Hi all!
I'm in the process of trying to find a diet that is low card, in order for me to loose weight and will go well with my diabetes,
My sugar levels are always high, so I am hoping this will reduce them.
Has anybody had any luck with anything like this?
Any examples of diets would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: diets.

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know we always get bogged down in definitions like this, but I think when most people refer to "low carb" they mean Bernstein which is 30 grams a day. I also eat around 100, which I consider "moderate low". 30 grams is a lot more stringent than 100, and a lot harder, imho. Though I agree with you, Randy, that it is really a question of getting used to a change, as well as past the addictive nature of many carbs.

I have gone back to the low carb approach (about 90-120g per day). I am pretty active and this definitely resulted in some weight loss. It also resulted in (obviously) less insulin each day, and this cut down my huge swings in BG levels. Overall, I just feel better when I stick to a diet that is under 130g carbs per day. Anything over that and I start having larger swings in BG.

I've been D for 5 years and have done varying levels of carbs. What works best for me is 30 carbs per day. It has allowed my body to find it natural weight range which I have maintained for more than 2 days. I am still able to eat tons of calories and enjoy cookies, muffins and even chocolate fudge, all made low carb. My bgs are great too, usually around 100 or below. I use Dr Bernstein's diet as a framework but do what works for me. I started by giveing up classes of foods. I started giving up all boxed cereals, then oatmeal. I then gave up wheat products which cut out a lot of carby foods. I started to use almond flour which opened up a whole new world of recipes for me.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service