Help! I saw my endo last night, and she says that she'd endorse me getting a pump. I was just diagnosed on 12/11/11, so this is all new new new to me, BUT I'm super duper excited to get this ball rolling.

How do I go about researching pumps? What do you guys love and recommend?

A bit about me, I'm super athletic and play roller derby. I'm currently looking at the Minimed paradigm and plan on wearing in my bra when I'm skating...I may also take it off for games. My partner is also diabetic, and has the minimed pump and loves it. I fear though, that I'm just going to choose this pump because it's what is familiar to me, and not because it's necessarily the best choice for me. Oh, and I think the Omnipod may be out due to the full contact sport I play, could be dangerous, and I may not be able to find a place where it would be safe and unobtrusive. Let me know if this is a misnomer.

Thanks for your help!
Janie G.

Views: 702

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd like themed alerts! I have "Rocky Road to Dublin", "Gimme Shelter", "Time" (Floyd), "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and "La Rejouissance", from the Royal Fireworks music (for MrsAcidRock...) on my phone...

Oh robd~

Your Ping report is shocking!
Sounds way more involved to operate than MM.
I get a real person immediately everytime I call MM.
I just reported cracks in my casing to MM and had received my replacement pump by 10am the next morning! MM then spent an hour w/me on the phone setting up my new one. I'm blown away by their excellent customer service!
I still say that becoming a pumper is not to be taken lightly. It's no easier than MDI, which is, as you know, a lot of work. The benefit is that the advantages over MDI are awesome and more than worth it!!!!!!

take a look at what the future of pumping holds:

http://www.pancreum.com/

http://www.tandemdiabetes.com/products/t-slim/

and some of the new gluco meters:

http://www.onetouch.ca/verioiqmeter

Hi Janie
When I first went onto my pump my endo suggested I read the book "Pumping Insulin" by Walsh and Roberts. It gave me an excellent understanding of MANY issues, and I've especially benefitted from the chapter on exercise.
Best wishes, Sally.

I have the Minimed and LOVE it! I'd like to add that most ins co want to see your glucose records showing that you test and record your bgs. They want to see if you are responsible and they also want to see if you have lows under 50. So, if you're not recording it I would suggest that you start. Minimed is great for taking care of the paper work that the insurance co needs. If, for some reason you are rejected, try again. I was rejected once because a simple code # was left out. We tried again and was accepted.

You guys are SO amazing!! Thanks so much for all the great advice. First impressions: I'm having a much easier time talking with the Animas people. They've been much more accessible and friendlier. I met with the MiniMed rep yesterday and she was great...I meet with the Animas rep today. I have not yet actually laid hands on the Ping, so I'm excited to see it and what it can do.

I'll keep y'all posted when I make the decision and go through the process of getting MY pump in my hot little hands. Thanks to all the people who have been so vocally supportive. You've been AMAZING!

Oh, and I had my first tournament as a T1D this last weekend. I played three games in two days, and had NO diabetes issues. Yay!

Janie,
YOU JANIE are the amazing one!!!!
You radiate pure positive energy!!!
Whatever pump you decide on, you will be a ROCK STAR!!!
Take is from a tribal elder, with your enthusiasm, you hold the Secret of Life in your "hot little hands"!
Congrats on that tournament success... and without a hypo!
With Respect,
Cindy

Thanks Cindy!!! I just ordered the animas onetouch ping. SO EXCITED! Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and support. It really takes a village, doesn't it?

Best ever,
JG

Hi Janie~
I'm sorry about your tooth... That hurts the mouth and the ego, doesn't it? (been there)
I'm a curious cat and I would love to know what deciding factors went into choosing your pump type.
And what color did you choose?
In my case I was surrounded by MM users in my support group. They, and my doc and trainer didn't even offer a choice. Not that I'm unhappy!
I didn't know about Tud in those days.
I am soooooooooooooo excited for you!
C

Hi Janie G,

I have a friend on the Carolina Roller Girls team who uses a minimed pump. She said she definitely takes it off for bouts because if she didn't, it would get smashed a million times over due to the aggressive/contact nature of the game. She simply checks her BG before the game, a few times during (when she's got penalty time, lol), and after the game, to make sure she isn't going low. I asked her if she'd considered the pod, and she said it wouldn't have been a good fit for derby.

I'm getting a ping for the waterproof feature, plus having the remote would be nice. I considered the pod for a long time, but it didn't look like I would be able to wear it more subtly, despite the tubeless feature. That and I pulled the dummy pods off like a million times a day :/

This chart was pretty helpful in comparing pumps:
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes-technology/insulin-pumps/curren...

Keep in mind that the Cosmo isn't available anymore, and I haven't seen the diabecare or the spirit talked about much anywhere...

Oh knittykat, I would LOVE to talk with your friend at some point about how she handles practices/bouts/and diabetes!

I ended up deciding on the Ping today...I might have it as early as next week, which is super exciting!! This is also coupled with having a tooth knocked out a few days ago at practice. When it rains, it pours.

Good luck with your new pump and let me know how it works out for you!

Best, J

Janie, not sure you could have gone wrong with either model! You are certainly learning the ropes quickly. In the meantime, you might like to know that dosing within 1/2 units with syringes is not that hard. I line up the plunger midway between the lines.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MasterLab through the eyes of the community

The Diabetes Hands Foundation would like to thank everyone for attending the diabetes advocates MasterLab on July 2nd 2014. MasterLab was about building a sense of what is possible and designed to give advocates a chance to learn from veteran Read on! →

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service