Hello friends,

I am 39 years of age and got diagnosed with type 2 in 2007, now recently my blood sugar has been going up since june 2011, so i decided to ask my family doctor to see an Endocrinologist. I also noticed that i was losing weight. I was 200lbs right before getting diabetes, now i am 162 lbs and 5'11.

When i saw the endo, she said that i might have lada 1.5 because i am very thin and i am taking more insulin, bolus:18 units and basal:18 units
She also removed metformin, glyburide and crestor out of my prescription and kept Fluvoxamine for mild anxiety and Synthroid for my hypothyroidism which began in 2004.
My HA1C% is 11

My Blood sugar spikes a lot faster now, right after a meal and i get blurry vision and dizziness at times. The worst feeling i got so far was last saturday when i went to a dinner with friends and i had 2 pints of beer before my meal. I don't know if my sugar was high or low but i felt very dizzy and i had trouble maintaining the conversation, was like a feeling of confusion and then started to feel tremors in my chest.

Since i did not have my glucometer with me, i had a few slices of bread to see if that helped, but not much. i called 911 and told them the situation and an ambulance arrived shortly to measure my vital signs and blood sugar.
i was at 11.7 mmol/L

I have to go for a c peptide test in june and blood tests to see if this new insulin and diet will work or not.
so far i have not been able to bring it down below 10 mmol/L
I am worried.
Am i damaging my kidneys and other organs?

I also am trying to go back to school to learn web programming and on monday i had to leave the class because i was feeling weird, almost like a panick attack, was right after lunch, felt like my sugar was high and my face was very warm. I also felt dizzy from reading the text on my screen. Should i just forget about programming, is it a too stressful job for someone with diabetes? I been hearing about jobs that cause stress and can make your sugar go up a lot too.

As you can see, i have a lot of questions and little answers,I feel like i have no luck in life and this disease was the cherry on top of the sunday.

Links Added by the TuDiabetes Administration

LADA Group

Stories of Misdiagnosis

Top !0 Tips for the Newly Diagnosed

Medical Misdiagnosis of Insulin Deficient Diabetes

Positive Autoantibodies Indicate Type 1 Diabetes

Manny's Video on LADA

Tags: adult-onset, lada, misdiagnosis, type1., type1.5

Views: 3411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just listened to a few hours of utube talks and interviews with Dr. Bernstein. I like this guy. Wow, I did not know about him. He has made a tremendous contribution to diabetics! He is attributed for the acknowledgement that tight bg control prevents complications!?! That seems so obvious, I would never think that would need evidence or proof. It's also why I thought A1C was waste of time, because it could be relatively okay, yet not show that the individual was having a lot of highs and lows, the average was good.

Dr. B said you could chew up some starchy carb, mix it with saliva, get it liquidy and put it on a ketostix, he said (I think it was potatoes) this would turn black. I gave it a try with brown rice, the ketostix showed negative. Cool. I want to try with potatoes and white rice to see what happens. I tried this years ago with regular coke to see what would happen, and it showed negative also, so I'm not sure, maybe my strips were expired at that time. This was a new package of strips today with the brown rice.

I don't think Dr. B recommends rice. What does he say to brown rice? He did say in interview, squash is suggested food, although fairly high in carb. Squash, and sweet potatoes, are Qi Tonics in TCM. Study and mental activity drain spleen qi. When I started eating more squash I found I had much more energy, strength and stamina. I was able to study in school and focus much better. I started brown rice diet, thanks to a friend who turned me on to macrobiotics in the book, "You Are All Sanpaku", by George Ohsawa, based on Japanese concepts of yin/yang theory.

Somewhere I have the Raw for 30 days full length documentary. I will find and post. The trailer offers it at a fee, and all those other 'bonus' offers, ha.

Thank you for suggestion - Dr. Richard Bernstein, I will check it out.

My Method:) Jing Song

I eat lots of brown rice, and rice noodles. I stir fry, bake, or stem veggies. I eat fish twice a week, chicken twice a week, and steak once a month. I drink green tea, kombucha, coconut water, 1 cup of coffee a day, and 1 glass of red organic wine at night. I get acupuncture 1-2 times a week, and a massage, tuina, qigong, shiatsu, or cranial sacral 1-2 times a week. I walk a mile a day. I smoke 3-5 organic cigs a day, I take several Chinese herbal formulas. I take regular naps. I do about 1 hour of yoga, taichi, qigong a day. I am always in meditation. I test my blood sugar 2-4 times a day. I change my pump cartridge once every 3 days. I see my Endo and get lab work once every three months. I have my legs, my eyes, and my kidneys. I very rarely get sick. I have type 1 insulin dependent juvenile onset diabetes mellitus. In the last 5 years, I have gone from an A1C of 13 to 6. I have gone from 70 units of insulin a day to 20 units of insulin a day. I have, in my lifetime, gone from measuring a bg range on a stick that matches colors on a bottle, to a meter that took 5 minutes to calculate bg. I went from 10 shots a day to an insulin pump. I have watched many of my diabetic friends and loved ones, lose limbs, go blind, go on dialysis, and die. I have cut my hair and regrown it many times. I have a heart of a turtle, I will live long, and live happy on earth. I will hold my children, grandchildren, great-grand children, and great-great grand children and sing them a jing song... then, they will bury me, and from there a Rose will grow.

