Hi everyone, thanks for all the warm welcomes. I am here for my son who is 24 diagnosed with t! 5 years ago. He is having a difficult time and has been for about 2 years. He has developed sever anxiety for the fear of his sugar dropping low so he keeps it on the high side which has caused other problems. The dr's keep trying to get him to keep it in range but he has such a mental block, he just wont budge. I have made appts with counselors, other doctors, etc. but he always manages to find an excuse not to go. He has lost tons of weight, has become a recluse and very depressed as he feels there is no hope to get this under control. I would welcom any support, suggestions , etc from anyone who may have some. Thanks for listening. Laura (Kevins mom)

Views: 918

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks so much Jenn! Forwarding your message to Kevin now.

Hi Katrina,
I was reading your story saying yes, this is exactly what Kevin is going through. especially the part where you say What was the point in surviving if I was going to live a life of complete misery?
I cant tell you how often i hear that from him.I feel your pain katrina and as they say some have to hit rock bottom before they get better. I guess thats whats happened to you. Im happy you have found your way and hopefully you can stick with this, its so encouraging to hear happy stories :)

Hi Laura,

I'm so sorry for the pain and struggle that Kevin and your family are going through. I can feel the love for your child in your words. As a mother, I feel for what you're going through and I know that you would take it upon yourself in a flash if you could rid Kevin of this burden. Kevin is blessed to have your support.

I was diagnosed Type 1 at the age of 27 so I didn't live through my entire twenties with this disease but I did go through an extensive grieving phase for the life that I thought I would have....why me, it's not fair, at my age you're supposed to be living life to the fullest not worrying about your health. I think most of us have been there. Then I woke up one day and realized that my daughter needed her mother and I needed to do this for her, even if not for myself. We each find our motivation differently and in a different time frame.

I've had some scary lows that have tested me to the core more than anything else in my lifetime so I understand the fear of lows. After 25 years I have become hypo unaware so that I don't always feel I'm low. The way that I have overcome the fear is through bringing my blood sugar down gradually as others have suggested "in steps", through using a dexcom cgm, and through being super-prepared 24/7. I keep a gatorade in my car drink holder at all times. I keep jelly beans on my desk at work and gatorade/coke on my bookshelf in my office. I carry a glucagon shot kit in my purse and keep one on my desk. It may sound paranoid to some people but it's peace of mind to me. I can function without worrying 24/7.

The dexcom cgm has been life changing for me. I can see the trend lines and know when I'm heading low before I get low so I have time to do something about it. I was having lows almost every day right before I got the dex and now I've almost totally eliminated them. Now when I'm heading low, I can treat it before it gets scary.

Kevin may also eventually want to think about going to an OmniPod pump if he didn't like the tubed pump. I'm old school and still on injections because it's worked for me until recently (old lady hormones kicking around) but I'm going to the OmniPod soon, primarily because it's tubeless - for me, the idea of being attached to a tube is not appealing.

You will find alot of support here and I hope that Kevin will come visit us too..whether it's now or when he's ready, we'll be here. Bless you Laura.

Laura I understand I have a 20 yr old dx at 15 who is very depressed.   I have a 24 year old dx at 22 who is resilient.  I went thru the questions about hospitalization too.  My preference was a camp like setting.  Wellspring for kids 18-24 is good but for those who are overweight.   For your son sounds like he is traumatized, depressed and a little OCD.   I would accompany him to a doctor to get an ssri and then find a good emdr therapist in your area.  Check out Annie Monaco.  To learn more about emdr check out emdria.org.   It is a very effective trauma therapy.  In the summer if there is an inner athlete at all he might want to attend diabetes training camp - it's an amazing experience for t1.   Drive your son to Annie if necessary and tell her her Mpls buddy says hi.  

As a physician (MD) and long time Type 1, I'd recommend that you have to get him in for a psychiatric evaluation, hopefully with a psych. with experience with Type 1's. This sounds to me like serious depression! This may require hospitalization, for a number of reasons, and your description sounds like he would qualify.
Additionally, you may have to work to separate yourself from his problems...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service