As I read this story, I was wondering what do insulin pump users on TuDiabetes think about this episode and what has been their personal experience traveling with their pump since the newly instated TSA screening procedures:

As we hear from more outraged air travelers about the humiliating procedures they're being forced to endure to pass through airport security checkpoints, comes this doozy out of Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood International Airport.

A woman called the South Florida's First News Show on radio station 610am WIOD, this morning (Wed. 11-17-10), horrified about what her daughter had been put through.The call was with the woman, named Jackie, speaking with 610am WIOD host Jimmy Cefalo & Manny Munoz.

"She is an insuline depended diabetic who has an isuline pump. She travels regularly in the airport. Today, about 25 minutes ago, she was..the alarm went off she told them she had an insuline pump, they physically groped her, went down her pants, her thighs, and advised her not to wear the insuline pump any more going through security. They advised her to take it off in the future if she didn't want to be groped. She was so upset she called me after she got through security hysterically crying"

More:

Tags: TSA, screening

Views: 734

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Whether diabetics are singled out or not, I am not about to give any stranger free reign to touch me or look down my pants. That IS personal. And that is essentially what you have to be willing to do once you enter the security area. That might make some people feel safer, but not me.
They are trying to keep us safe. I honestly dont think TSA agents get their jollies looking down people's pants. Yes - it is personal - but so is being blown out of the sky. All it will take is one event to make it even worse.
"I honestly dont think TSA agents get their jollies looking down people's pants."

We just don't know that, do we? One has already been charged with statutory rape, from what I understand. And there are multiple sexual assault complaints against TSA agents. We don't know these people. But that's not really the point. It's a false sense of security. You are more likely to be struck by lightning that be killed by a terrorist. More rights have been violated than protected and more dangerous objects have been missed than found. How has this helped make anyone safer? If this is acceptable to make us feel safer, where will the line be drawn at violating our privacy and rights "for our own good"?
Well I agree with what you have posted. TSA has violated no ones rights, there are signs all over the terminal stating all people and belongings subject to search, when you purchase a ticket you are agreeing to allow yourself to be searched. This is not a fourth amendment issue since no one has to fly. Travel is an a right but not the means of travel. If you don't want to fly walk, drive, take a bus or a boat.
I consider it wrong that they have that requirement once you enter the security gate. The TSA interferes with the contract between the customer and the airline. And there have been plenty of instances where passengers were not well-informed before it was too late change their minds. Hopefully the option to walk, drive, take a bus or a boat will remain open without TSA screenings but they've already started in some bus stations and have mentioned trains as well.
Mike, Thomas Jefferson once made the statement "That those who trade their liberty for security deserve neither!
I agree with you Karla!
I have to say that I think all this concern about pumps is not warranted. I fly a lot. I used to walk through the metal detectors all the time. In fact a TSA guy in Chicago told me to put the pump in the waistband of my slcks above the zipper before walking through--it would not beep at all. He was right. I also never had any effects on the functioning of the pump or CGM doing this.

I do not go through the whole body scan, as I would get pulled anyway. So I tell them up front and I get searched. The first time, I was alittle freaked out. But then I discovered that the woman doing the search was more freaked out then I was--I felt sorry for her. I didn't have a big problem with the searching once I realized that. I would rather walk through the machine, but if I can't I still want to travel. So, as far as I am concerned, search away.

I will emphasize that I always carry a letter from my doctor that confirms that I am diabetic, and wear a pump and a CGM. I always tell them I have it, too. That even works in foreign countries where they can't read the letter. So, I carry it.
The problem is, no one knows when something like happened to someone else with a pump might happen to them. That's why there is concern.
I just got back from a trip from Cancun. The return trip was pretty hectic but I'll try to keep this TSA-related. No issue getting through Bradley (Hartford,CT) aside from the gel packs in my carry on to keep the extra insulin cold. I went through the metal detector without incident.

Coming back, Mexico isn't monitored by TSA (obviously) but I only had a problem with my cleaning kit for my Oakley's on my carry on. Made it through the metal detector without incident. Our flight from Cancun was late by an hour and 15 minutes so we missed our connecting flight. Had to stay the night in Washington DC (I was able to get some Yuengling (my favorite beer which we can't get in CT) on tap at the hotel bar!!) Got back to Dulles in the morning, had issues checking in because out of all the United employees behind the counter, we couldn't find one to help us (or knew what they were doing) with what we specifically needed to do.

After checking our bags, we made our way to security. They checked our boarding passes, then I got a "random palm swab". No biggie. Finally got up to x-ray/metal detectors. I emptied my pockets and took the clip off my pump. At this point I'm still connected to my pump, I'm wearing the Dexcom sensor/transmitter, and have my glasses on. I set off the metal detector, show them I'm not wearing a belt and that I have a pump, then I take off my glasses (they put them in a smaller bin to be scanned, for what I'm not sure). I set off the detector again, and have to wait 5-10 minutes for someone to come with a wand to scan me by hand. I guess I failed that test, then got the pat down. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I didn't feel like I was groped or that he became a TSA agent just so he could grope passengers (like so many people here seem to think is the case). The full body massage I received on Tuesday was much more invasive (and I had to pay for it!). The entire time every single agent I dealt with knew exactly what a pump was and never asked me to disconnect or go through the x-ray. After swabbing my hands again, I was cleared to go. However, they never returned my glasses. I have 20:400 vision and throughout this whole thing I couldn't see anything (specifically where they took my glasses) I waited another 15 minutes while they looked, then filled out some paperwork in case the glasses were found. Then we left for the gate. I wasn't overly concerned they lost my glasses because I had my contacts in my carry on and am getting new glasses in a week anyways. But as we walked away, the TSA agent that was in charge (he was wearing a suit) stopped us and told us they found them.

Long story short, I'm never flying international through Dulles again, but I will definitely be flying again,
I don't display my pump when going through mag and it almost never alerts. When it does, I show the Officer the pump and they pull me aside for the swab (see below). When its a body imager, I hold the pump as directed and wait for the swab. All they do now is ask you to rub your hand over the pump, then swab your hand, run the swab through an explosives-detection device and you are on your way. I fly 3 days/week and simply don't find it to be a problem. I do think that there is an element out there that is belligerent and insulted. The first is silly and the second is a misapprehension.
Hi Manny,
TSA has changed it procedures.I flew out of Newark this past week. Oh! I should mention, I was wearing a MediPump. No issues! In fact the TSA acutally has a procedure in place. No touching...not even the pump. They asked me to touch the unit and then they used a cloth for substance. It took a total of two minutes. And, in January I was in Miami and before that in Dubai, India.

I felt it was import to give an update. Our country has come a long way. And, we may have a way to go.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service