Turtle Dove, thank you for sharing your regimen and your history in such a succinct manner. Congratulation on getting your A1C from 13 to 6. That requires tremendous discipline, focus, and awareness of what a high A1C means long term, which isn't pretty. Some find Dr. Bernstein a bit radical, but his methods work.

Warrior, learn what a C-peptide test is and get one. This will tell you if you are producing insulin. If you are producing adequate levels of insulin, you are not a type 1. Period. Type 1's either do not produce insulin or produce an insufficient amount to properly utilize glucose. High ketones mean your body is using fat for energy because it is unable to use glucose due most likely to low or nonexistent insulin.

Type 1.5 is a designation for individuals who develop insulin dependence in adulthood versus childhood. This is due to the presence of antibodies which attack the beta cells of the pancreas, and typically occurs after the age of 40.

High ketones are a strong indicator that your body is not producing enough insulin to process glucose and is instead processing fat for energy. This is a potentially dangerous situation which can result in ketoacidosis. I strongly suggest you research this subject. I recommend Jenny Ruhl's excellent site http:/www.bloodsugar101.comm/

Thank you Cincy Bob for the compliment. You are very clear and precise, easy to follow and obviously well educated. I am a emotional romantic poet, often marching around to the heart beat of my own drum.

DW, I know it's been suggested already and said many times, Have you had a C-peptide test? Or been tested for presence of auto-antibodies?

Cincy Bob, can you say why it is said that an individual diagnosed with LADA, type 1.5 has no need for insulin for the first 6 months up to one year? Why and how does earlier tx of insulin for this patient, keep the beta cells functioning longer? How would insulin therapy help this patient avoid total dependence on insulin? Why would oral agents cause the patient to lose function, go to insulin dependent state quicker, such as 'misdiagnosed' type 2 patients... taking ineffective oral meds and losing insulin producing beta cells faster? I got this info from Diabetes Forcast.

DW, at the time of your initial onset/diagnosis, what was your body type/size/weight? Prior to initial diagnosis what was it? Forgive me if too personal of question. I am looking to see your constitution. Also, I want to better understand progression - it aids in prevention, assists diagnosis and benefits treatment.

I think that type 1.5 is yin within yang, or yang within yin, a sort of transformational aspect in between yin and yang, in between type 1 and type 2. I feel this in a very abstract way.

DW, did you have any sort of viral infection post tx of T2? Anything with high fever, sore throat, skin eruption, or blisters?

Thank you!

... that was no insulin for first 6 months up to 6 years...

I also think a true type 1, could develop type 2 through progression in the course of the disease. It would not be noticed or even considered for diagnosis because they already have a diagnosis of T1, and that diagnosis is going to stick and would not change. I ponder mis-diagnosis, re-diagnosis, and question lab diagnostics.

I have a friend - Male age 38. T1 onset age 3. Blind in one eye age 13. Kidney failure two years ago. Dialysis and then Kidney transplant last year. Also pancreas transplant. No More type 1 diabetes! He has 5 insulin pumps, a cgm, blood testers and meters, and a bunch of other sweet stuff on a display case for show and tell. He got a new eye too! He used to be thin, now he is quite fat, he enjoys McRibs and french fries, diet-coke, all day everyday. Prognosis - Type 2 by age 40! So ironic!

Also, with the stem cell islet cell transplants... why does the body re-attack the islet cells and develop type 1 again in 5-10 years? I read they are improving this, lengthen the time frame, ect. But most end up back on insulin, at least a low dose eventually. And if not autologous stem cell transplant, yet a donor - patients have to take anti-rejection meds the rest of their life. Alas, I am thankful I was not selected for this last clinic trial before the piggy goes to market.

Hi TD,

yes i will have a c-peptide and antibody test in june.

Prior to getting diagnosed, i was 200 lbs and was pretty muscular and fit, i was going to the gym 3 to 4 times a week.

If i recall correctly, i did get a few strange episodes at night where i had fever and sweating a lot, felt like a common cold accompanied by nausea and fever.

I also got a food poisoning a year before diagnosis.
I recall getting blisters on my fingers, like bumps filled with transparent liquid and when i burst them the skin would dry up and flake for weeks. I still get those when my sugar is high for an extended period.

But i think it all started with my thyroid, it started to go hypo in 2005, so about 2 years before diabetes diagnosis.

I remember checking my BG for the first time in 2004 after a meal because my ex's father at the time was diabetic and we were testing for fun and i was at 8 mmol (144mg/dl).

So i did not have diabetes yet. I think it started in 2006 but only discovered it a year later. I was 34 years of age.

