Hi everyone, new to this site, wow, really enjoying what I am reading, learning lots of things that my endo never told me. And I have had three different ones.

Here's my question - recently I have been experiencing lows, more than I should, right before lunch and sometimes before bed. However, when I am low before lunch, 2.7 mmol, i eat my lunch but on more than one occasion, my lips and tongue start to go numb. I describe the feeling as after you have visited the dentist and the freezing starts to ware off, that is what i have been experiencing on several occasions. Plus feel unstable on my feet for a minute or so.

Has anyone else experienced that?

Views: 1110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yes. Manytimes!

Yes! This happens to me fairly often when I am low. I never heard anyone else mention it, so I thought it was just me!

i get this an awful lot! i also get really argumentative/snappy with people xx

Hi- When I experience lows My lips and tounge also experience numbness So I check my Bg. lately its been happening in afternoon. My enso has adjusted my pump but always seem to go low in afternoons. I am a 49yo type 1 since age of 3 and on pump for 4 years. I have had low drop real low while I was driving and thank go nothing to bad happened.

I get the numbness thing too if I'm very low, and definitely shaky on my feet - it feels dangerous to walk, as if I'm drunk. My field of vision narrows/blurs if I'm really low or high.

It sort of feels like you may have been to the dentist. As I have few symptoms of lows, if I catch one it's usually because of this.

It's one of the first physical symptoms I feel. My jaw tends to go real tight too.

I have been type 1 for 58 years. Experienced many, many lows. It wasn't until a few years ago that I experienced the numb tingling lips and tongue. I usually find I get confused really easily and cannot put two thoughts together in my brain. I also get EXTREMELY aggitated, angry, argue with people. A few times I have become "combative" at the person trying to help me !! Some people cannot believe the change in my regular personality.! I have also experienced most of the other symptoms, sweating, shaking, tunnel-vision, difficulty with balance. Years ago with no testing available we had to rely on feelings to detect a low.!
Sheila

I to get the Lows I have been type 1 for 46 years now on pump. Since Iv been on pump lost over 50lbs and the doctor is constantly lowering my afternoon basal. When I get low i to get aggitated and argue and combative. Likly I only live with 2 dogs and can't work due to MS. I was on CGM but that didn't help I still was dropping super low. Iam fine as long as my bg dosn't drop below 50. Yes I do catch it before it gets that low I eat between 200 and 300 carbs a day I am 6'1
180 male. I keep sweets around all over the place just in case

Hi Bill:
Sounds like you need to lower your basals dramatically. Eating 200 to 300 carbs a day is a lot. I have been on the pump for about 9 years now and have the CGM. It is not always accurate but is helpful to see which way your BG is going. Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book and seen how many carbs he advocates for healthy living. Most type 1's find that more insulin plus more carbs equals weight gain. Are your carbs "chasing" your insulin ?
Sheila

Just this week alone I'v been eating 130 to 260 carbs. and bg in the last 24 hours was 107 and 3 day average was 113. My doctor told me 200 carbs is good for person my size and with the disability of MS (balance and long walks problem) . My Basal rates are as follows (12a to 4A -1.5 /
4ato6a - 1 / 6a to 10a - 1.2 / 10a to 1p - .9 / 1p to 5pm - .65 / 5p to 11:59p - .9 )
Carb ratio is 1 - 9 whole day

Unfortunately it is a symptom of low blood sugar. I've had diabetes for over 24 years now and still get that stupid symptom. There are many symptoms that you can get when you have a low sugar. Personally I get very shaky, extremely hot to the point of sweating, numbness of my tongue and very irritable and yes most of the time I get all these sypmtoms at once. I'd suggest checking your blood sugar 2 hours before lunch to see what your ranging you may need a better snack mid morning.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service