Monthly query: TuDiabetes Turns Five! Where were you, in relation to your diabetes, five years ago?

How has your relationship to your diabetes changed in the last 5 years? Maybe you have learned new skills to help you better manage your blood sugars, or made needed progress in accepting your life with diabetes. Maybe you've gotten a little lax with your care and need to re-inspire your will power to eat carefully and exercise regularly.

Reflect on where you were the year TuDiabetes began and where you are now, and share the changes you see, either in the discussion below, in your blog (please post the link to your blog in the discussion below so we can find it), or with photos!

Tags: birthday, change, question, reflection, tudiabetes

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Five years ago, I had been Type 1 for 20 years and had fairly good control. I had a pretty healthy diet although I knew nothing of cgms and I'm sure now that I was probably having bg spikes that I just didn't know about, but my fasting numbers were good and steady with no issues with DP. I did what I needed to do but diabetes did not rule my life. I traveled, ate out successfully with no problems, worked a busy and stressful job, and had a full satisfying family life.

I stayed with MDI all this time because my numbers were good and my endo said that better control with the pump would be incremental to the control I was achieving at that time with MDI.

Fast forward... and about one year ago, my bg began fluctuating wildly with sudden drops at night. I skipped about 4 months of menstrual periods during this time. I woke up in the middle of the night with racing heart, waves of tingling from head to toe, feeling as though my skin was on fire, and nausea. The waves of tingling were so severe that I was afraid I was having a stroke, although it was head to toe all over my body. My PCP saw me the next day and did an ekg and lab work that showed my hormone levels were at menopausal levels.

Since then my life has turned upside down because my attention to the diabetes and trying to control the fluctuating bg levels has been all consuming. I now have a cgm, which wakes me up almost nightly, mostly to correct highs. I now have a fierce DP. At this point in my life, diabetes is ruling my life because of the hormonal shifting. I can't eat out successfully, I am afraid to travel with out of control bg, I am tired at work from having to get up so often during the night.

Nobody prepared me for this. There's no research on menopause and Type 1, nor is there any literature. The endos and CDEs have no information on what to expect or how to react. The only answer I get is "you'll eventually get through it and things will settle down". Well, thanks, but in the meantime my body is going through the wringer.

The good news is that I found TuDiabetes when I was searching for info on menopause and Type 1. The people here have helped me more than you know and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I wish that I had found this place 5 years ago because I think I would have had more tools in my toolkit so to speak heading into this rough patch of life.

The rest of the good news is that I go live on OmniPod on March 13 and I'm hoping that will bring me one step closer to achieving the control that I used to have and maybe even a little better. :) Thank you all for being here.

Your story really touched my heart. I don't know why there is so little interest in helping women through menopause, but I do know that we deserve better from the medical community.

Well,

Five years ago I was doing the bare minimum. I didn't carb count, I didn't do low carb, I just basaled the crap out of myself four times a day and ate when I went low.

I over treated both highs and lows, my HbA1c was 8.5 and I tested my blood sugar only when I was feeling really sick or guilty that it had been four days since my last test.. I suffered from dreadful moodswings, was depressed, anxious, completely knackered and not much fun to be around.

I was partying, drinking too much, reckless in other areas of my life.

Seems alien now looking back at it.

I finally grew up, accepted my diabetes, got some counselling, started making small changes monthly which soon became habitual.

My HbA1c is 6%, I have a pump, I test 10 times a day at least, I bolus for everything I eat, I weigh my food. I run most days and I am just soooooo much happier and at peace. I rarely have hypos and I consider a 140 as major high now.

My friends and girlfriend say I am like a different man. My girlfriend actually gave me a hug yesterday and thanked me for all my hard work, saying it saved our relationship and made her want me to be the father of her kids someday and that she was proud of me and she can't believe how much I have changed :)

So at the moment I pretty happy when it comes to my diabetic journey!

Might be different in a few years when the complications kick in ha! ;)

WOW....that is such a great story. Congrats. BTW if you really love that girl I think she would say yes if you asked her to marry you. So don't wait too long and do me a favour - make it something really special she can brag to her friends about. :)

when I was diagnosed 3 years ago, I did everything I was supposed to which included testing, counting, weighing, journaling, injecting and exercising (up to 3 hours a day) and my A1c was at 6. then I started working full time and went into denial about this unseeable disease (to me anyway) my blood sugar would go from a low of 40 (due to over correcting) to highs of 400 (because I could take my insulin after i ate a donut) I felt completely out of control.

Now I am managing again, and am seeing the benefit of diabetes management (in spite of the tediousness of it)

Five years ago, blissful ignorant to what was going to hit our son, how drastically our lifes' were going to change. I knew little about my grandmother's life managing type 1 and how things have changed over those years as well as just 5 years ago, we have the tools and resources now to take the management to an other level. Thank you TuD for being so instrumental!

Five years ago I was into my 48th year of living with D. What has changed are normal things that happen to someone my age. I now have Spinal Stenosis,it's a disorder that affects the nerves in the spine that causes pain in the back and legs.

Had to think about this one. Five years ago I was still injecting Byetta and was enjoying the best level of control I had been able to achieve to date. But that did not last and the Byetta soon began to lose its effect. My BG levels spiraled out of control from there till I started on insulin last year.

Gary S

I remember my days of hatred for this. There was definitely a period of time when I felt like I couldn't stand even ONE MORE DAY with diabetes, and I felt trapped and consumed with anger about it. I'm so sorry you're feeling that way, Carol. It's the worst. I've actually always been grateful that I was diagnosed as a kid, so I never had a comparison to "better times". Everyone's psychology is different, of course, but I think I would not handle that comparison well.

I sincerely hope you arrive at a different place with your diabetes soon, Carol!

Carol just imagine being a teen who was dxed and hadn't lived life yet but I survived and did have a life. My mantra has always been it could have been worse....I'm now in my 53rd year of living with this disease.

I have finally come to terms with it. For me that is huge. My DM2 was the BIG ELEPHANT in the room that I always ignored. I just wanted it to go away. No such luck =(so I have learned to embrace it. Take it and run with it. I have learned that it is so much easier to do that than fight it. I am a working progress small steps everyday.

I'm not sure of the timeline, but I had major life crises during that period. My best and dearest lifelong sister-friend from the time she was 14 and I was 15 died of a ruptured bowel (she had been gravely ill for years), I was "squirreled" out of my job, because the school needed a Spanish-credentialed football coach who could teach ESL more than it needed Japanese-teaching me who just happened to be teaching ESL as well. So they transferred me to a middle school to teach science with no equipment, no curriculum, no nothing except a 10 lb. textbook that 4/5 of the kids couldn't read anyway. And after 5 weeks of trying to teach almost 200 students most of whom couldn't cope with English, reading or just being in school, I didn't even know all their names, and when parents called to see how little Johnny was doing, I didn't even know who Johnny was! So I had a suicidal nervous breakdown and got a disability retirement. Meanwhile, my son got angry at me for reasons unknown and stopped talking to me, and still hasn't resumed.

Needless to say, my diabetes care was crappy, and I pretty much stayed in a major depression until 2010, when I went into a near-fatal coma. I was working with a therapist, but it takes time to recover from such losses. But coming here, I HAVE had a lot of support, and getting a CGM has helped, as well as a number of people (you know who you are) who ALWAYS respond to me when I write them a message. The emotional support that I have found here has been invaluable, and I am grateful to Manny, who started it, and all the rest of you who keep it going! No more comas for me! :-)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service