Hi everyone,
Just came from my doc after getting a pump and using victoza. My A!C was pretty yucky but all my other numbers were fantastic (and I lost 7 lbs), but when my doc look at what was going on - he said, "Wow..your liver is pumping out glucose all night and into the morning." So, after having type 1 diabetes for over 33 years, they finally discovered that IT'S NOT ME!!! (i.e., I'm not getting up at 3 am and eating a whole cheesecake). So...my question is: do any of you know how (other than victoza) to stop my liver from secreting glucagon???
Thanks!!!
Bunny

Views: 495

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, insulin does suppress the Darn Phenomenon. The action is pretty well undershtood. Some people believe that part of the cause of DP is that your body naturally clears insulin more actively in the early morning hours 3-5am. So for most, simply increasing the overnight basal insulin, particularly in that window can markedly reduce DP.

I tried metformin as a way of suppressing DP, all the way up to 2.5g at night, but it never worked. I think I am just insulin deficient. For literally years, I never saw a morning blood sugar under 100 mg/dl, usually much higher. Once I got my insulin properly adjusted, under normal circumstances, I almost never see a reading over 100 mg/dl in the morning.

But in the end, everyone is different. If metformin works for you, then that is a win.
The 2 things that have worked for me are the maximum dose of metformin 2550 mg and a very low carb/high fat diet. If I eat more than 40 carbs a day the DP comes back with a vengence. I also take my last metformin right before my head hits the pillow and take the next one as early as possible in the morning. I take the third pill around 10:00 am to preven liver spikes in the late morning.
nope. timing is key. single large doses never worked for me. taking 500 mg dose at 10:00pm
and dose at 12:00am always works and is working today. i am tired of arguing with pill jockeys over this.

The key is continuous dosage up to strength in blood over the key interval. One large dose still only covers the same duration as small single charge in blood and useless.

I do not know what dum turkey in pill industry thinks that because you put huge up front charge the body automatically redistributes the larger charge ove rmore time.

How stupid! WHere is that written in the liver-gut specs. Residual metforman has no use shutting down liver glucose overcharge as only up to strength in blood works. The mwtformin effigy charge lasts 1 to 3 hours on standard met. Irregardless of pill dose.

ER versions so far do not work and Teva of both types useless while most generic decent types work.

Been there done that.
Just curious, what is you basal number to combat DP tan that of your 12am basal?

What people do not realize when adding insulin, basil or otherwise is that if liver hammers body so hard, the insulin resistance gets turned on hard and that a large charge of insulin will just sit and circulate in body till muscle cells get off loaded of glucose by exercise.

Once I walked the dam glucose readings at 238 in my body down after walking 2 miles down to 140, I would see the injected insulin take off and do its job. i.e. the body can dynamically upgrade and downgrade the insulin receptors of the skeletal muscles based on level of glucose content in skeletal muscles glucose stores.

Science continues to believe in a infinite glucose storage model that does not exist - nor work.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service