As I read this story, I was wondering what do insulin pump users on TuDiabetes think about this episode and what has been their personal experience traveling with their pump since the newly instated TSA screening procedures:

As we hear from more outraged air travelers about the humiliating procedures they're being forced to endure to pass through airport security checkpoints, comes this doozy out of Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood International Airport.

A woman called the South Florida's First News Show on radio station 610am WIOD, this morning (Wed. 11-17-10), horrified about what her daughter had been put through.The call was with the woman, named Jackie, speaking with 610am WIOD host Jimmy Cefalo & Manny Munoz.

"She is an insuline depended diabetic who has an isuline pump. She travels regularly in the airport. Today, about 25 minutes ago, she was..the alarm went off she told them she had an insuline pump, they physically groped her, went down her pants, her thighs, and advised her not to wear the insuline pump any more going through security. They advised her to take it off in the future if she didn't want to be groped. She was so upset she called me after she got through security hysterically crying"

More:

Tags: TSA, screening

Views: 685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually like the "air puffer" machines. I've only gone through a handful but that is a better alternative to the current treatment. I would happily go through a regular x-ray then a puffer machine and be on my way.

For those that do not know the air puffer machines blow or "puff" air at a person standing in them then suck it back up and run the particles through explosive detecting technology. Not invasive unless you don't like air being blown at you.
I meant dead by blown up!
I realize what you meant but I don't think the current humiliating treatment is any more effective. I was offering an alternative that would be more likely to catch potential threat AND lessen the problems with the regular joe traveler
I agree! We should listen to the El Al people they say they can get people thru in a couple of minutes and don't touch anyone. But then they are not politically correct and do profile!
I agree, they're working harder not smarter. If they are worried about someone putting explosives in a pump, then the swabbing for explosives is sufficient and much more likely to 'find something' than a pat-down. It doesn't even make sense to me why, if the pump doesn't set off an alarm, that they would even consider it necessary to do this for the sole reason that someone is wearing a pump.
I guess I was lucky last May traveling, but I showed them my MM pump prior to walking through and they waved me through and when it didn't set the alarm off, there was no issue. I left from JFK and came back trhough Orlando (who had just seen the Friends for Life conference). I am flying again in three weeks, going from our regional airport. It is what it is. If I get patted down, so be it. IMO it is just not us as pumpers or diabetics, but also I am sure people with prosthetics, braces, and what have you are also singled for heightened security. I will not remove my pump and put it through the x-ray machine - as is suggested by the manufacturer of my pump. If we don't air travel IMO we let the terrorists win.
Sorry, I posted the same link and don't know how to delete it!
Either way, nowhere is there mention of leaving the pump at home, and to think otherwise is misinterpreting. The TSA agent is suggesting she send the pump through the x-ray machine instead of wearing it through the metal detector, and the stupid radio station is being completely inflammatory by posting that ridiculous headline. I can't see how or where to tell them their headline is completely misinformed either.

Not directed at you, Kelly, but O. M. G., can people stop flipping out over this story, which is really a total non-story?
I agree the headline is incorrect, but the new policies are still out of line. And most brands of pumps say specifically NOT to put them through the x-ray machine. Mine is out of warranty now, so I don't need to worry about voiding the warranty by doing so, and I did send mine though last time I flew. But now, the policy does not say "if your pump sets off the alarm you will be secondarily patted down." It says anyone with an insulin pump will go through the enhanced pat down. Since every TSA agent interprets the longstanding rules about pumps differently, that leaves the new one wide open too. A friend flew this week with her pump in her carry on and she had to remove it for inspection and then got the enhanced pat down. That TSA agent took the new rule literally and I think it is a stupid rule that will not keep us any safer. Not flipping out, just had it with them and will only fly in case of an emergency.
Do you have a link to where it says anyone with an insulin pump will go through an enhanced pat down? I had looked at the TSA website, and I didn't see that.
It was a verbal communication originally posted by Manny here:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/new-tsa-security-procedures

Right now, that's all we have to go on, which I think is a huge part of the anxiety thats grabbing hold of diabetics and non-diabetics alike. If TSA would update it's pages and communicate better, then I bet the stories hitting the media and these overheated congressional hearings would not be boiling over the way that they are. Holiday travel will be interesting this year, that's for sure!
I've been pulled aside, swabbed, patted, wanded and starred at many times.
I'd had enough, spoke to a friend with a Ping, who flies often, and just disconnected.

I always put my supplies in a clear bag through the machine. The last two times I disconnected my pump and placed it with my supplies, a TSA agent asked why. When I explained he said, "Just hide it. If you wear it on your side, the alarm will go off, try to wear it in the front or back." I take serious issue with a TSA agent telling me to hide it, not because I need the world to know I have T1, just the principle of someone in that position telling me to hide something. I don't know, it rubbed me the wrong way. Either way, I just disconnect now, with no issues.

Not once was any TSA agent "mean" to me in any way, I've gotten scrutiny for juice boxes, which just makes me laugh because I told them what the TSA website states.... individual airports do Not always enforce the rules. It sucks but it's life.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service