Hello friends,

I am 39 years of age and got diagnosed with type 2 in 2007, now recently my blood sugar has been going up since june 2011, so i decided to ask my family doctor to see an Endocrinologist. I also noticed that i was losing weight. I was 200lbs right before getting diabetes, now i am 162 lbs and 5'11.

When i saw the endo, she said that i might have lada 1.5 because i am very thin and i am taking more insulin, bolus:18 units and basal:18 units
She also removed metformin, glyburide and crestor out of my prescription and kept Fluvoxamine for mild anxiety and Synthroid for my hypothyroidism which began in 2004.
My HA1C% is 11

My Blood sugar spikes a lot faster now, right after a meal and i get blurry vision and dizziness at times. The worst feeling i got so far was last saturday when i went to a dinner with friends and i had 2 pints of beer before my meal. I don't know if my sugar was high or low but i felt very dizzy and i had trouble maintaining the conversation, was like a feeling of confusion and then started to feel tremors in my chest.

Since i did not have my glucometer with me, i had a few slices of bread to see if that helped, but not much. i called 911 and told them the situation and an ambulance arrived shortly to measure my vital signs and blood sugar.
i was at 11.7 mmol/L

I have to go for a c peptide test in june and blood tests to see if this new insulin and diet will work or not.
so far i have not been able to bring it down below 10 mmol/L
I am worried.
Am i damaging my kidneys and other organs?

I also am trying to go back to school to learn web programming and on monday i had to leave the class because i was feeling weird, almost like a panick attack, was right after lunch, felt like my sugar was high and my face was very warm. I also felt dizzy from reading the text on my screen. Should i just forget about programming, is it a too stressful job for someone with diabetes? I been hearing about jobs that cause stress and can make your sugar go up a lot too.

As you can see, i have a lot of questions and little answers,I feel like i have no luck in life and this disease was the cherry on top of the sunday.

Links Added by the TuDiabetes Administration

LADA Group

Stories of Misdiagnosis

Top !0 Tips for the Newly Diagnosed

Medical Misdiagnosis of Insulin Deficient Diabetes

Positive Autoantibodies Indicate Type 1 Diabetes

Manny's Video on LADA

Tags: adult-onset, lada, misdiagnosis, type1., type1.5

Views: 3320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The delay in the C-peptide test is really no reason to stress either. It will either show you are producing insulin, or not. Either way, learning how to eat to control DB is essential for your long term benefit. If the C-peptide does show you are still making insulin, then all the more reason to focus on preserving your remaining beta cells. High BS is toxic to beta cells, so keeping it controlled is good for your beta cell preservation. If it shows you are no longer producing insulin, then BS control is still very important. And never lose sight of the fact that insulin is a great gift, for without it we type 1's would all be doomed.

How many grams of carbs or sugar do we need to counter a hypo?

i got a 4.0 or 72mg/dl 2 hours and a half after lunch. i took 10u of novorapid, maybe was too much.

i took a glucose tablet of 4g of carbs and a small piece of chocolat (1 square)

Did you count the carbs for the lunch and bolus according to your I:C ratio? DW, you are posting almost every day that you are too high or too low, yet you seem to continue using set doses. Do get yourself a list of carb contents, read labels, and figure out your I:C ratio. It's not good for your body to continue going high and dropping low.

72 is not considered a hypo. Some of us treat under 70 and some treat under 60. You really don't need to treat a 72.

It's better to stick with glucose tabs. Chocolate has fat in it which slows it's action. Glucose tabs are the most rapid fix for a hypo and they come in measured doses. We are all different in how much it takes to raise our blood sugar. I use 2 glucose tabs (8 grams) if I am in the 50s, and 3 (12 grams) if I'm lower.

Have you been keeping good records of what you eat and the insulin you use? The only way to determine your I:C ratios, Correction factor and hypo treatment amount are by keeping records and seeing what works.

I know you want there to be, but there are no rules for how much insulin we need for bolus and basal and for corrections, or how many carbs to treat a hypo. The only rule is what works for you. And the only way to find this out is trial and error and keeping good records. Otherwise you will continue to be frustrated.

thanks, i will experiment more. i measured an hour later and i am 7.9

yes i write down in a book every time i measure my BG.
I am eating healthier foods, avoiding high carbs.

i think my ratio is 1:5

yes it's harder for me because i feel like my pancreas has shutdown.

i am slowly understanding carbs and insulin ratios.

I think for my situation a CGM will really help me understand what makes my BG go up or down and not try to guess all the time what will be my next reading.

thanks SM

I'd say that 72 may be a hypo, particularly if you took too much insulin? The "prescribed" process is not to "take chances" and carefully measure everything and end up close. I spent *years* just guessing and probably missed as often as I hit the target. If you are at 72, it's very important to consider "how much food did I have?" vs. "how much insulin" and the timing of everything before just saying "72 is not a hypo" because, by the time you think about that, it could turn into a hypo? Unless you can get your BG to behave very consistently, it rarely "is" a number, it's a number AND a direction? No direction is the direction we're looking for but sometimes it can be hard to find!

