Pharmacy students at the Univeristy of Alberta took part in a one week exercise to better understand type 2 diabetes. They were "diagnosed" and had to monitor their blood sugar, and inject fake insulin) for a week. I think this sort of exercise would be an excellent learning opportunity for doctors and nurses as well. A little empathy would go a long way in fostering better communication between diabetics and their care team. I'm not sure if they actually had to change their diet or not, but at least they got a small taste of what we go through every day.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/video/handson+learning/video.html?v...

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good move Emmy to post here !!!...my mind only went as far as posting the link in the Canadian group several hours ago ...so THANKS Tu friend :) I think I heard being mentioned , that this " program "has been going on for 6 years ...glad it hit the news !! ..It has been posted on FB as well .

They're getting a little taste and that's good. I hope that they were asked to keep accurate logs, calculate their carbs and simulate at least one "hypo" by setting their clock for 2 a.m. and getting up to deal with it for at least :40 minutes, not just flip the clock back off -- and then cope with the disordered feeling of interrupted sleep the next day. A script describing a minute-by-minute real hypo to read when they're half-asleep would be nice too: "test your blood sugar...oh, no, it's only 55 mg/dl...take 15 grams of carbs...wait 15 minutes...test again...you're still too low, only 60...take another 15 grams of carbs...wait another 15 minutes...test again...darn, now you're 100 mg/dl...you'll probably go too high, but at least you're no longer hypo...eat a ounce of nuts to keep from crashing again in your sleep and you can go back to bed...be sure to worry as you fall asleep: too high? too low? too high? too low?..."

What a great idea! I wonder if this is unique, or is taught at other universities? I've run into so many clueless pharmacists over the years and wish this training was standard procedure.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service