Hello,
I am new here today. I am a 43-year-old type 1, have had it for 22 years. I am on an insulin pump and have great control. But my problem is like many other type 1s, I cannot lose any weight no matter how hard I try. I know this is long,please bear with me.

My entire life before and after diagnosis I was thin, very thin. Back then in 1990 when dx'd, I was taught exchanges for my meal plan and have honestly always done that and eaten pretty much what I wanted with no problems with weight gain or blood sugars - I've always maintained excellent control. I did not start the pump until I got pregnant at 36 yrs old and I was never taught carb counting. I was thin until I went on Lantus at about age 32 and then gained about 12 lbs but still was slim around 137 lbs at 5'6" (which I thought that was fat! ha!). During pregnancy, I gained a TON of weight and have never been able to shed it all, 6 years later. I need to lose about 16 lbs. to get back to 137 lbs. just to feel Ok about myself. For 6 years since having my only child, I've tried everything to lose weight - Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, boot camps, counting calories, etc. etc. The most I've lost is about 6 lbs on Nutrisystem in 1 month and then it came right back after I stopped that program and ate normal food. I am frustrated and depressed and feel very badly about myself. I don't want to be super skinny, I am realistic, I just want to be a good healthy weight for my height and at 155 lbs now I am not. I sure can maintain a weight though, I stay about the same.

I have talked over and over with my endo about this and he's not really much help - just tells me it's "calories in/calories burned" to lose, but I've done that and it does not work for me. I've researched some about doing low-carb and am ready to try it but I wanted to hear others' experiences about it. I have a call into the endo to get set up with a nutritionist to help me, but in the meantime, I'd like to get started ASAP as it's summer and again, I am still too big. I want to lose even just 5 lbs and I'd be happy at this point but need to lose 16 eventually.

How many grams of carbs a day should I stick to to lose weight? I can't go no-carb, I love carbs and I get really hungry without them - I tried Atkins and last about 2 days. Something has to work at some point right? I want to know the best formula for losing with what other type 1s have had success with - how many carbs per day, what types, how much protein,etc? If I do this, what can I expect to lose per week and how long should it take? What have been others' experiences?

I have recently started exercising again doing Zumba 2x per week and walking 3 other days.

I am motivated, I just want something that will finally work for me.I refuse to believe type 1s cannot ever lose weight and I have to be this way forever! I am sorry this is so long, I am just sad and frustrated. Any help and advice would be very appreciated!

Views: 3722

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats, Tikicristi! Keep up the good work! It is amazing, isn't it, that we can cut carbs and eat less and soon we lose the urge for all the junk and feel much better in addition to losing weight!

I've been frustrated too, because I don't overeat, don't eat much processed food and have slowly but surely been gaining a few pounds each year - a total of 14 since diagnosis. I have a hard time losing weight but I lowered my carbs last week from "under 100" to 39-59 and it is starting to work so I'm ecstatic. Your success helps me too!

Good for you, congrats, keep at it. It's a lot of work, but the payoff as you can attest is really worth it.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service