Yesterday, I was coming back home after dinner and I knew I had about 2 hours left of insulin in my pump. I got deep into other things and completely (I mean absolutely forgot about it).

This morning I wake up to a BG of 149 (not super-high, certainly not low) and was going to bolus when I realized: CRAP! I never put in a new reservoir/infusion set.

I just took care of it, but I estimate I was out of any insulin for about 10 hours or so. Has this happened to any of you? What did you do the day after to avoid huge highs?

Tags: insulin, out, reservoir

Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Damn, I would have been in the 4-700's if I'd been out for 10 hrs.

Count yourself darn lucky.
I've done this twice recently - two set changes in a row! I've been super busy with a lot going on and .... (excuses, excuses). I haven't had much fallout afterward, but I do just keep a close eye on things - extra testing with any necessary boluses. But truly, it leads to a question: WHY IS THERE NO ALARM FOR 0 UNITS LEFT?!?!
I think if you are busy during the time you are out of insulin...you can maintain medium level blood sugars....but if you are just sleeping and not doing much you should go high...my pump beeps "low reservoir" but never when you are completely out. Yes, I think it should because I am sure many people forget. Do you always change your reservoir anyway after three days ??
Sheila
Yep I change it after three days. Normally I use up almost all my insulin in the reservoir by then.
My words! :S
I'm not sure what kind of pump you're using, but I have a minimed 722, and prior to that I had a 512. The 512 used to say empty reservoir and beep like it does when it has a low reservoir.My 722 now says "no delivery "when empty and beeps 6 times.If you have one of these pumps and it's not alerting you, maybe it has a malfunction?
Mine only goes off when it reaches 20 units, and never again. I need to call Minimed and see what is up
HI Manny.
I regularly let my MiniMed 722 run until I receive the “NO DELIVERY” message.
When you say “ran out” does that mean you had no bars or indication on your pump of insulin left in the reservoir. Did you not receive any warnings from your pump?
If I went 10 hours without insulin, I would be much higher than your 149bg.
I figure AFTER my last bar disappears, there is still about 20 units left that continue to be dispensed (basal and/or bolus) before the “NO DELIVERY” message appears.
My “NO DELIVERY” message is 5 buzzes, about every 5 minutes, after about 3 of those warnings, there is an audible beeping which grows louder.
Ran out as in zero units left. Clearly when insulin was all depleted I was either:
a) Fast asleep; or
b) Fast blocking the sound of the pump in my head. :(
damn, my bg skyrockets if i set my basal to 0 for more than 90 minutes!
I don't know the details of every brand of pump... but every one I've seen, will register as "0 units left" but still have a little left in the reservoir and tubing.

I mean, I happen to know that my wife's car will still run even though the gas tank needle is pointing to "E", but I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do this! I suspect that you still had some insulin left in the reservoir or at least in the tubing. Did you check the tubing and find that it was empty too?

Actually running a vial of insulin completely and totally to zero, is hard. There's always some small number of units left in it that I could never get out with a syringe etc.

Tim.
You may have been somewhat protected by having some residual endogenous insulin production. And after all, you did not eat, helping the situation.

As to your question, I would think the right thing to do the following day would be to test/correct often and aggressively expecting that a high may have occured with potential extreme hormone reaction leaving you with insulin resistance for a day or two making restoration of normal blood sugars difficult.

Of course, I don't use insulin and have never had this happen.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service