Close to 10% of patients diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes are actually living with Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA or Type 1.5): in the US alone this represents almost 2 million people. I am one of those people and this is my story.

I can't believe I can't get rid of this yeast infection, what's going on. I tried over the counter medication to cure it, the yeast infection never went away. I called my Doctor's office and made an appointment. Judy walked in the room and I told her I had a yeast infection I couldn't get rid of. She checked my glucose levels and the meter read 400. She said I have diabetes and my glucose levels are high that's why I couldn't fight the infection. On June 16, 2004 I was diagnosed with being a diabetic; I was only 23 years old. Judy decided to send me to the lab. The next morning I received the results, fasting blood sugar was 334 and my HgA1C was 14.5. Judy (my nurse) diagnosed me as having Type 2 diabetes. I was initially started on Metformin, which at first worked well to control my blood sugars. Eventually, she decided to send me to a Endo, because my C-peptide levels were low, indicating that I was not making insulin on my own, which is uncommon in patients with Type 2. Also, I wasn't overweight, a more common aspect of type 2 diabetes.

My first visit with Dr. Menon (my Endo) went well. He said he knew I was Type 1.5/LADA, just by looking at me. But, in order for him to confirm his theory, I had to get some blood work done. This was to measure antibodies that are frequently present in Type 1.5/LADA, called GAD-65 (there is also a test called islet-cell antibodies, which can be measured). A week later the results came back, it was confirmed that I have Type 1.5/LADA. My first thought was how did I get this? I don't have a family member with Diabetes. Dr. Menon said, “It is a gene that you have and it could have been triggered by a cold or maybe even stress."

Dr. Menon started me on 5mg of Glipizide and said I would have to be placed on insulin within the next 4 years. He couldn’t tell me when my pancreas would completely stop making insulin. That was 4 years ago...

A lot of things have changed since my initial diagnoses! In January of 2008 I was placed on insulin, my honeymoon ended. I am learning how to live as a Type 1. I know some people say there isn't a difference but to me there is a huge difference!!! I had the chance to live on both side of the tracks. If you asked me pills over insulin, I would choose insulin. I was asked if I would rather have Type 1 and 2 over Type 1.5, wouldn’t trade being Type 1.5/ LADA for the world. I like being the odd ball!

Here are a few Characteristic's of Type 1.5/LADA:

-Adult age diagnoses

- Lean body type.

- More abrupt onset of high blood sugars, at the time of diagnosis, perhaps even DKA.

-Less likely to achieve good blood sugar control with meal planning or oral diabetes medications.

-Positive antibodies against GAD-65 or islet cells.

-Low C-peptide levels – insulin deficiency versus the insulin resistance that is routinely seen in type 2 diabetes.

- Less likely to have a family history of type 2

If you think you have any of the symptoms listed above talk to your health care provider and share your story here too.

Tags: LADA, diabetes, type 1.5

Views: 4209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hashimoto's Disease is autoimmune hypothyroidism. It is the most common other autoimmune disease associated with Type 1 autoimmune diabetes.

Vitiligo can occur for a number of reasons, and one of them is an autoimmune problem. Psoriasis is the same. T1 is a condition where your autoimmune response goes haywire and once you have one autoimmue condition, the chances of getting another autoimmue condition are greater. An astute endochronologist will look for other autoimmune conditions.

I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden, I could not read any of the road signs - they were all blurred. Long story short, my fasting sugars were 338. They started me on 1000mg 's a day of Metformin and as soon as my A1C came back at 9.8, they doubled my dosage to 2000mg's a day. That was in September 2007. By Christmas, I had altered my diet, learned about blood monitering, and lowered my A1C to 6.8. Thought I had it down to a fine controlable deal. Then in Febuary my sugars started to go up again. My new doctor had me increase my dosage of Metformin to 3000 mg's a day. I am 5' 2" and weigh 120.Found out through checking on the web that that was WAY too much. Asked the doctor about checking to see if my pancreas was producing insulin. I got a condisending lecture about how people of my age (50) could not be adult onset type one diabetic.

Went to an Endocrinologist and found out I was LADA. He kept me on Metformin (2000mg) and started me on Januvia which did nothing for me. So, I am off the Januvia, and have started taking 10 units of Lantis at night before bed. I am still not reaching controlable levels, each week I turn in my blood sugar reports and each week the nurse calls and says follow the diet. AT this point, I have manipulated my diet so much with protein, my fellow workers are telling me to quit losing weight.
It all seems a bit overwhelming and confusing, so I am very happy to have found this web site.

One thing I am really confused about is this, I saw my doctor put down on a form type 2 diabetes and asked him why he clasified me that way if I am a 1.5. He said it was because I was on oral meds. When I made the comment that they haven't worked for me and didn't understand why he was keeping me on them at all, he said it was to protect my heart. Yet, my blood work is good and I have low blood pressure, so I am still confused by this. After some of the things I've read, I shouldn't be on any of the oral meds and I should be protecting what I have left of my pancreatic function. The diabetic educator gave me a Novolog flexpen but the doctor said not to use it yet. Not that I am looking forward to having to shoot up several times a day, but if the Lantis and the oral meds are not doing the job, isn't it time to bring in the Novolog? Does anyone have an opinion?
Jeanne-

I think the Dr should want to place you on insulin to preserve your pancreas...why let it burn out??? Keep bugging your Dr about the insulin because one day your honeymoon phase will end and you'll need it. Type 2 classification's for LADA;I think we should be class as a type 1, because once you try to get insulin pumps and such you will have to fight with the insurance company because of you not having any history as a Type 1. I had to fight my insurance company for the OmniPod system.
Your body needs the carbs...try talking to your dr about placing you on insulin full time...Trust me I was where you are now! I don't ever want to think about going back there again.

