Have wracked my brains and can think of only a few things. Our 14 year old would like to just stick her cell phone in her pocket, pump is clipped to inside of jeans, and run out the door without always having to lug around a purse...... except..... she can't do this because she has to carry around her glucometer. Does not want to wear a spibelt, waistit or other type of belt, at least not all the time. I have a pocket in a pinch from Tallygear that I could pin into jeans somewhere. And old spandex pump packs I could do the same. Problems still with meter. We have freestyle flash and their small lancet, but those darn strip containers are too bulky. Does anyone carry strips in another container? If so would they be viable? Would only have to pack enough strips for a few hours. Other options are using a Bayer Breeze 2 which has stips in the drum or a True to Go meter. At some point the meter companies need to address this issue and give us true portability. Any ideas?

Views: 904

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am totally that way about shoes. I have had a "if you buy new shoes, you have to get rid of old ones" rule for a few years now but am almost out of old ones... :-(
but there is always an "oldest" pair even if its not all that old. My dad always had 2 hats a GTH and a BTH which were goin to hell and been to hell. Whenever he got a new hat the BTH was discarded and the GTH demoted to a BTH! It is a good system which eliminates clutter. I am probably the same with shoes but maybe 2 pair dress, 2 pair casual and 2 pair sneakers. I cant see any need for more.
I don't even want to admit how many pairs of sneakers I have, plus dress shoes (I have to have brown & black as I'm fussy...), boots, 2x birks, Tevas, Keens, Converse, 2x vans...
My daughter is the same age...so I know what you are saying.

At school she carries her meter in a pencil bag that has 3 holes and fits in the rings of her main planner/binder. We use the One Touch Ultra and it is pretty small.

DD isn't crazy about purses either, but she was willing to carry an over the shoulder hipster style purse. She likes Vera Bradley so we went there and got her the hipster and the pencil bag too. It's a small purse but has different pockets for organizing. It's all about fitting in at this age...

I always keep a stash of supplies in our cars and in my purse too.
What I would really like to see is a tiny glucometer, along the lines of the Side Kick, but FLAT. And small lancer that would hook to the side of it.... TINY. Between the pump, Receiver for Dexcom (when she agrees to wear it) and glucometer, these kids have to carry a lot. And what do boys do if they don't like cargo pants and don't want to schlep around a messenger bag and are not into wearing waistits, spibelts or the like?
I use the MM UltraMini that fits in my pocket when I'm going to the clubs in my tight jeans...like a G6...

We have the Minis. So with the freestyle lancer, the Ultra Mini and a baggie for strips, I think that may be as flat as I can get. I'm glad someone already tried the baggies and that they work. Could sew elastic bands or spandex along the waist of her jeans maybe. I knew I could get some good ideas here. Thanks.
i would be extremely careful around use of baggies - I know others have said that they tried the successfully but how do they know that they were accurate? The owners manual states  CAUTION: Do Not use your test strips if your vial is damaged or left open to air. This could lead to error messages or tests that
read higher than the actual value.

The vial has a dehumidification agent that keeps the strips dry. From the owners manual  CAUTION: The test strip vial contains drying agents that are harmful if inhaled or swallowedand may cause skin or eye irritation.

You may initially get good results, but I think that over time you may get unaccurate readings when using the baggies to store the strips. It may work most of the time, but how many inaccurate readings before your precious daughter is at risk - I would not risk it. I think there are other meters that use foil packages - I used to use one but disliked the package as they were difficult to open.
Strips should not be in baggies. They need to be kept in the container sealed from any moisture & light. They degrade quickly.
I did think that also. I wonder if those bio things for holding used strips from Stik Me designs might work. Want something flat. If the foil wrapped ones work, it would be an expensive solution, but it is a solution. Or the Breeze 2 meter (which looks kind of large) and a lancer. Still thinking..... What if you took 10 strips, wrapped them in your own foil and put that in a baggie?
No, that won't work. The cannisters contain a chemical to keep them dry. Notice how there aren't many strips in containers. Every time the container is opened, strips are exposed so they're sold in small cannisters. The foil used in individually wrapped strips is different than household aluminum foil. Who knows how the strip chemicals may react to alumiunum. They're delicate.
I thought I recognized Acid Rock in the G6 video :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service