But i was already an anxiety sufferer since 2000. I was put on Fluvoxamine (Luvox) in 2000 and slowly decreased the dosage as i got better and less anxious.
I continued taking it and still take it today, i take about 25 to 50 mg a day, it helps me a lot and removes panick attacks and heart palpitations. Could it be a long term use of Luvox that triggered diabetes?
I have read on some sites that anti depressants can trigger diabetes. Doctors tell me no, it's not possible.
If it is possible in my case, do i have a lawsuit possibility? i feel like my life is ruined.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022027.html

These commonly prescribed drugs have the chemical characteristic that may cause diabetes:

* Antibiotics: penicillins, cephalosporins, erythomycin

* Tranquilizers: barbiturates, benzodiazepines (such as Valium)

* Others: syntocinon (labor inducer), ergometrine (stops postpartum bleeding), acetaminophen (Tylenol

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022027.html#ixzz1sUqaBgyt

DW,
This is just one site that mentions drugs that can induce diabetes. I am sure there are many websites giving awareness to this possibility and caution.

I know someone who onset with diabetes due to a pharmaceutical prescription. I will see if I can find out what the drug was. She filed a lawsuit and she won. She still has diabetes and takes insulin injections.

Many pharmaceutical drugs are prescribed if the benefits outweigh the risks, people aren't always informed what possible side effects are involved.

Fluvoxamine (Luvox) is an SSRI, I have not heard of this inducing diabetes. I can ask my pharmaceutical prof, who is also a pharmacist, and a TCM practitioner what he knows about this. Also, wondering about 'serotonin syndrome'.

I am not a fan of pharmaceutical drugs. Often side effects are the same symptoms the drug is supposed to treat. Sometimes they can be beneficial, often over prescribed though, and in many cases more are prescribed to counteract side effects.

Check into acupuncture,,, it has a very high success rate for treating anxiety, heart palpitations, nervousness, insomnia, and depression. Acupuncture for these conditions, can help balance blood sugar levels - a very wonderful side effect. Harmony of yin and yang is the basis of curing diseases and conserving health.

Look for the book, "Non-pharmacotherapies for Diabetes", by Editor-in-Chief Cheng Yichun, Translators Zhang Yuxi and Lu Yubin (my teacher :)))

Much Love
Turtle Dove

Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes are completely different conditions!!! All this 'typing' these days,,, this is why I am interested in this type 1.5. Also, kids with type 2. No two diabetics have the same 'type' of diabetes!

Hi TurtleDove, I was on metformin and glyburide for 4 years and started insulin in june 2011, but only a month ago saw my first Endo and she decided i "might be" Lada 1.5 so she removed all the pills and said insulin only. They explained the best way they could how to use insulin but they did not explain accurately how to correctly calculate insulin carbs ratios. Since i was already on insulin, i decided to buy a book "think like a pancreas" in january 2012.

I also knew my BG was getting higher so i wanted to educate myself more and investigate why i was getting higher. Was it a bad diet or improper dosage or not enough physical activity? maybe...

But right now honestly, i feel worse, i have more anxiety than before and i am very irritable and i am having trouble concentrating.
I feel like my system is not liking this new no pills and insulin only treatment. When i was on metformin and insulin my blood sugar did not spike as much after meals.

I managed to reduce the lows by injecting less insulin before lunch.
i think the leftover insulin from the morning was still in my system when taking my lunchtime bolus and i was getting hypos for 5 days in a row.

But still i find it very difficult to be on target between 5 and 8 mmol.
I have to stabilize this as soon as possible because i want a normal life again. i always have this fear i might faint or go unconscious and it's creating more anxiety and avoiding going out. I don't want to be stuck at home like a hermit. I hate the Lows because i feel like crap for 15 to 20 minutes. I wish i could have a CGM so i know all the time where i am at and will reduce the anxiety of wondering all the time. I also feel worse when it gets warmer, like now it's spring and soon summer and i will feel more and more tired, i feel like i need energy, i am always tired and i have no endurance and my brain is foggy, i am not as sharp.
I need help.

Alrighty then,,, you are not a newb. However, they did NOT explain the best way they could - how to use insulin. Forgive me, I have not read, Think Like A Pancreas. Forgive me some more, I will probably never read it. A Pancreas does not Think,,, it functions. And maybe yours still does,,, don't think about it.

There is no 'normal' life. There is your life. You are the master of your life, of your heart, of your mind, of your spirit.

I am sorry, I don't get 5 and 8 mmol. I get bg. Can you teach me this terminology? Give me a translation? A Bg of 120 is what mmol?

I am jealous of you, I wish I was type 2, or type 1.5. It doesn't matter. I want to diagnose you according to TCM, Traditional Chinese Medicine.

You are tired, insomnia, heart palpitations, anxiety, foggy brain, tunnel vision? depression? hungry, thirsty, no appetite, no thirst? bg up and down? dislike warm weather? feel hot sensations? any sweating, at night or in the day? how is your bowel movements?

I want to see your tongue and feel your pulse.

to convert mmol to mg/dl, you multiply by 18, or 120= 6.667

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service