Hello Diabetic Warrior,

I like your name! You are a newly diagnosed diabetic and already you know that you are a warrior. Do you have a power song? My friend taught me a power song, she would sing it to my pancreas, my islet cells, my kidneys, my heart. I am singing a power song for you, for me, for all of us who suffer diabetes. I know the roller coaster ride, the highs the lows, the ups the downs, the frustration. Diabetes sucks, it just sucks! I made it a friend, I called it an enemy, I pretended I didn't have it, I tried to hide from it. I have lived with diabetes type 1 for 29 years. How often do you see your Endo, do you also see a diabetic educator, or a dietician? How come your doctor did not send you to Diabetes School 101 to learn carb counting and ratios? Has your doctor spoke with you about an insulin pump? I also have a CGM, it is a pain in the ... I liked it at first, excited about a new gadget, but the dang thing always got plugged up with blood, was never accurate, I tested my bg way more with it. If you try it, I hope you have better luck. For me, I learned there is way more to counting carbs and learning ratios. Food is medicine. Maybe you are lucky and have some insulin production and that is why your bg is swinging so much. Maybe you can learn some dietary medicine to help you. I can suggest some good books if you like. Alcohol has thermal heat, it will really mess up your bg, for me, the first beer lowers bg, the second counts as 15carbs,so if I do have beer, which is rare, I have two and no insulin, and I am sure to have a meal with it. I like to have a small glass of red wine every night, I do it every night, consistently, I take no insulin for it. Yet, if I don't have this, I notice that my bg is a bit higher in the am, or I will have a low at 3 am. Everybody is different and responds different, so like the others said, test test test, and record, and pay attention to your body. Bagels are killer for me, I avoid them, and bread for the most part. I eat lots of veggies, and brown rice, and hard boiled eggs. Have some kale and brown rice, seriously, eat only that for 2 days, and tell me if it helps balance your bg. Kale is good to calm the heart, helps with anxiety. Read, "You Are All Sanpaku" and tell me what you think. A very good book, for a Warrior. Spinach and eggs are delicious. I also love squash, all kinds, they say high in carb, but very nourishing, gives lots of energy, and I have better bg balance. Brown rice also high in carb, same thing tho, gives me energy, makes me feel good, I take insulin for it and use a dual wave on my pump. It calms my heart, helps my memory, focus and concentration. I avoid cheeze, milk, yogurt, ice cream and all dairy, it messes up my bg, makes me feel yucky, nauseous and dizzy. I just graduated from a 4 year master program in Chinese Medicine, school is not easy when bg is crazy up and down. I passed out my second trimester of grad school, was rushed to hospital, my bg was over 800. I had an exam that day, and was so nervous, I stayed up all night studying, and skipped breakfast, so I took no insulin... lack of sleep, lack of nutrition... raises my bg. To get through school, I had to learn to eat, rest, stick to a schedule, and stay calm. I am new to this forum, and this is the first post I read, and already I am just so touched by this group,the kindness and encouragement. Thank you all. I like the last post acidrock23, No direction. Find Balance. Bg will go up, Bg will go down, not too high, not too low. Let your body find balance, let your mind rest. I am singing a song for you my Warrior friend. Warriors don't guess, they are precise and calculative. Sometimes use controlled folly. Sometimes the more exact we are, the more frustrating it gets. Timing is very important, we have to predict, calculate, and the direction we have to look is In. Bg of 70 feels low to me too. Anything over 180 feels too high. I like to range 120-140. This morning at 9am, I was 300, I had skipped breakfast,,, why do I do that? And why does my bg go high if I skip a meal? Maybe my basal rate is off, I play with this. It is not my basal, my diabetic educator does not believe me. Yet, I know... it is backwards, my bg goes high if I do not eat regular nutritious food. Thank you for letting me share, I look forward to more discussion.

The doc hasn't "confirmed" DW's dx w/ "testing" yet so he's in limbo. It's back in the thread somewhere.

Yeah, that's nuts... tx without dx!

yeah, i have an appointment thursday,i will ask my endo a list of questions because i am in the dark about so many things.

this morning i was high again and also before lunch.

i seem to have problems always in the morning and lunch time.

i was doing better when i was on metformin and insulin combined.
I also noticed my blood looks thicker when i squeeze a drop.
Crestor was helping me too.

Thank you Turtle Dove, that was a great post.

Yes Diabetes is a pain in the ass, but i will not let it ruin my life. I have many years to live and so does everyone in here. A cure will be there soon, we must stay strong until the cure is discovered.

As a warrior, i am also not a quitter and as much as this seems complicated and time consuming to me, i know with time i will handle it well.

Yes it is a big challenge because it is like having a 2nd job.
So working or studying while having this takes a lot of energy.
I think it is harder for those who got the disease later in life because we have to change all our old habits that we been following for years.

Do not skip breakfast TD, always eat in the morning, it is the most important meal of the day, it gets your engine started.
I know sometimes i feel like skipping an injection because my BG is medium to low. But i know that after i eat i will need insulin or else i will spike again.

But when you think of it, its just a few minutes of your time to inject and then continue on your daily routine.

For me checking my BG constantly was more of a pain. That's why i want a CGM, so i don't have to check constantly where i am at and feel anxiety from not knowing if i am high or low.

Thank you for posting, keep doing it, we all need to talk about it. :)

Courage!

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, Courage to change the things I can, And Wisdom to know the difference

The Serenity Prayer is a great one for Diabetes!

Actually, you do have to check your blood sugar with a CGM, as they are not accurate. Some people say they even test more often.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service