When you go out to a restaurant and you take a shot before your meal, what do you do with the needle? I take my shot right at the table, and I recap the needle and put it in my purse. I thought that's what everyone did, but apparently not. I waitress at a restaurant and we've been having issues with people leaving their needles on the table when they leave. Even though I myself am a T1 I don't want to handle someone elses needles, even capped. I don't think all pen users realize that this is a serious hazard. If at home you are supposed to dispose of your needles in a red hazards bin, why would you ever think it is okay to leave them on a table for an unsuspecting bus boy? When I eat at work, I am not even allowed to throw my needles in the trash. My boss is very strict on this matter. We've also had people complain when seeing them in the trash cans in our restrooms. What do you do with your needles when you give yourself a shot somewhere other than home?

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i generally recap them and put them in my back pocket (the one i don't keep my wallet in).
Eating out has never been a problem with me. I carry an empty Strip container marked SHARPS and remove needle into this container. If a should forget the container I recap the needle and insert Pen into carrying case. I usually test and inject in the restroom. I have tested at the table before but, always inject in the restroom or after eating in the car. By doing the injection in the car I have some idea of the effect of carbs. I have eaten.
same as you do. I had a portable red sharps container but it broke and I haven't found another. My purse does fine until I get home.
I always keep my used supplies in my purse until I get home. I have frequently seen dirty or used supplies in bathrooms aswell and I find it disgusting! I think the people who do this are either just incredibly stupid, rude, or both. It's just common sense, pick up after yourself!

P.S In Canada (Ontario) where I live there is a bill in place right now that is titled "The Canadian Students Bill Of Rights". It would give diabetic students not only the right to charge people if their rights are violated, but it would also force the school to place at least one sharps container in every bathroom facility in all elementary, secondary, and post secondary school. As well as a private area (other than a washroom) to administer medication. Just thought this might interest some of you.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

What’s up with advocacy at Diabetes Hands Foundation?

At Diabetes Hands Foundation (Co-founded in 2008 which drives Tudiabetes among other programs) diabetes advocacy has become an increasingly important part of our work over time. Since 2013, these efforts took us down a path that resulted in a roadmap Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service