Hello, everybody. I'm brand new here but I've had DM for about 5 or so years and neuropathy for as long as I've been diagnosed. In fact it was the burning and numbness that brought me into the doctor's office and we went from there to a diagnosis of DM Type 2.
My main concern right now is that my neuropathy is increasing in severity. I'm not on any medications for it just my regular diabetes meds (metformin and glipizide) and some others for other conditions.
This week I went to see a podiatrist for the first time. He does nerve decompression surgery for diabetic neuropathy/compressive neuropathy. He's all gung-ho to do the surgery on me. I'm rather anti-gung ho. Are there others in this community who have had the surgery done? I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
I'm also going to speak to my physician about changing anti-depressant medication to Cymbalta. How does that work for folks who've taken it?
I know everybody has individual responses to different therapies. I'm just kind of feeling like I'm entering a giant forrest without a guide.
Thank you!

P.S. I rode in the Twin Cities Tour de Cure last Saturday for the first time. It was GREAT!

I cross posted this at the Neuropathy Group site.

Tags: Cymbalta, neuropathy, surgery

Views: 357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I will give you some perspective on my situation. My problem is not in my feet, but in my hands. I have suffered from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) for more than 15 years. I have had ulnar nerve and shoulder nerve compressions. And make no mistake, high blood sugars inflame the nerves, they expand and make the compression problems even worse. And compression is above and beyond typical diabetic neuropathy. I have spent a lot of effort with physical therapy and tight blood sugar control. Initially, I was able to manage the CTS with therapy and I have been able to pretty much get my other problems under control. But I have spent a lot of effort with building flexibility and strength, far beyond anything you would get going to a physical therapist. And in the end, even those efforts proved to not be sufficient for the CTS.

In the end, by the time I finally admitted defeat and saw the neurologist, I had lost pretty much all the feeling in two fingers in my right hand. I had release surgery on my right hand last August. I got immediate relief from most of the symptoms, but I appear to have suffered more lasting damage on my index finger. Long-term compression can cause scarring.

Bernstein and others beleive that you can heal from neuropathy with tight blood sugar control, but it takes a long time. I supplement, as suggested here and I still hold out hope that I will heal. But I also accept that I may never fully recover.

So keep your blood sugar tightly controlled. That is number one. And supplements and physical therapy may help. But in the end, be open to surgery. It may offer you the only hope for relief and remember, if you delay for far too long like I did, you may suffer some more permanent damage.
Thanks, bsc! After finding this wonderful community I've felt so much more hopeful and I'm facing the fact that I've been totally in denial about my blood sugar control. I'm going to give it the old college try (again) and with better support in place see if I can be consistent with tighter control. If I can't do it with ALA, diet and taking my meds as prescribed, I'm preparing to be open to whatever helps, be it insulin or, as a last resort, surgery.
i seem to have symptoms of neuropathy- ive heard from more than one person not to "wait" to treat it. if i keep tight BGs and take the supplements for example, how would it benefit me to treat it sooner than later?? (other than pain relief) sorry for my ignorance!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service