Is anyone else running into this issue...we were just told that our supplier is out of the "old" freestyle test strips and only has the new Freestyle Lites. The lites are not FDA approved for use with the omnipod. Insulet has told us that they are recommending testing with a seperate meter and manually entering levels into the pod. This defeats the purpose of why we originally went with the pod! Are you all using the Lites with the PDM?

Tags: Omni, Pod, Users

Views: 875

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congradulations! I hope it works well for you. Don't get discouraged if something goes wrong. This is what we are all here for. To encourage one another.
Even though our daughter isn't on Omnipod anymore, please feel free to ask me any questions. We have 3 years experience with them.
We have dealt with issues from time to time. Especially Pod failures.
I will say that if you have a problem with a pod, call insulet right away and be prepared to go into your diary list.
They may ask you what your glucose readings were etc. They will send you out a new pod if one fails, no matter how many times they fail. That is one good thing I liked about Omnipod.
Well, I had gotten a phone call yesterday, from Insulet letting me know about the status of my Omnipod, and that's when I questioned her about the shortage of Freestyle Strips.. she told me that I can contact Abbott, and proceeded to give me the phone number (after placing me on hold a couple of times, since she wasn't expecting that I'd find out about this). She did tell me that I should be able to use "the other Freestyle strips" but it has not been approved by the FDA and cannot officially reccommend using the Freestyle Lite Strips (seriously?!)...

I have yet to hear from the Omnipod Territory Manager to respond to my email... = /
Hi RissaMae - you may want to check out this blog post about the different test Abbot test strips: http://www.ardensday.com/main/2011/1/26/my-freestyle-test-strip-tes.... Good luck!
Thanks Kate!! That blog really helped me.. I think the only reason why I'm reacting this way is because I was not told about the test strip changes (if you can call it that) prior to my choosing Omnipod. So I suppose I am questioning their integrity....
Well, keep in mind that Abbot and Insulet are 2 separate companies. The test strip issue is really an Abbott issue. Insulet used their technology and then Abbott made all kinds of changes. It's like getting mad at your Xbox because Netflix isn't streaming correctly because of an issue at Netflix. :)
RissMae83,
I have to say, that was one thing I did not like about Omnipod. My doctor says the same thing: They have poor customer service sometimes.
All in all, I am sure you will be happy with Omnipod. The no tubing is a plus.
I hope the best for you.
Thanks MarysMom -- I actually went to my Diabetes Learning Center and asked the nurse if they knew about the test strip shortages for the PDM and they were ALL unaware... now it really makes me wonder...
Don't take this as saying you should use them, but I've been using the freestyle and now freestyle lights in the Omnipod for months and months, well actually since getting the Omni about a year ago, with absolutely no problems (that I know of) I tried them in both in the separate glucose monitor along with the PDM at the same time to verify and I never saw a problem.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service