I'm starting on a pump late June (after I go to summer Camp!)
Would Anyone Mind sharing how much they paid out of pocket for the Ping Pump??
Thanks so much!
any tips anyone??

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That will depend entirely upon your insurance company and the benefits you have. It can vary widely even with the same company as different businesses have different policies and benefits.

My copay was about $1,000 for the pump and first 3 months of supplies. My insurance covers 85% of the contracted rate and I'm responsible for the other 15%. No cap on DME for me. This was a year ago.
Just call your insurance company and ask. That is the only way to find out. At the same time, ask for a copy of their criteria or where it may be located online if you don't have that yet.
Every insurance contract varies somewhat. Usually it ranges from 10% to 50% out of pocket. Then you need to ask how they pay for the pump supplies. Total cost? Portion? A cap on how many infusion sets per month?
Do you know that your insurance company supports insulin pump purchases?
Sounds like you must have some knowledge about it if you know you are starting in late June.
Good luck with it.. Keep us posted as to what happens with it.
I agree with others that it depends on insurance. I didn't bother contacting my insurance initially but just the Animas rep as they will walk through it all for you, from contacting your insurance company to contacting your doctor.

Just one financial tip: If you are low income you may qualify for Animas to waive your share of the cost. Talk to your rep if you think you may qualify.

As far as (non-financial) tips: Order Pumping Insulin by John Walsh - it is my bible for my new pump, although you also will need to read the manual for the Ping as each pump is unique, but he is great for general pumping information.

RSS

Advertisement



REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

  Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

  Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)


DHF VOLUNTEERS


Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)


Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

 

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service