Just curious if anyone stays fairly 'normal' most of the day, and then bottoms out in the afternoon? I just had my lowest BG reading since I've been checking.. it was at 68. I felt fine, but decided to take two glucose tabs because my BG had dropped from 93 to 68 in the span of a couple hours..

An hour and a half later, it was back down to 85 which is fine.

I think I may back off on my daytime Lantus from 5u to 4u... and keep the night time amount the same.

But my 3am readings are never low. I guess I am backwards. :/

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just tagging on John's post, palamino. If you eat close together be sure you take into account the Insulin on Board (IOB) when you bolus. First determine your duration of action which can vary from 3-5 hours depending on type of insulin. Then do the math and subtract for any insulin on board.

Wound up not skipping lunch, but waited 5.5 hours before eating lunch today and also adjusted the I:C ratio. Everything went a lot better than yesterday- so I think I did indeed stack insulin and had it all screwed up.

Thanks again..

Glad it's going better! Computing the IOB is vital, but eating a bit less close together also helps with the problem! I use Apidra which has the least tail, so I compute only 3 hours for duration. I only need to consider IOB when I've corrected after a meal, but of course I now have a pump that does the math for me! I'm pretty good at math, but it's nice to be lazy! (Not that I always listen to the pump wizard!)

Haha. So you can use Humalog, Novalog, or Apidra in the pumps as well?

Yes, that's what you use in the pump, just fast acting insulin. The pump supplies your background insulin needs by giving you regular small doses of fast acting, rather than the once or twice daily dose of long-acting on MDIs.

Just didn't realize it was the same ones; hadn't thought much about it.. With the Apidra, since it has a shorter tail, do you have more risk of going into DKA sooner than with the other two? Just wondering if something comes detached and you don't realize it..

I knew someone on another message board who used R in hers. You had to wait a couple of hours but, once it was going, it was going just fine.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service