Hi guys, first post, be gentle :)

I was first diagnosed type 1 4 weeks ago. Despite a strict diet i have put my weight back on i lost (to be expected) but with 2 kilos 'interest'. I am on 10units lantus and bolus with novarapid 3 times a day to cover about 160 grams of carbs total a day (still honeymooning obviously as sometimes i dont even need a whole 3 units spread out over the day to cover the carbs). My endo said a small weight gain is normal and it platues off. Now all my clothes fit etc the same, but im wondering if it is bodyfat, is it possible to even shift this weight? I eat exactly the same cals, same workouts etc yet the extra couple of kilos dont budge at all. Its like my body has a new 'baseline' race weight or something? (im a triathlete) ...As mentioned, i like routine and eat the exact same everyday, and have a program i follow to training. Now i dont really feel fat or anything, i feel 'fuller' in the muscles etc, but yeh...weight is on somewhere?!
Sorry it may sound a little trivial, but extra weight in my sport is sometimes a bad thing.
Thanks for listening :)

Views: 361

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for the reply John :)
Well i had another trial sort of swim albeit in the pool. Had bs of 6 BUT had a cup of rice, vegies and chicken, my normal lunch. I didnt bolus on purpose. Got to the pool and i was 7.8mmols and still rising. Swam 44 laps (or 1.1kms) jumped out and was 3.9.
Im thinking before this weeks tri (750m swim) i might get myself to 10 atleast maybe even 12. At what point does the high blood sugar impact upon your exercise peformance? IE, how high is too high?
Also just wanted to note im ok with the highs as it is only on race day. My monthly/daily averages hover around 5 so these early days i have good control.

Did your BG start climbing as soon as you jumped out of the pool? When you tested are you sure your hands where completely dry...any moisture on your skin will dilute the sample and the reading will be low.

The 70 (3.9) would not concern me if I felt good when I climbed out of the water, no rubbery legs. I would not count on lunch carrying me...I would use a fast acting sports gel to carb up before the swim...

You will have to take baby steps and just see what happens...learning to use insulin and doing a extreme sport will be  like learning to walk again....Good luck

A lot of sports gel type of things have maltodextrose, which I've found to be absorbed more slowly, like 2 hours, instead of "right now"? My goal for "big events" is to have the insulin on board gone by the time the race starts and to be around 120, if it's a bit lower, I use quicker acting sugar, basically, candy or gatorade or something like that, to jack me right up into the wheelhouse of where I want to be and make the sugar available while I'm doing the activity. I agree that swimming is tough. The only other thing I could think of would be to practice swimming a ton to get more data. For a long event like a triathlon, I'd probably take smaller hunks of carbs to have some along the way too, again the faster acting stuff.

cheers acidrock- I was meaning to look into the gels and ingredients as i noticed some have dextrose, others malto etc. Your right, we want the quicker the better, and the easier on the guts would be nice too! thinking of trying honey stinger energy gels which are mostly honey. Supposedly easier on the guts. Gels dont agree with me at all!

Nope, my bg was at 3.9 and heading down. I was dry, i had a shower, dryed off and got changed. I did feel 'ok', not great, technique was trailing off towards the end, but that could just be fatigue in general. Its funny, i always thought, even as a diabetic, a full cup of rice would spike already normal bs levels enough to swim 1km. I mean, its not far by any stretch. But water kills my bs. Interesting you mentioned that arms use up heaps of bs, i always would have though the larger muscle groups like legs would use more.

well im starting to get some higher numbers so im thinking i need a bit more insulin. I hope you guys are right, more insulin does not mean more weight gain!

I did ask my endo this question, he swears black and blue that insulin itself doesnt produce weight gain, its more that people misjudge the dose and have to carb up to prevent the lows.

Well, technically, he's right of course. Just taking insulin is not going to "cause" weight gain just like your pancreas crapping out doesn't necessarily "cause" weight loss.

It's that whole domino effect of things that happen when your homeostasis gets rocked because of a defect in insulin production that wrecks havoc on your ability to maintain a constant weight. Generally speaking, highs and lows in a T1 are due to a mismatch of insulin and carbs. Since we control our insulin dose and carb intake, it's difficult enough to balance to two in a manner that achieves a stable weight. Throw in the type of carn burning activity that you do and all bets are off.

25 years after my diagnosis and I have yet to wake up two consecutive mornings at the same weight. In any given week, I might fluctuate 2 kilos either way.

2 kgs is good though! i have heard horror stories of t1's with higher insulin doses and put on weight.

I was diagnosed three years ago and lost about 15 pounds initially. I gained back about 6-7 and have maintained that weight. I am a runner and I do follow a pretty strict low carb diet. At first following the low carb diet was a little restricting. But over the last year I have researched many low carb recipe blogs and have learned to cook and bake an array of very delicious and satisfying food while maintaining my low carb goals. My pancreas is kaput so no more honeymoon for me. Still, I have kept my insulin needs the same for the last year. I do take Metformin as well. I started on that when misdiagnosed and have remained on it with my Doctor's blessing. In any event, I actually have never felt healthier or stronger and will be running my first half marathon in a few weeks.

half marathon awesome drsoosie! how many carbs do you have a day?

Hi Timmy! I probably consume an average of 50-80 a day depending. Some days lower than that. But I am not food deprived in any way. I make bread and cookies using alternative flours such as almond meal and coconut flour. It's amazing what you can make with these kinds of substitutions. I eat really whole natural food and this seems to work well for me. Like I said, my weight has been stable for three years and counting. I find eating low carb (for me) keeps my insulin needs level, my blood glucose predictable and my weight stable.

I know there is a lot of controversy among the D community about low carbing. I suppose you should read both sides of the coin and find what works for you. In the end, it's an individual disease and everyone responds to different things differently. But I think as an athlete who is concerned about weight you should look into it. If you are interested I can share some of the blog sites I visit for recipes.

Im super excited for the half. I have already run the distance on my own but look forward to doing with other peeps!!

I'll second timmy's way to go drsoosie!!

re carbs. My friend is a P90X afficianado and when the subject comes up, a lot of what he's done (http://teamdetermination.com/, *I'm not selling this but the pic is pretty funny...*) has to do with timing carbs, he eats them before he works out in the AM and not after 5:00 or something along those lines, going along w/ their program. I am sort of the opposite as I don't eat that many in the AM but usually hit them at night?

What I've noticed for the races I've run is that while many people load up on pre-race pasta, it's not entirely useful. My CGM suggests that if I load up right before, a couple of pieces of toast, and fuel with Gatorade, etc. during the race, I'll do ok? Most of the time, I eat a big lunch the day before, something "sturdy" like brown rice w/ chicken and veggies, sort of take it easy and relax maybe a light snack at bedtime and then relatively normal breakfast and will be good to do. I had horrible cramps in my calves at the marathon but I think I ran too fast when it was hot out and just got carried away with adrenaline. All the 1/2s, I've been pleased with my results and that plan 1) keeps me from gaining weight too much and 2) keeps me out of the porta-potties, not somewhere I want to spend race day!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service