I spend a lot of time with my little sister, bil, and my two nieces, even went on a vacation recently to CA where I had roller coaster bgs and one severe low at 39 and they saw me pretty much a mess to the point where I was resting a lot on benches at the San Diego Zoo, and to the point where my sister said you are getting old on me. I was a mess.

Well today she told me she was going to start on a tennis league and asked me to join with her. I told her I use to ride my bike 20 miles a weekend, tennis and/or racquet ball every night when I was first married and that since pumping I just have too many lows and not sure I want to do the tennis and deal with all the lows.

Her reply was that my body would just have to get use to the tennis again, omg, she sooo does not get it. :(

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My parents get all angry when I take insulin in public. Getting it? I think not. Not at all. Its a disease to them, not a lifestyle... and thats hard.
And my boyfriend does nothing but EAT CARBS when I'm around, and though he has been getting increasingly supportive, he really has no idea.
I have nobody around that has Type 1, and its SO lonely and disheartening.
Your own parents? Wow.

I feel ya on the loneliness. If I stop to think about it too much it almost makes me cry sometimes.
I did a Diabetes 101 to a field nurse at work yesterday, she was absolutely clueless, and then I did a pump show and tell.

She said her dad was just diagnosed and taking insulin and she kind of made fun of how strict he was being with it all, oy vey.

She was clueless and said to me good for you for taking such good care of yourself after I told her I test 10-12 times a day. Grrrrr, I test cause I have to see if I am gonna pass out.

Needless to say I did not feel any better after trying to educate someone, especially a nurse. I just felt sad, well of course I was also recovering from a bgs of 53 and a dunkin donut fix, yada, yada, yada.
@ oneless- Me too! Its so sad. And nooobody thinks it affects me like that. Whateverrr.

@Karen- Good for you! I never really spoke up about it but after reading a lot of the stories on here I was inspired and wrote a 3 page essay on how people are dumb about it and should stop making fun of diabetes and read a book about it. It was not a nice letter... I think you have to get aggressive for people to understand the severity of it all sometimes.
If only all these people that are so un-compassionate would have to be diabetic for a week or more............boy their tune would change. I don't get people sometimes, makes me so mad!!!
I am a pretty angry diabetic at times as well!!!
Perhaps OT but this is an Interesting thread that dickengel has resurrected here!!
People who do not have Type 1 cannot understand, largely due to falsehoods perpetrated by the media. Public is more familiar with Type 2, but also have no idea of what that entails. I never thought diabetes was a serious illness before my niece was diagnosed at 8; thought you just had to take oral meds and watch your diet if Type 2 and that Type 2 could be reversed. Did know about Juvenile Diabetes and Type 1 but thought you just took a few shots of insulin daily, in addition to watching your diet, and all would be okay. Having never experienced living with someone on insulin, I had no way of knowing what that entailed. Insulin is a dangerous and unpredictable drug, especially when you are engaging in a lot of exercise. Our teen has been ice-skating once a week. Not a figure skater, just hangs out with friends at the local ice rink for two or three hours. Total ice skating time would probably be about an hour, with breaks in between for talking and eating. Having to reduce basals by 20 percent for a twelve hour period, in addition to giving 70 grams of free carbs, 35 at midnight and again 35 when she dropped down to 103 an hour and a half after eating the carbs. Eventually, we will figure it out and probably reduce basals more. We do bring her blood sugar up higher (around 150) before bedtime. And still had to give the 70 grams of carbs. Happened last week too. If you really want to play tennis, you should not let diabetes stop you; you can figure it out. Much easier to have the same level of activity every night, rather than heavy exercise once a week. But if it's too much bother, it's up to you. Sounds like it's your sister who wants you to play and you don't care one way or another. Yes, it is safer to just get moderate exercise, than heavy. Absolutely.
You get it Jan :).

I did not play tennis and have stuck to the moderate exercise daily, but I sure do miss my walking 18 holes of golf and my all day bike rides. Thinking I should just turn pump totally off and eat, eat, eat.

Insulin is a scary drug.
Insulin is a scary drug to the uninformed - to the informed it is a lifesaver. Get a CGM and learn what your body does then exercise as you choose and eat as you choose. Reclaim your life!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service