Hello all. The name is Robert and I've been off and on tudiabetes over the past 3 years. I got on when I lost my insurance (with a high paying job) and when I began taking a very potent diabetes drug named GLYBURIDE. I couldn't afford a visit back to my doctor at the time and I was passing out because of my sudden change from running 200+ glucose down to 70 and below in a matter of days.

Thank God, I was able to find this site and I was able to find some very helpful information that helped me along the next few years as a diabetic without health care.

The year is now 2012, and I now have health care. Even though my diabetes is classified as "pre-existing condition" and for now not covered at all by my insurance, I am in a good paying job that has allowed me to afford doctor visits and tests. Also, I was able to find test strips at a very affordable price... lower than if I went through my insurance.

Right now, I'm treating my diabetes with a nightly dosage of Kombiglyze (2.5mg with 1,000mg) and a morning dosage of 2.5mg of Glipizide. I found with the addition of Glipizide, my body's initial reaction was great. I tested myself 5 times per day for the first two days and saw my glucose drop from an average of 160n per day to 110 per day. My lowest reading was 75. Because the Glipizide got my glucose levels so low, I found myself needing to eat more often to prevent my body from running too low of a glucose level. As a result, I've gained 5 pounds in the past month, which is what I don't need. I am 5'10" and now weigh 195. I know I need to lose at least 15 pounds. A few years ago, I was down to 170 and my glucose was at 130 without any medications at all.

I would like to hear from others my age or older as to how they are dealing with Diabetes at our age.

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Robert, I'm 55 and I'm doing like most here on Tudiabetes in that I'm doing what I have to. I don't think there is any one answer that can be given. I just test and adjust and then test some more. I adjust my diet and since I'm on multiple insulin injections I adjust my doses. I'm a long term T2 and haven't always taken good care of myself but I have finally gotten it thru my thick skull that I must do this. Managing pretty good right now.

Gary S

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service