this, ya so far my morning numbers arent that good. Ranging in the 200's and over but thats my fault. I tend to eat a bowl of cherios throughout the night somewhere and or before bed. No sugar of course. I'm trying to re-arrange my sleeping schedule but its difficult, I'm up late. So I tend to eat again before bed as I go to bed late "many" nights. I don't sleep that well. I figured my morning numbers may get better when I eat better or learn the carb to ratio thing. I knew it would be about counting carbs and lining them up to the amount of insulin I am to use but had no idea the onset of change with all of this and the affect physically it would have on me with drop-outs. I'm up early to check into this book with John Walsh. I am really guessing with everything right now, not looking forward to all of this but no choice. My husband places articles for cures with diabetes on my desk for me to read and I think, well, I wont see that in my lifetime, and if it starts, well it will be for the young first. They dont want a cure, the medical industry would begin to fold and hoards of money would be lost due to not paying for insulin + +. So we hold fast to hope, but if the hope leads to companies losing money, that hope wont come quickly. A young virginia girl of 17 I believe discovered a cure to one of the bacteria cells in cancer within the cancer cell itself. It has to be activated with a lazer and then the cancer cell begins to die. However, they already stated it will be years and years before it can be actually used as it must be tested thoroughly, and well, they just dont want to get on it either because of the loss over money. Ya. the root of all evil. Money is not bad, the abuse of it there-of can be.

why would a supposed cure, in your opinion, be for 'the young first'...type 1 diabetes is the same if you're young or old. if they find a cure, which is doubtful, IMO, it would be a cure for anyone who has type 1 diabetes, which is an autoimmune disease. there's no age limit to onset type 1. The person(s) who indeed does find a cure for type 1 would be rich beyond rich, there is an incentive there for researchers. Are you a type 1, did you test postive for the antibodies, have a low or 'no' cpeptide test?

You are on a sliding scale but need to be counting carbs and calculating how much insulin to bolus when you eat. Sounds like you're crashing because of too much insulin in your system. I'm sure the chicken salad had very few carbs in it hence the 7 units of insulin was probably way too much. Has the Endo given you your ratios in order to figure how much to take? You should have a I:C or insulin to carb ratio and you insulin sensitivity ratio to calculate corrections. That is how I was taught to administer MDI shots. I know you are new at it but you need to see a CDE if your doctor isn't up to the task.

HI Richard..

I gave myself that 7 units on account of what the bolus said to give, 2 units more with the 5 regular if my sugar was 201 to 250, when I checked it before I ate that chicken salad it was 216, all I had for breakfast at 8:00 that morning was a small bowl of cherios and two cups of coffee. It was 11:00 am when I checked it again and it was 216 so I followed the paper for the bolus. Its my fault, I am starting to see this, I needed some crackers with that salad and or a peice of fruit to balance out the sugar. I wrote bsc what I was talking about with this eating frenzy I am presently undergoing. I did see a dietician some years back but she confused the daylights out of me. It was as though I should have automatically understood all of this stuff, she was very routine and clear on her end, but I was new and confused by pure lack of knowledge as I am now. So, yes I am researching on line and will find me some good diabetic classes from the hospital. The dietician cost $120.00 and the insurance does not cover them, figures ey? Ahh yes another day in the life.

Putting you on a fixed dose like that is dangerous. You need to talk to your endo about learning to carb count and giving insulin for the carbs you eat. You are putting yourself in danger just blindly giving yourself 5 units at each meal. I personally think it was extremely irresponsible of your doctor to tell you to do so.

If your doctor really wants you to use a fixed dose regimen, then you should be meeting with a dietician to determine how many carbs/what kinds of food you will need to eat at each meal in order to use that insulin.

We don't want anything to happen to you! It's just so astounding to me how uninformed some doctors are....

Hi Kari

Thanks for your reply. I think because I have been a diabetic so long that my doctor thinks I am on top of my eating habits, I am not. I just made this transition from pills to insulin and he has given me a sheet of paper to follow with the bolus counts. He asked about sending me to a dietician, I told him I already saw one but she only confused me even more. I am going to call the hospital and check into some classes in hopes to get on a proper eating schedule in at least learn about the carb to ratio use with eating and insulin. I believe he gave me the fixed dose along with the bolus and he probably just figured I would eventually start to understand, which I am now waking up too. He said to call if any issues arise at all, but its up to me at this point, I have to figure it out, my eating habits and how much insulin to actually use. Thank you for caring, I am thinking today about breakfast and lunch, and I clean houses so my sugar tends to drop quickly before I realize what the heck is going on. I find myself indulging in a carb between meals when working so I wont have a spell. They are unbarable as you probably know. Just hoping this book will help right now. I will look at Walmart to find it but probably Barns and Nobles would be my best bet. Thank you again Kari.

Hey Shawnmarie,

Boy your right on this, its nuts, all of it. I am very physical but at this age in my life its not the best thing to be, I feel my bones to be brittle and if I went to the doctors everytime my heart stirred I would be living in the hospital period. I have a long ways to go to get this right but I'm going to do it. So glad of these forums, my goodness they make all the difference in the world. I'm thankful.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service