Friends- does anyone with type 1 wear a medical bracelet/ID that says you are diabetic? Is this an important thing to have? Everyone in my work place and family already knows I am diabetic. Is it important?

Tags: bracelet, id, medical

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recently updated my Medic Alert information (I didn't realize that the last time it was updated was prior to me going off to college over 12years prior!). Not only do I wear the necklace, but I carry a sheet of paper attached to my car visor with all the current medications that I take (diabetic and asthmatic). My necklace also states that I have drug allergies which is also important for first responders to know. It came in quite handy this school year when I had the paramedics respond to work when I was in a fullblown asthma attack and unable to respond to their questions....
I DO! And I am a type II. I've worn one since the day I found out I had "D". I think it is vitally important that we wear one, that people with any chronic disease wears one. You aren't always going to be with family and friend and work people. You maybe out with people who don't know you....and something happens...what will tell them that you are a type I diabetic.

As an example, and I am sure we all have them. A friend of mine was in a car accident last fall, she had taken her bracelet off to have it fixed at the jewelers, she crashed her car into a railroad tie, and as to be medivaced to the nearest hospital, with no bracelet. It took them four times with the heart paddles to get her back, and she was in a coma for three days. It was only 10 hours later that her husband was contacted (I know another problem) but, it wasn't until then that the hospital knew for sure that she was a diabetic. No one had a clue, they though her sugars were the least of her problems, and pumped her full of fluids because of other injuries. IF she had been wearing her bracelet....the emt's would have seen it and treated her there for that, and been able to figure our quicker what another problem was.

SO YES, GET A BRACELET AND WEAR IT!~ You are too valuable to your family, friends and co-workers to lose over a silly piece of metal.
I wear my bracelet all the time. Has Type 1 and a list of allergies. I also have a necklace but find it too annoying to wear.
I have a charm that i wear everyday. I either wear it on a chain as a necklace or I have a pandora bracelet and it fits right on there. I figure that the charm is easier than having to tell everyone around you, and it makes me feel safer.

I can give you the website i got the charm from because i know there's a lot more obnoxiously large bracelets out there than a simple charm.
I wear one whenever I'm not at home. I first got it because I was walking alone a lot and my mother worried. Now, I feel incomplete without it--the same way I do when I forget my cell phone.
I also wear Medic Alert. I initially got one because my mother made me when I was diagnosed. When I was a teenager I went through a phase where I got tired of people asking or commenting about it, so I got a necklace. I guess it made me feel better, and ti kept my mom quiet. = )
They have phone number the doctors can call to get all of your information (based on your id number). This includes whomever you designate as your emergency contact people and medical information. I have kidney trouble, so that should be known in case of emergency, and if they want to give me steroids in the ER or want to take me in for emergency surgery, they will know they have to check my bg more often. It gives me peace of mind. I am an engineer, though, so I do like to be cautious.
I didnt want to wear a medical bracelet at first. I figured I told everyone around me and I had ICE numbers in my phone until my boyfriend at the time nagged me to get one. He said it made him feel better if I had one but then my excuse was I didnt see anything I thought was cute, lol...Eventually I found a website that offered cute ones and 4 bracelets later I feel naked without it. I feel safer with a bracelet on because lets face it no one can tell your a diabetic by looking at you and if your passed out how could you tell them.
I wear the basic Medic Alert medallion around my neck.

I think it's really important for all the reasons people have already said. I like Medic Alert because I can register detailed info with them (medical conditions, allergies, etc.) and the hospital/doctor can get access to this info easily. In fact, I wrote sort of a tribute to this topic in my blog a couple of months ago. You can check it out at http://www.spinningdinnerplates.com/2010/11/all-that-glitters/.

Cheers,
Corinna
I am on an insulin pump so I figure it would be found by an EMT if anything happened to me. I also have a medical charm engraved Diabetes and also had a small silver I.D. bracelet engraved with Diabetes instead of my name.
Reading all of these responses scared me so I need to start wearing my I D bracelet all of the time.
I wear a necklace when I am out in public alone....if I think of it.
It's important for those times when you aren't around people who know you. They are for those unpredicted unexpected times and can truly save your life.
I got a guitar pick looking necklace a few years go:

I replaced the cheapo chain in the pic w/ a cheap stainless steel linked chain and took it to a jewelry store to get a higher quality link holding the ID on than me rigging something up w/ wire. It was like two days before Xmas but they were like "it's a medic alert? That's an emergency!" and did it in an hour which I thought was very nice.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service