Seems like I should know this by now-- if you check two hours after meal you've bolus dosed for and find you are above your target range-- say, 180 for example-- do you administer a correction dose at that time? Or just learn from it for future reference? I haven't really figured out this concept yet.

Views: 948

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IDK, Sam...i just did a trial CGM last week for 7 days..and it was all over the place, told me i was low, like dropping to 40's when I wasn't..sometimes it was close..but it might just mess you up a bit right now? One's not supposed to correct or go off what the CGM says (it's used to show 'trends')..but it's hard not to when you see arrows going down, down, down and alarms going off. I'm still relatively new at this, just coming out of my honeymoon, really..and things have been more stable. It took at least a year and I am still very insulin sensitive.

It matters too where you're starting at at the meal. Check at the one hour mark..see what's happening. Again, if you're coming down then that's good. Your basal ties into this too. As this disease progresses and our beta cells die off totally, where I'm at now, if I don't match my carbs with insulin, I don't come back down..that's when we do the corrections and with time and experience, we learn to know how and 'when' to do those corrections.

That's great that your doc has experience, hands on, with Type 1, that's invaluable..great for you.

How do you feel? Do you feel those spikes...I guess that matters too?

Yes, I think many of us have learned to eat less carbs and bolus less to avoid spikes. Also there is something called the "law of small numbers" that means that the less carbs you eat and the less insulin you take the less chance of making mistakes and if you do make mistakes, the result is less severe. Many people have excellent results longterm on true low carb, following Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". Others of us eat a more moderate version, like myself - I try and keep it under 100 a day.

I just sent a note to my doctor asking about going to zero basal. I think that might not be a bad idea for me too at this point...

I think there are a number of honeymooners who just are using bolus w/meals if their fasting numbers are good. It sounds like they (you) caught this very early. I was DKA, put on both..then honeymooned and I too was so insulin sensitive, everything was lowered. I decided to just do basal, my fasting numbers, (the second phase of this) were really high too. I did small amounts of basal and just basically no carbs because I didn't want to bolus..didn't last too long, eventually everything effects blood sugars and I was too skinny anyway.

Maybe that would be a good thing...just bolus if your fasting numbers are still good????

Starting tomorrow will be on zero basal. Hopefully it works out. Have a question-- my current Lantus pen is almost full. I know they say not to refrigerate after using-- but it would be a shame to wait for the 28 days to pass and throw away this much insulin. Anyone have any experience good or bad breaking the rules and putting a used pen back in the fridge?

I always refrigerated my Lantus, the current pen as well as my supply. But I think once it's open then it's still only good for 28 days.

If it doesn't extend its life after its open, why do you do it then?

You got me. I assume it just protects it to keep it refrigerated, keep it from being exposed to hot temps and to potential contaminants. I just always kept mine there because it's as good a place as any.

I do the same thing, just put it back in the frig, toss after 28 days. I take my insulin out about 10 minutes before I inject as I've heard room temp insulin doesn't burn so much, IDK, then just put it back in frig.

good luck, sam, with no basal.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service