I will be starting my new Dexcom today. I have read through some of this forum, especially Michelle starting up, and I have also read through the Dexcom group. But I do have a few questions. For those who insert the sensor at night, do you wait until morning to put the transmitter on? Then do the initial calibration 2 hours later? And how do you make the sensor go beyond 7 days? Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags: Dexcom

Views: 2233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seems llike such a waste to bother with inseting early. I find acceptable results with starting immediately after inserting

What is the benefit from "plugging in early?" If you still need to wait two hours for an Initial calibration, what's the point?

When I change sensors, I remove the old one, plug in the new one, wait two hours, calibrate and away I go.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Alan

I usually put my new sensor on at night and what I do is I put it on two hours before I go to bed. So, If I go to bed at 11, I put the dex on at 9 or so. Also, I like to put it on at night because during the day, I find it more difficult to enter the two bgs. And, it stinks to have no readings during the day.
I know people who wear the sensor beyond 7 days by simply letting the sensor fail and then hitting, start sensor, as though is has been changed. I, however, do not do this. I am aware of how costly each sensor is but, when I originally tried to keep my sensor on longer than the 7 day period, my skin became irritated and the sensor did not adhere to my skin as well. Also, the sensor was painful and a bit irritating. I feel that it is better to change the sensor.
good luck, I am sure you will love the dex. It has changed my life for the better!
i love my dexcom but i would tell you this its works 75% percent of the time but dont throw away your one touch just quite yet

Amen to that. One really needs to hang onto the caveman fingerprick machine as a check against weird readings on the Dexcom as it is attempting to track interstitial tissue blood under rapid changes/or sleeping/weight on the tissues near the sensor.

More than once I had to grab the caveman machine and find the Dexcom unhelpful. Like the other person said readings were good 75% of the time.

Good advice from Korrie.
The first time I did this, almost two years ago, I accidently clicked, "Shutdown", instead of ,"Stop Sensor". Careful not to make this mistake.

Hi All,

I just got my dexcom today too and fully charged. Am eager to try it but a few quick questions though - it requires 2 BG for initial calibration, the 1st is 2 hours after initial setup but when do you input the 2nd one?

will it prompt you for the 2nd calibration?

Is it okay to wear it on my thighs? i'm 20 weeks pregnant and prefer not to wear the transmitter on my abdomen. any suggestion on alternative sites?

Thanks in advance..

Upper arms work for me, other use thigh's.

Abdomen useless for me with wrong misleading results.

Studying anatomy of abdomen make one wonder on choice of abdomen for accuracy!

I'm in the same position. I'll be getting mine in several weeks. I've never been "tethered" to anything but my pens so far.

Does Dexcom communicate with any brand pump? Do they make their own?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Helmsley Charitable Trust Renews Support for DHF

HELMSLEY CHARITABLE TRUST GRANTS SUPPORT TO DIABETES HANDS FOUNDATION FOR FOURTH YEAR  Funding in 2015 to support major transitions in programs and leadership at Diabetes Hands Foundation BERKELEY, CA: February 18, 2015 – The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Read on! →

Spare A Rose, Save A Child for Valentines Day

Here’s a new way to celebrate Valentines Day: Buy a dozen roses, spare the cost of one (about $5) and donate to IDF’s Life for a Child program. By doing this, you will help children in need of life saving insulin. Those of Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Melissa Lee
(Interim Executive Director, Editor, has type 1)

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, has LADA)

Emily Coles (Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Director of Operations and Development, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2015   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service