I have been taking Byetta for almost a year. Has anyone heard of any long term side effects from Byetta?

Views: 416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I took Byetta for nearly two years and I had no long term effects. I've not heard about any long-term effects. Some practitioners like Bernstein beleive it loses effectiveness over time and should be rotated with other medication regimes (like Victoza) . And despite rumors, my face is not a result of long-term Byetta use.
Thank you so much for the info. I have to go for my routine bloodwork in a week or so & follow up with my Dr on my meds. I was just wondering about any long term side effects because the last week after I take my Byetta, I get this terrible wave of nausea come over me & I feel like I am going to throw up plus I am so hot like I am in a heat wave.lol Anyway, I am going to ask my Dr about it. I have been on Byetta for a while & have never felt as sick as I have this last week after I do my shot. When you were on Byetta did you ever have any side effects like that?
One of the report side effects of Byetta is nausea. Often patients are started on 5 mcg and then slowly moved up to a full dose of 10 mcg. I apparently have an iron stomach and could eat worms and not get nauseous. I have heard from others that had trouble and had to move slowly. I was advised by my endo to time my Byetta at one hour before meal for maximum effectiveness. I think most people have nausea on an empty stomach. So one way of minimizing side effects might be to inject right at your meal and let your food help ease the nausea. Then over time you can roll your injections back to be the recommended time before the meal.
I have always taken it on an empty stomach & it never did this to me before. Maybe It is just a change in by body for some unknown reason. It seems to only do it in the morning but not in the evening. I have been on 10 mcg for a long time, like I said started almost a year ago, like June 2010. Sometime it helps my appetite & sometimes not. I am going to keep taking it & talked to my Dr about it when I go.
I took it for a year and the only thing I can say is after awhile it did not effect my appetite. The same with Victoza after I was on it for 5 or 6 months it no longer had an effect. I am back on MDI insulin
Sometimes it helps me & sometimes not. I am wondering too if I need to change to the Victoza. My Dr said that the Byetta has greater effect on the appetite but I don't know. I also take metformin. I am a type 2, not to the point of insulin yet.

I have been on byetta for 4-5 years now. The first year and a half I had no nausea nor any appetite suppression, and did not lose even l pound, though it did lower my glucose well. Then after 18 months, I started having the appetite suppression and some nausea and have lost 45 pounds slowly over the past 3 years or so. I take the shot, then eat immediately to help avoid nausea. I still get full very quickly and the food gets unappetizing fairly quickly. The loss of desire for food lasts the rest of the day usually, so for the past 9 months or so, I only take one shot (10 mg) a day, with my endo's full permission. I take it morning, noon, or evening, depending on if eating out or a party or something. If it is a day at home, I try to take the shot by late afternoon or before. I like to get it out of my system before bedtime or I often don't sleep well because of coldness, bloating, and mild nausea and generally feeling not as well as normal. Sometimes I handle the shot well without nausea and other times get sick to the point of throwing up. I can't see the rhyme or reason to it by what or how much I eat. I do go uncomfortably low at about 2-3 hours after the shot, and that's usually when I feel nauseated. I reach my highest glucose reading about 6 hours after the shot. I had read about the "coldness" after the shot on a different discussion list. I didn't have that the first few years of byetta, but I do now.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service