So, here it is. I got out of a relationship a couple of months ago. She was a non-diabetic and it was a great relationship (BUT) there was a couple of speed bumps because of the diabetes. One issue that def, popped up more then once, was my freaking pump/sensor going off when she would stay the night. It would beep and vibrate her awake.... not as romantic as it sounds. Has anyone else had this issue when sleeping with someone and having your pump on? How do you work around this kind of thing? I really hate having to worry about waking up the next person I become romantically involved with every time we share a bed. Maybe I should try to date another diabetic who wears the same kind of medical equipment.... it would be like two romantic robots sharing a bed and shutting down for the night. I've dated another diabetic before and things did seem to workout a lot smoother in those kinds of circumstances. A friend of mine suggested going back to just shots and I said no way - my blood sugar stays on a tighter control thanks to the sensor and pump so thats out of the question.

Comments, questions, your own relationship stories good and bad? Go for it.

I'd love to hear them. Lets face it diabetes can .... is a pain in the ass when in a relationship and hearing others talk about it helps knowing your not alone.

Thanks guys,
Jim A.
SF, CA.

Tags: 1, adult, issues, relationships, sleeping, type

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always assumed that nobody wants a diabetic. I thought my fate was to die alone. Why choose a diabetic when there are so many non-diabetics out there? My reasoning seems to be non-standard. All the women that I approached didn't seem to care. Maybe I selected the ones that did not care. Who knows. I am embarrassed to say that I would have rejected myself for my diabetes but no woman ever did. If you ran into a woman that is as flawed in her thinking as me, move on. Don't worry if her rejection used diabetes as argument. I will always remember Tiger Wood's response about harassment as a black kid. Tiger Woods said something along the lines: "Not everybody will like me. It does not matter to me whether the reason is that I am black.". I am totally with Tiger Woods. Feeling like a victim when the label diabetes is used in the course of a rejection puts too much weight on it. It might be just a convenient excuse. Nobody is perfect. Diabetes is not so bad. Think of diabetes as a shield that protects you from women that would only go though thick with you but not through thin.
You deserve better! And "better" is out there. I can almost tell you the exact second I totally fell in love with my husband. It was early in our dating and he went out of town for a few days. When he got back in tgown I asked about his trip (I had no idea where he had gone). He told me he spent a few days in the library of a medical school trying to learn what he could about T1 diabetes. (This was pre-internet).

He has NEVER complained about the expense, I have NEVER even heard a heavy sigh when I've asked for help with a hard low. NEVER. And I honestly don't see how he does it. But he does, and I can't imagine this long journey without his understanding and support.

I thing how a partner/spouse reacts to diabetes is good measurement of how compassionate they are and how they will respond to other situations.
My only T1 friend got a pump because his (not D) wife insisted he get one. She witnessed too many of his lows. He's much healthier since he married this awesome person who did a self-taught crash course in diabetes. Wishing for you a woman as wonderful.
I started on the dexcom and pump both after my wife an I were married. That being said, she prefers my better control despite the bleeps, the sweeps, and the creeps. It also works out that we work different shifts so seldom sleep at the same time. On my days off, the dexcom usually wakes her and she wakes me up.
Nothing wrong with being waken midsleep witha lover in bed. Hit the silence button, deal with the alarm and as long as you are boith awake - find something interesting that you can do together then back to sleep!
I use the Omnipod and I've never had a problem with sounds, I cut them all off except for the low insulin alert so that is the only one I get. And I usually replace the pods during the day or before bed. That way that alarm doesn't bother us at night either.

Now on the personal side, if that is enough to run her off you should be happy she is gone.
I sympathize to a certain extent, because my son's CGM's beeping drives me bananas in the night (still working on the control, obviously...). Can't tell you how many times I've been wakened lately by a sleepy-eyed child saying, "Mommy, my pump is singing!" But, I don't have the luxury of dumping my darling boy — and frankly, even as I curse the beeping, I know it's helping me maintain his health, so I bless it as well. The pump is indeed part of the package. She either learns to live with it, or you move on and find someone who can. End of story.
I agree with acidrock, if you can find out what is causing the bleeping and then try to fix that. Also, I turn off my high alarm at night (just leaving low alarm on), and always check before I go to sleep so I don't get told to calibrate during the night. If you are getting weak sensor readings try disconnecting some of your interferring electronic devices and trying different CGM placement.
I am a big supporter of a full night's sleep, however, a good girlfriend will be more concerned that the alarm is going off and what she can do to help, rather than be upset she's missing a few z's. Few people understand just how dangerous diabetes can be. Be patient. The right girl will come along.
Diabetes makes us higher maintenance, but if that freaked her out, then she's probably not the one for you. To me that is kind of a wake-up call to the kind of person she is. If she can't handle that, then I'd have to wonder how much she could handle in other situations. I don't think she is the norm, based on my personal experience. I've been in four long-term relationships with diabetes, and no one thought twice about things like that happening usually. Sometimes it was frustrating when I was on shots and had worse control and had too high of a blood sugar at a time when we had, say, dinner reservations, or an invite to a dinner party, but your pump going off at night shouldn't be a big deal. Just my opinion. but I think you will find someone for whom it is not a problem.
I would think of your pump as a good person detector..anyone that is not willing to see around this is not worthy, we all have annoying things we might be doing while not noticing and it is a compromise. I wish you much luck, my hubby supports my diabetes, no matter what it brings.
I would think of your pump as a good person detector..anyone that is not willing to see around this is not worthy, we all have annoying things we might be doing while not noticing and it is a compromise. I wish you much luck, my hubby supports my diabetes, no matter what it brings.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service