I have no idea how to even count carbs. I eat the equivalent of one slice of bread a day max. The rest is protein and I cook a roast, bison, or pork, or seafood, or eggs, every day of the week. My BGs stay between 3.5 and 4.5 (60-80) all day and I feel great, and especially stable and safe. If I am higher than 5 (90) I can't think the way I like to. Tonight will be a bison meal with tomatoes, zucchini, onion, red pepper, and cauliflower, yes, my mouth is watering already.
I have 51 years experience with type one and saw my last endo in 1969. That is no typo.
High protein keeps my BG very constant through the day. I inject only bolus of 22 hour insulin twice a day with some R mixed in for fun. No, I have no choice when I eat, I eat at the same time every day, but when I do it is always a totally glorious affair. The insulin I use is very slow, and protein is slow, so it is a perfect match.
This debate, I must say, has gotten an unexpected amount of attention. I think it is great to see such diversity; in opinions, eating habits, humor, etc.
I do think diet is a four letter swear word. They very rarely work. If they do they last only short term for most, don't like generalizations.
I like the 80:20 rule, try to make good food choices 80% of the time, actually good choice regarding health not just food. The other 20% of the time, well that's the time to have that guilt free food, or 3 beers too many, or a whole week-end of doing absolutely squat. Keeping in mind that moderation is a very subjective way of saying I do what I want 20%, 30%, 40%, like I said subjective.
Thanks for all the comments. You folks are a great, and informative bunch of PWD! Love it!
The Diabetes Hands Foundation and Diabetes Advocates Program is proud to announce and congratulate the members of DA who were granted scholarships to attend diabetes conferences in 2013! Thanks to a generous grant from Novo Nordisk, in 2013 we were … Continue Reading
El Centro Nacional de Prevención de Enfermedades Crónicas y Promoción de la Salud en el Estados Unidos encontró que a partir de 2002-2009, el 11,8% de los hispanos mayores de 20 años, que viven en los EU, viven con diabetes … Continue Reading