So i have been diabetic for over 4 years now. I dont want anyones pitty just help and advice. I just recently got out of the hospital with dka reason being i was sick with the flu that i just could not get my blood sugar down. I was on my death bed litterly. So what i am asking i need to know what the best way to get my blood sugar down to normal i am checking 8 times a day and taking a lot of insulin. I am eating healthy and etc. I need help to figure out the best way to relax and get this done. So any opinions are needed.

Views: 475

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Make sure your Basal Insulin is not bad, or expired. Sounds like the fast-acting is working. Maybe the Basal is in need of switching...just a thought. Good advice from everyone else. Hope you get things a bit leveled out.

The massive fluctuations could also be because you are still sick and your body is fighting off the bug. Under this circumstance it can be really hard to get stable sugars.

Advice given is good.

For now as recommended I'd be eating super low carb, staying really well hydrated, and try to relax / recover as much as possible. Hope things can settle down for you soon.

Agree on the IM corrections - they work great, but be careful to monitor closely as you don't want to overdo anything.

You wrote that you take 22 units of Lantus in the morning. Very likely this one shot will not cover 24 hours. If this is your problem you will have hours with perfect control after the injection of the Lantus. Then when the Lantus is loosing its potency you will see that your numbers are climbing. To prevent this the Lantus can be splitted. This means you inject 11 units in the morning and 11 units 12 hours later. Very likely you will have to increase the Lantus dosage to 15 / 15 or something like this. I assume this because your BG is going higher than 400. This means you are about 7 units short of basal insulin (my rough guestimation). Do the adjustments in small steps to prevent lows and do more testing. The first days will be rough and likely you will need many corrections. By gradually increasing the Lantus in 2 unit steps you will find the right dosage for you. On day one you start with 11 / 11 then on day two or three 13 / 13 and so forth.

That' very good advice and may offer a "simple" (ha ha, relatively simple anyway?) solution? I didn't really realize how much running BG all over the place, cleaning up the "morning mess" every day was until I got it straightened out with a pump and lots of BG tests. Since then, I've sort of stayed on top of it as I just feel better?

I think Zoe gave a very good reply, I agree with that. Also, it's important not to stress over it either way...stress only makes things worse.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service