Cherise
I
Hi Cherise

Well, my Endo called after recieving my last weeks worth of BS numbers, he started me on Novalog. I shot up right before dinner tonight for the first time. Today I am really high. BS were at 333 before dinner. 337 two hours after the novalog, and yes I feel awful today. He did not have me stop the Metformin, but at next week's appointment we will discuss it again. It feels like I am moving in the direction that all the other LADA people seem to move.

I am nervious about shooting up at work tomorrow. It you can believe it, I am scared of going low. That may seem silly with the kinds of numbers I have been having, but that does worry me. My work is fast paced and many days I do not have time to check BS before lunch and lunch is always on the run.

Did you have trouble sleeping with all the shifts and changes before getting on the pump? I guess it is the stress. Thank God for this web site. Being able to talk to others has really helped and instead of feeling like a failure when they said to start the other insulin, I knew it was the right choice or at least what everyone has been saying here and that really helps.
jeanne-

I am glad your Dr added novalog! My bg's were a little out of Wack but they bounced back. It's going to take time. I wasn't nervous about taking shots at work I encouraged my co workers to watch just incase! Don't be nervous you can do it!
I didn't have any trouble sleeping with the pump. I have the Omnipod and forget it's there:) are you looking into a pump?
I Agree! I went through HELL before going on insulin. It took some courage to get over the needle shy bit, but it was worth it!

I think so much of our treatment depends on personal preferances of the doctor/s than OUR needs.

(*&*( GOMER
Thank you both for responding. I will go back to my doctor and talk to him again and again if need be. As for my other internist, I sent him copies of all the lab work and basicly have not been back. I had a fantastic internist but do to insurance costs I had to change. Now I think I have a really good Endo and the first time I saw him the first thing he said was he wanted to run tests to see what my pancreas was producing. So I have had a c-peptide profile done and that is why the Endo told me I had LADA.

I also think he may be taking me down this road slowly due to the fear in my eyes when he mentioned I might have to give myself shots. However, I have now been shooting up the Lantis for a month and have overcome the initial terror of becoming completely dependant on something outside myself to live. What a strange road this has become!

Not all endos are created equal :S The first doctor I saw told me I was prediabetic and they would run further tests to see how it went. They didn't understand that I felt sick and was eating very little - so my levels were lower than usual. A few days later, I had a smoothie and my sugar was so high, it was unreadable and I ended up in the hospital where I was seen by a great endo who ran all the proper tests. Further to that, my gastro's secretary forgot to call me to let me know I was celiac!!

If you're spiking at meal times, I don't see why you couldn't have a fast acting insulin. Your body doesn't need to deal with the stress of high blood sugars, if it can be prevented. I hope things improve for you and it sounds like they will since you are identifying what isn't working :)

Jeanne,

Wow, your story is so familiar. Other than our age difference, I've had much of the same experience. Metformin and Januvia did nothing. I was eating so low carb in an effort to control my BS, but it always seemed to rise too high. I finally started taking Lantus and have seen a 50 point drop in my fasting BS level (from about 150 to 99)! I was first DX'd as Type 2 and now as Type 1.5. I still have to eat low carb since I don't take short term insulin, but my pancreas apparently still produces some insulin. Don't give up...keep going back to your doctor until you have better control. Have you had a C-peptide or GAD antibodies?
Good luck.
Hi summer,

A fellow traveler on this strange road! Yes I have had the tests, which I do have copies of, but I am new to reading the reports and don't really understand them. My GAD results were 30.1 which were classified as high. Do you understand what the GAD numbers are all about?

How long have you been on the Lantus? Initially I dropped into better numbers, but my fasting this week is averaging about 200. I have a nephew that was 4 when he was diagnosed with type 1. He tells me there are only two things (other than food) that I can do to control the high numbers, drink water, or excercise. So I am doing both, but I must admidt I am getting tired of the attempt to control with very little outcome occuring. It looks like your program is working well for you. That must feel great. Thank you for your comments.
Jeanne,
The GAD results show that you have antibodies which are attacking your pancreas. Normal range is under 1.5 so it sounds like you have had this for a while. You definitely have autoimmune diabetes and that is adult onset Type 1. I was 53 when I was diagnosed. Your nephew is mistaken. You can not control high BG with exercise when you are Type 1. Drinking water will not bring your BG down. You are thirsty because your BG is way too high. Fasting numbers in the 200s are dangerously high. Lantus alone will not control your BG. You also need short acting insulin with meals. If you have a Novolog pen, you should be using it with every meal. Why were you told to wait before using this? If the Lantus is not bringing down your fasting numbers then you need more. Perhaps you need to split the dose. You need to get back to your doctor and get some guidance on how to slowly bring your numbers down into the normal range. My endo classifies me as Type 1, Juvenile Diabetes, for insurance purposes. The medical profession does not recognize Type 1.5. You probably should not be on any oral meds now that your autoimmune status has been confirmed. Please go back to your doctor or find a new one. You cannot take chances with those high numbers.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service