News from Faustman Lab: Study finds some insulin production in long-term type 1 diabetes

BOSTON – Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) research has found that insulin production may persist for decades after the onset of type 1 diabetes. Beta cell functioning also appears to be preserved in some patients years after apparent loss of pancreatic function. The study results were published today in the March issue of Diabetes Care.

"Traditionally, it was thought that beta cell function completely ceased in patients with advanced type 1 diabetes. However, data from this study and others suggest that the pancreas continues to function at some level even decades after the onset of type 1 diabetes," says Denise Faustman, MD, PhD, director of the MGH Immunobiology Laboratory, who led the study.

Read more...

Tags: beta, cells, islets, research

Views: 1745

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THANKS so much for this post, Emily. This is why I have been donating blood for the past 3 years to The Faustman Lab.. I think Dr. Faustmann's research is plausible AND possible. I know there will be effective treatments for many, if not a total cure, theough her research. This really keeps hope Alive!!!

God Bless.
Brunetta!

I found this article posted online (here, and not as a word document: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-02/mgh-sfs021512.php ) earlier today, and find it encouraging. It provides some explanation to Dr. Faustman's earlier "mysterious" discovery that beta-cells regenerated under her BCG treatment. I suspect that they did not regenerate, but rather they continue to divide and multiply (is that a contradiction?) in all people, D or non-D, and halting the autoimmune process allows the cells to build-up to normal functioning levels.

Hopefully after nearly four decades of attack my pancreas hasn't went kaput. At this point I'd do any therapy to get off insulin. The articles above are really not anything new. The Faustman lab already confirmed these findings last June.

Thanks for posting this, Emily! Very interesting!

marty1492

Richard157 mentioned that they'd noticed this in the 50-year medalist survey as well. It would be nice if the researchers would share their data about stuff like this. Perhaps it would help them make more progress?

This sounds like such great news. Hopefully a cure for T1 is on its way. It would be wonderful if they could all work together?

Bernard Zinman, MD, one of the lead DCCT researchers, found that all of the adult-onset Type 1s in the study had some remnant beta cell function.

w00t!

Yes, I thought I'd read that somewhere quite awhile ago, just didn't know who said it.

I've been meaning to send my 2012 donation out to them. Heck if everyone on this forum sent Dr F even a measly $10 that would add up to some decent cash.

Interesting. I thought her research had already shown this, but perhaps it had been only hypothesis. Thanks for posting!

Today the Diabetes Research Institute is reporting that Professor Roep from the Netherlands is stating something similar. He is also talking about a vaccine for the antibodies. I'm not good at posting links but the article is called Dutch Professor: Type 1 Diabetes can be Cured/Radio Netherlands Worldwide.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service