Here is the link to this lady's website.
http://www.livewithouttype1.com/

It seems she claims to have cured her daughters type 1 diabetes with diet. I don't understand how she is managing this. I think a honeymoon period would explain some of it, but that should be over by now. A carb-less existence would help for a while. Those of you with more knowledge and experience please check it out and let me know what you think. Don't worry, I don't think that this would work for us as my 12 year old would starve on this diet.

Views: 686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How many would you like me to ask? I've already got 4 very highly regarded endos who will tell you that a "honeymoon" phase can last years.
Just because it's not commonly heard of, doesn't mean it can't happen, right? I'd think you'd be the first to agree with that particular statement.
I can agree with that ANYTHING is possible....only time will tell and I hope for all of us this will one day be shared happily as a choice for parents and T1D's if it indeed is not a honeymoon extension. Every Endo I've talked can't explain it, hasn't see a honeymoon last that long and my daughter never had a honeymoon phase so I'm not sure how it could be.
You actually don't need to consult an endo to find out how long a honeymoon lasts, it's well documented in the literature. A quick scan of Frederick Allen's documentation (1919, pre-insulin) of the diabetics he treated reveals that he treated children who could be kept alive on Allen's starvation diet for 5 years (some may have lasted longer than that, that's just what my quick scan revealed). In studies in adults, antibody-positive individuals could go free of insulin for up to 12 years.
The first written record describing Type 1 diabetes was more than 3,500 years ago. That was way before modern society, human-made toxins, genetically engineered foods. If in fact this woman cured her Type 1 child, surely some scientist would have studied this and documented it, but that has not happened. Yes, the honeymoon period can be prolonged and last a long time, but no one has found a way to halt the autoimmune process. Sadly, especially when newly diagnosed, people are so desperate and so vulnerable to false claims and false hopes. The most important thing is, if you have Type 1 diabetes or if your child has Type 1 diabetes, do not stop administering exogenous insulin. Before 1921, people with Type 1 diabetes were kept alive for several years on a starvation diet (that we now know prolonged the honeymoon period), but sadly of course all of them ultimately died within a few years.
WELL SAID MELITTA!!!
Wow! That created some opions, which is great! We can all be learning from each other constantly. Just to address a couple things. One, you are all right, this is not a cure, I used that term wrong. This is just a regiment to manage Diabetes without insulin. I don't follow this regiment so I don't know exactly what is entailed, but I know they don't eat gluten (they use things like almond flour, millet and quinoa), no dairy, or sugar (they subsitute small amounts of stevia or agave nectar). Please note, no one ever said this is a low carb diet. There are many reasons why low carb, high protein diets aren't good for a diabetic. Of course I believe in science and I know that Type 1 is developed as an autoimmune disorder, but thank goodness for all of us there are new developments everyday. I go to a lot of Diabetes conferences and almost every Type 1 I know is on a pump and CGM. These are very new developments! But please do not disregard food science as very important too. I would never tell a parent to take their child off insulin cold turkey, but for those that are interested, do some research and try these foods on your newly diagnosed child and see how there blood sugar reacts. If they require less insulin, isn't that a step in the right direction? Also, I have no reason to push some sort of scheme. I'm just a woman with a lot of years of Type 1 who spends a lot of time helping other diabetics. I don't even see how eating a certain way would make someone money. Kim was not trying to gain anything except another choice for families. Like mentioned, she is very on top of this and if her child needs insulin one day, of course she would take care of her. Maybe she is a pioneer...if her daughter never needs insulin again we will have one successful case study. For those new to the world of Diabetes, be cautious of those on here that are so hostile. I'm a little surpised because as a person who has heard everything in the book about Diabetes, I have learned to deal with people with great understanding. Stress can raise your blood sugar so just calm down :) You will hear a lot of new information and many people don't know what they are talking about (including doctors) and even more people are close minded, but being mentored by someone with a lot of personal experience in the disease is invaluable. No endocrin can tell your exactly what your insulin ratios are, you will become the masters of your own disease. Everyone stay strong and remember you can live a really wonderful life with Diabetes whetheryou control with food or insulin, though it's a daily challenge. But don't stop researching! Believe me, I have known families who are a part of JDRF that have taken interest to this new topic and most people are incredibely grateful to be exposed to new ideas.
I don't think of myself as closed minded. I'm willing for anything to help all us out there. I just want to see that ppl are going to keep a check on their bs's and keep the insulin handy just incase.
Have you not read anything I've posted? You people talk in circles. Let go of the idea that anyone is "denying insulin" "starving" or not "checking their bg's" and read what we are REALLY doing. It would be helpful if people were actually read the thread and be productively debating on here and not just falsely accusing very intelligent, capable parents of the same things that have been answered here over and over.

If you ate a leaf and checked your bg and you were 45 would you give yourself insulin just for fun? That sounds dangerous. When I test my child before a meal and she is 82 and I feed her grilled chicken, steamed broccoli and 2 red potatoes (sound dangerous?) and test her an hour later (no insulin given) and she is 89 and two hours later she is 85 you're suggesting that I'm being dangerous NOT giving her insulin? I don't get your argument?
I"M trying hard not to agrue with you but you keep persisting on it. Do what u have to do and hopefully it will start something new that will result in something for our future diabetics. Now let bygones be bygones.
You're trying hard not to argue? You've accused me of endangering my child. I'm just trying to understand what it is that you see is dangerous, you clearly don't get it. I wish you all the best, there was a reason I stopped coming on this website I shall heed that self talk once again as I feel my blood pressure rising from the few minutes I've been on here.
Have you ever thought it was a mis-diagnosis? If you are feeding here and she at 82 and 2 hours later she is at 85? Sounds like her pancreas is still producing insulin, if not then her BS would be a lot higher because of the potato's!
I'm thinking the same. Maybe she never was T1. Maybe she has MODY - many with MODY are able to go off insulin. This seems a lot more likely a diagnosis than T1, given the information I see...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service