I'm familiar with the history of diabetes and the Greek roots of the term and all that however in the course of several recent and lengthy threads, the idea for a name change occurred to me:

DATABETES

I can't think of another disease that is driven by data as much as diabetes. Even if you don't test, the data is still there, perhaps idle, perhaps devouring you at the cellular level. It would enhance public knowledge of what we do which I think would be a good thing. If various celebs want to talk about their diagnosis or their "cure", shut up and show us your data? Carbs in, BG out? How's it goin'? We all do it. The move to data, referenced by Dr. Bernstein in the 1960s and reaching widespread use during the 1980s and wider and wider use these days is where we need to go. The cure and all that is great but I think it's time for a new name. Are you with me?

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love it!

Love it!

Maybe instead of relying on inconsistent lifestyle change approach we can institute a Six Sigma approach based on Deming's Total Quality Management.

Had to look up Six Sigma, great analogy. Here's a link explaining what it is.

I saw a t-shirt which I consider very offensive in here. Calling D as Fiabetes. Nobody is stupid here. How about glucose intolerant? Sounds fancy. And scientific.

We are *very* fancy and scientific people, that's for sure!

Great name change.

I no longer consider myself Type 1; but now consider myself Type FUBAR

Change is good.

How about the word "databetic"?

I am more than my disease, and my disease is more than numbers :-).

That's a tough one. I am averse to the word "diabetic" and try to keep it out of most of my blathering. Databetic has a nice ring to it and the ontological orientation of engaging one's self with one's data seems to be an appropriate badge of honor?

Just where I am personally right now, I think I need more help from my doc with "life and attitude issues" than with numbers.

My bg numbers, I'm pretty happy with.

Maybe if I got more involved with the numbers... I might not be so frustrated about where my life overall is going or how I feel? That might be a definition of "databetic".

Really what other diesease out there requires you to have to consistently 24/7/365 have to adjust your medication levels precisely based on what you are eating, how you are feeling, what kind of activity you are pursuing. Everything we do is all about data processing and management, how if I do this, eat that, will it effect this. For one I dont like Diabetes just cause it has Di in it, sorry not going to let this crap KILL ME. Im going to process that data and kick its butt. I think databetes is a much more accurate name for what we have.

It might help life/attitude stuff to throw yourself into somethings besides diabetes? Get into a hobby or sport (real or fantasy?) or get some hip waders and go into politics, maybe not running for office but it appears to be shaping up to be a hard-fought general election and whichever side you are on is looking for volunteers?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service