I spend a lot of time with my little sister, bil, and my two nieces, even went on a vacation recently to CA where I had roller coaster bgs and one severe low at 39 and they saw me pretty much a mess to the point where I was resting a lot on benches at the San Diego Zoo, and to the point where my sister said you are getting old on me. I was a mess.

Well today she told me she was going to start on a tennis league and asked me to join with her. I told her I use to ride my bike 20 miles a weekend, tennis and/or racquet ball every night when I was first married and that since pumping I just have too many lows and not sure I want to do the tennis and deal with all the lows.

Her reply was that my body would just have to get use to the tennis again, omg, she sooo does not get it. :(

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't care if they are gorgeous as long as they do housework!!!
First you want to be waited on and now you want housework too? I can tend the grill and the Bar but don't clean windows or toilets!
It takes time to overcome the fear if you've ever gotten really sick after exercising.
But, that's why they say to "consult your doctor before beginning an exercise program".

A lot of it is trial and error, like all the rest of our learning.

Last time exercising, I got sick again , but I know to start out more gradually and another factor to consider.

A lot of this is individual. My body is more sensitive to insulin for more than 12 hours afterwards, so I don't think it's a one size fits all thing.

Yes, one can work up to tennis, but walking to the mailbox, walking around the block, walking for 30 minutes, etc. may be the babysteps needed beforehand that make the tennis successful.

:-) Elaine
I do walk 3-5 times a week, but I want MORE, MORE, MORE, and I feel that I have lost that since I started pumping 7 years ago.

I miss my 20 mile bike rides and my 18 holes of golfing.

I truly feel it is all the fast acting insulin pumping into my system at all times.
It is bewildering of how different our diseases are. I can do prodigious amounts of exercise without going low. I really have to inject a lot of fast acting insulin to go low. Liver seems to be able to crank out great amounts of glucose so far. I wonder if you go low often if this harms the liver's ability to deliver large amounts of glucose?
exercise is sooooooo good for your body, helps your body use insulin better
I am from the other side though, I don't have diabetes. I am always trying to "get" it so much, sometimes I find myself all unconsciously confused, and I have to remind myself: "hey Andre, you don't have diabetes, back off"

The only thing I can tell you is that it is frustrating for me too. Difficult to express in words, but some of us (type 3's) are really trying our best to be there and "get it". I know it is not the case, for what you describe, but sometimes we, from the other side can offer a different perspective to some things, and I want the best for him. and maybe, just maybe that can help... and maybe because we don't have "it" doesn't mean we don't get it...

At least I like to think that...

I am not sure what your sister meant or was thinking when she told you that your: "body would just have to get use to the tennis again", but I know that I have spent hours awake at night, when I know my husband may be high and sleeping. I try to push him to exercise, even if he is reluctant to deal with lows and he is tired and frustrated. I hear stories of people with diabetes that manage to exercise and judge low and highs. Maybe that Is what she meant, I am not implying it is easy. But only that some of us, type 3's are only trying to help, and that even if we don't feel the symptoms, or our bodies do not suffer complication, we fear and worry, and sometimes we talk, and annoy our loved ones. Sometimes we act out of love and fear, not plain ignorance.
I think you might understand a lot about diabetes, even though you do not have it. But the experience of being a Type 1, of having to constantly think about your blood glucose 24/7, that is not something that can be gained in any way besides having Type 1. I don't even think there is anything a non-diabetic can compare it to because before I was diagnosed, there simply was nothing in my life that required that sort of attention and concern.

The technical details of how to manage diabetes are not the hardest part of the condition for me. In fact that is the easiest part in many ways. The hardest part is trying to live my life with this constant preoccupation with regulating my blood glucose and the emotional highs and lows (mostly lows) that come along with that. That is, not letting those emotional lows take over my entire mental state. It is difficult and often impossible, to be honest.

Lots of diabetics defiantly claim that diabetes does not define them. It makes them feel, I suppose, that they have more control over the condition than they might feel they otherwise do. I am not one of those people. Diabetes defines me to a great extent and that is the tragedy of this disease. I am not myself, not who I would be without diabetes and I often wonder what that person would be like.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I try to explain to people who love me what it is like to think about your blood sugar 24 hours a day. It's not always occupying all my thought, but somehow it's on my mind all the time. When did I eat last? How much insulin is on board? Is it time to check yet?

(Just as a side note to Andre, you understanding and showing support DOES make a huge difference!)

But I think it is really hard for people without a chronic condition that requires constant care to understand.

For that reason, I lowered my expectations. I guess I feel that it's better for me not to expect people to "get it" because then I won't be disappointed. But this can make you incredibly lonely in the daily struggles.

That's why you see me on TuDiabetes everyday. That's why I can't get away from this place :) because no matter how much people in my "real" world love me, they don't fully get it. You guys do. Therefore I am thankful for you!!
I agree, support from my family and friends who are not Type 1 is crucial and means a lot more to me than I often let on. But I am here all of the time too for the same reason- I simply cannot find the sort of kinship present here anywhere else! It has honestly motivated me to take care of myself more than anything else in recent memory and I am more thankful for that than I can put into words.
Andre, you are doing a wonderful job and that Manny fella is lucky to have you, I'm sure he doesn't mind you kicking his bottom into gear. Sometimes I just like to moan, it's a side-affect of the insulin, it is. Even though I've had this D for over 20 yrs, it can still catch me out, it changes day to day, every day is different. I have tried to imagine what I would have been like without D, I know that in the past I used it as an excuse for fear of failure. I do think though that I would be absolutely famous, with a perfect body and so much money, I wouldn't have time to spend it, its all this Ds' fault that I didn't reach these heights. Well at least we have this place, I intend to moan alot here.
Josephine....Good thing for "D!" The world couldn't handle so many more beautiful, fabulously successful people.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

The Newest Member of the DHF Team

Hi there! My name is Desiree Johnson and I’m the new addition to the DHF family! There is so much I want to share about my first few days at the office, but I’ll keep it short. The DHF team Read on! →

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service