Looks like I'm approved for the MM CGM, but................................

I have a few questions. The more I read about the CGM's I wonder if I will be disiplaned enough to get the most out of it. The other piece I'm worried about is if it's not accurite will I get fed up with it. and lastly I'm very skinny for a guy ( aprox a 140lb weakling ) what problems will I have with this situation. With infusion sites I mainly use my abdomen below my belt line, or I'll use my legs ( not much to pinch above the belt line. With my work I am both not very active, touring my market, or I may jump in and work activly which causes me to go low quickly. If I go with the MM will I wish I went with one of the other CGM's but I do like the fact that the MM has a total package the should all work together but......... on some post that I have read states that many are disapointed with their MM. Any advice besides take a prozac????

Views: 821

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Got my MM CGM a couple of weeks ago and I've seen some pretty inaccurate numbers, but mostly they've been alright. I still test on my finger 5-9 times a day.

The one area the MM CGM really shines for me is overnight, I've managed to catch a pretty good case of hypo unawareness and am finding that my basals have been driving me below 60 overnight and I never wake up. I've been able to fine tune my basals with the CGM.

As far as painful insertions, I use my stomach (skinny, not many areas I can use) and I hold an ice cube wrapped in celophane on the site for 30 -45 seconds, numbing the area. I never feel it and have had little to no bleeding.
Hey Gordon,
I recommend a CGM, regardless of what kind. The info you can get from it is very cool, despite time lags and the inaccuracies which are bound to happen for a bit.

I really like my MM CGM (not love it), and have no problems with pain. My worst sentiment is the lag in readings, and I still test 10 times a day to keep up to date. Lows can be tough, it is usually far behind on them.

Hope you figure out something, a trial sounds super, but don't get frustrated immediately, it takes some getting used to! Best of luck.
I got an opportunity to try the MM CGM since yesterday. I am T2 and it really is opening my eye to my BS. It’s pretty incredible to see the rise and fall in close to real time. It does require calibration with a glucose meter for the initial setting and a minimal calibration every 12 hours. The first 5 hours I had it on the numbers were way off. It read 160 when by BS were over 200 with my meter. After adding the BS value it corrected itself and since then it has been pretty close but still about 10-30 points off . I have noticed that there is a lag time between the CGM and my meter but this is expected as I understand that the sensor is reading interstitial fluid and not capillary blood. I’m not too sure if the CGM can be used as reliably and accurately to treat exact numbers like a glucose meter but it can definitely show accurate trends and I suppose you can make decisions based on the trend info. If you are interested, I am videoing my experiences with the MM CGM and MM Paradigm pump this week and will post on my videoblog next week at www.mysugartv.com.
I'll be starting on the Dexcom CGM next week. Don't have a pump but I have been considering the Omni Pod and I think Dexcom will soon be intergrating them both. I have hypo unawareness so I thought getting a CGM may help. Like someone else said, I don't know if I'll use it all the time or just occasionally. I really want to try and see trends. I've also heard don't expect it to replace finger sticks, it's mainly for seeing trends and warnings of lows and highs.
I was told by my company (Dexcom) that the only FDA approved site for the CGM implant is the stomach area (above the belt line). I find when I inject the implant it there, it works pretty accurately. It works best in areas of fat. I am not fat, but my leg and lower abdomen (below the belt line) would not work as there is not enough fat there. I put the sensor on the top of my butt below the belt line sometimes, but that too is not as accurate as the stomach.

I find that the CGM is an amazing devise and have been using it for the last 4 months or so. My A1c's dropped 1.0 points (from 6.5 to 5.5) since I began using it. I hope that you can figure out your machine. Sorry, no specific comments on the MM CGM as I have never used it. Good luck!
Well let me step out again if I get something wrong please don't have a cow. I have the paradigm pump with the real time glucose monitor I am not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about however I have found a few things out that you may want to check into. The sensor will be no problem I have my site on the right side of me and put my sensor on the left side so that I am rotating better. The sensor is covered with a big clear bandage called and IV 3000 which helps it to stay on and not catch on clothing or anything. It can be very accurate but you do not want to start it out with a high sugar it really messes things up over 300 is what i am calling high. Also you do not want to read what your pump says your blood sugar is and cheat and enter that as your actual blood sugar...yes I have done that when i put the sensor on at midnight and then it woke me up beeping to take a blood sugar, i was to tired to get up and the next day had to take alot more bs to get it straightened out. Also I lost my sensor once and called the company and was told I could get a new one every 6 months not sure if you have to but you can. My insurance and medicare pays for most of my supplies but I am still left with a pretty hefty bill, however it has really helped me to pay attention not only to my sugars but to the things going on around me what is causing me stress when my pump goes off and I want to throw it through the wall I have to step back and say ok what is stressing me out here. All in all I love it and it has helped me immensely.
I have had the MM CGM (w/ 722 pump...) for about a year now and I love it! I loathe the gnarly needle but the data is *priceless* and has been really useful. I'd run 5.5-7.0 A!Cs for a few years, got a pump and was able to get to 5.8 pretty much *all* the time which is ok, but I wondered why I couldn't improve it but the CGM got me to 5.4? I like the extra control and flexibility with the pump a lot. I calibrate it 3x/ day and use the sensors for 6 days, which I don't think is recommended but a lot of times, once it's 'set', it seems to work pretty well and I figure if it's working, why take it out of circulation while it's still providing good data? I had one day last week where an unexpected flat tire, threw off my schedule and I ran out of time to replace it when the second three day period ran out and I said 'well, I might as well see what happens...' and the sensor provided good data for another day before it died late that night. I don't keep track of anything but I am pretty sure the days that it's most 'off' are on 'start' days and once I get it pounded into shape, and perhaps I cheat by eating really conservatively on those days, it works very well for me. I have perceived the 'MM suxx' vibe but that hasn't been my experience at all. I am looking forward to getting a new Revel pump from them next spring.

I am not a fan of the IV3000 tape at all though. I was about a week into pumping and ran my first 1/2 marathon and, unfortunately, about 3 miles into it, the tape got loose and the sensor ripped out so I was data less for the rest of the run. I got some FlexFix tape that is a lot more durable that I have not had any problems with, even for 6 days at a time

In my opinion, all the devices that exist in diabetes land work. It's based on personal preference and how your body adapts to it. I also think it's in your mindset. When I was originally going on the pump, I just thought the Omnipod PDM was more attractive and didn't really listen to the MM lady. Two years later, I was ditching Omnipod for the MM pump and love it. It hasn't been perfect and I've learned some tricks being on this website. Other diabetics are your best friend because we all learn ways around the built in systems these companies have. I just started on the CGM recently and haven't had any issues at all. It is fairly accurate and hasn't given me any issues. They're also coming out with a newer version that inserts differently and is a bit smaller which might help the inaccuracy issues. I love that it yells at me but I also know that I need to rely on my blood glucose meter always. No CGM is spot on accurate and they all have a bit of a delay.

My advice: no matter which one you get, I'm sure there will be something that comes up. It's inevitable. My BEST idea was joining this site and finding other's suggestions. No matter what the technology that you decide to use.

I started with a MM pump but for some strange reason, my ENDO wouldn't write a script for MM. I wound up with an Animas which I really dislike. My Endo is now an ex-endo! I can't wait to get back to MM which I really liked and probably still will.

But the CGM device is a different matter. As far as I can tell, the Dexcom (which I have been using for a few years) works well and can be used for seven days. The MM CGM is restricted to three days (I don't know why). Have you looked into the cost of one vs the other in the long run? I am thinking the MM pump and the DEXCOM CGM would be the best choice for me. Your opinion??

Jeff

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service