I will be starting my new Dexcom today. I have read through some of this forum, especially Michelle starting up, and I have also read through the Dexcom group. But I do have a few questions. For those who insert the sensor at night, do you wait until morning to put the transmitter on? Then do the initial calibration 2 hours later? And how do you make the sensor go beyond 7 days? Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags: Dexcom

Views: 2070

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I find it so much simpler to just use alcohol, then apply the sensor then cut the rectangular windor in a transparent dressing, Use a skin or IV prep under the dressing and change the transparent dressing it every week - Never had an infection But whatever works for each individual!!!
My comparison "you're working too hard" was with regard to:

(A) Your later patch-up, with a carefully-shaped piece of tape (rounded corners, with a "window" in the middle for the Transmitter-holding assembly); versus

(B) I Wipe Skin-Prep, run the hair dryer, start the Sensor, and then add 4 simple rectangles pieces of FlexiFix. This lasts longer than the life of the Sensor, and never curls up.

Longer reply above. My PVI/CHG "sterilize the site" was really a separate process, although I do recommend it. (I know it's a lot more hassle.)

Great discussion, thanks!
No need to round the corners, they come rounded with the dressing and I have almost 100 of them so I will use them up then switch to the 4 inch flexifixtape I think one piece is easier than 4 of the narrower - but to each his own
Rickst29....Whaaaaaaaat? LOL! This sounds so complicated!!! LOL, I'll take my time and read again.
Just got a roll of Opsite Flexifix that dick mentioned. It comes in a roll. I cut 4 strips for the edges -so far it's lasted a week. It's also a totally clear film like tegaderm, easy to handle because there is paper on both sides. I have really sensitive skin but so far so good. Expensive, but the roll is big and I think will last at least a year.
Did you name it yet? You really have to name it.
really have to?? Maybe that will help the wife and I keep them seperate - I do wish we could give them unique ring tones so when they buzz we dont wonder was that you or me?

No names yet here and same w pump oh well just an old fuddy duddy I guess
My insulin pump's name is Mr. Pumpy (I know, original). I haven't named my Dexcom yet, I'll need to get on that.
Our 'search' tool is hard to use, but I'll offer a few hints:

1. With regard to "plugging in early":
When you insert a Sensor and Transmitter, there is a plastic "plate" assembly underneath which will lie underneath the Transmitter. On the top, it has two metal contacts for the Transmitter to measure the "raw" reading from the Sensor. (It measures current through a fixed resistance internal to the Transmitter). Inside the Plate, it terminates the wire -- with one contact into the Reagent, and the second contact serving as "ground".

Unfortunately, this plate floats up in the air, at an angle, until you press it down in place with the Transmitter assembly. Old timers (like me) can plug in an old, dead Transmitter to protect the plate and keep the water-tight box sealed-- while still running the "active" Sensor and Transmitter on the other side of our bodies (left versus right).

People with only one Transmitter can't do this; they must either come up with some kind of cover for the area, one which DOES NOT! damage the "plate assembly" in any way, and one which DOES fully cover the area.

I would look for a plastic container lid. The round lid on a 50-count pakcage of glucose tabs is wide enough to cover the whole area, but it will press down on the "plate assembly." When you move, any motion by that assembly (versus your underlying skin) is DEADLY for Sensor accuracy and lifespan. So, IMO, you're looking for something slightly taller. But I don't have any experience in choosing one, because I've got several "old" Transmitters which I can use instead.

I usually do an overnight "pre-warmup", but keep I my current Sensor running through the night. For me, it's to risky to be without for that much time. (YMMV, of course.) If you end up like me, unwilling/unable to "fly blind" through the night, then you should finding a nice, tall, "cover" which can assure that both the Transmitter-holding assembly AND the "contact plate" won't be disturbed by motion, or open to infection agents, during your "warmup" period.

2. After waiting, do you still have the whole "Initial Calibration" thing 2 hours later?
Yes. Even if the Sensor has already been running for a week, and is ready for continued use IMMEDIATELY, you can't avoid the two-hour wait.

3. How to use past 7 days?
At a convenient time (at least two hours away from driving; at least two hours away from going to sleep) execute "Stop Sensor". Do NOT remove the Transmitter! Immediately execute "Start Sensor", and verify that display shows the two-hour countdown graph at the spot which normally shows the estimated bG value.
Seems llike such a waste to bother with inseting early. I find acceptable results with starting immediately after inserting

What is the benefit from "plugging in early?" If you still need to wait two hours for an Initial calibration, what's the point?

When I change sensors, I remove the old one, plug in the new one, wait two hours, calibrate and away I go.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Alan

I usually put my new sensor on at night and what I do is I put it on two hours before I go to bed. So, If I go to bed at 11, I put the dex on at 9 or so. Also, I like to put it on at night because during the day, I find it more difficult to enter the two bgs. And, it stinks to have no readings during the day.
I know people who wear the sensor beyond 7 days by simply letting the sensor fail and then hitting, start sensor, as though is has been changed. I, however, do not do this. I am aware of how costly each sensor is but, when I originally tried to keep my sensor on longer than the 7 day period, my skin became irritated and the sensor did not adhere to my skin as well. Also, the sensor was painful and a bit irritating. I feel that it is better to change the sensor.
good luck, I am sure you will love the dex. It has changed my life for the better!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service