Anyone put on Lipitor for prevention? I have refused it as the side effects sound horrible. My LDL is 99 ( good for normal population) and I am told it needs to be below 70 if Type 1.

Please share thoughts.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks Tom...i have good lipids. my diet is great. I have since added this great new product. check it out and let me know what you think.

oathealth.com
Check the statistics ;there is a higher mortality rate for those with the lowest cholesterol level . Cholesterol does NOT cause heart disease .Inflammation causes heart attacks. I would never ever take a statin drug.
I agree. I have had type1 for over 40 years, refused statins. I tke 2 1000 milligram Omega -3 tablets a day. My cholesterol is optimum and my c-reactive protein test, a marker for inflamation in the body, is rated as optimal. hence, I refused statins: Tried zocor and lipitor, they gave me bad side effects, muscle pains and low blood pressure. So I said no to statins 3 years ago after a trial period and being told I needed to be have an LDL below 70 ( I can stay between 66 and 80 without statins.

There was a past discussion about the use of statins on this forum, from several months, maybe even a year ago.
Thre consesnsus seemed to be that the effects are vaiable among the type 1 population. I personally avoid them and am no worse the wear. But then as Joe noted, it is the inflammation we need to control. as I said above I requested a co- reactive protein test and as I noted mine was .02, which is optimum.So definitely no statins for me.

God Bless,
Brunetta
I do not understand the requirement to be under 70. On my lab results, it says specifically, that under 100 is OK for diabetics if the person does not have existing CVD. The target of 70 is for persons with diabetes WHO DO HAVE CDV.
Brunetta, i am on traqck with all you suggested. My CRP is fine. I think these docs try to cover their butts sometimes and get caught up in the drug consciousness. They are surrounded by it. I just hoped my doc was a bove that.

Good we have others to share knowledge.

Stay well.

Lisa
Here's a fact for you .65% of all people enter the hospital with a heart attack have "low"or "normal " cholesterol levels and 85% of them have "good" hdl and ldl ratio .

The culture that has the lowest cholesterol level has the highest heart attacks ;while the country that has the highest cholesterol levels have the fewest heart attack.

The biggest danger for the diabetic is AGEs , high glyconation does the biggest damage to the arteries,which causes inflammation .
Joe,

thanks for the stats. So how do we avoid the AGES besides diet, exercise ,vitamins? The blood sugar fluctuations make it tough to slow the AGES...dont you think?
Follow the money trail!!!!!!
I dont get it...but I dont get many things.
I was on lipitor for years this was before dx of type 2. I started taking Lipitor when it was a tier 1 prescription. My ENDO changed me over to Crestor and I saw a 20 to 30 point drop in my total Cholesterol. I never saw any side effects except in the wallet

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service