When ordering our pump we were asked what color we would like or if we wanted to use skin covers for the pump clear is better. Does anyone use the skins?

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not to hijack the original question you posted, but just to add to wearing the pump - mine usually goes into my pocket as I am less likely to catch it on something, but even if it is clipped to my waistband (like when wearing a skirt) what with all the cell phones hanging around people today no one ever pays attention to it unless I wind up having to mess with it to bolus or to see what it yelled at me for (like low reservoir alarm).
Also, couple of years ago, I spent summer playing at local waterpark - used the Aquapac to put my pump in as for me to go without basal really wrecks my day. One day while at the waterpark, I saw two other people - one middle aged man other seemed about high school teen with pumps. Just let your daughter know most people just won't pay attention to what is clipped to your belt!
And yes, agree with MyBustedPancreas - hope your daughters doctors go slow and steady with getting sugars stable, but once your daughter is able to master pumping it sure makes living so much easier. This from a 52 year old who has only pumped 4 years, diagnosed when age 6, and will never go back to MDI's!

She was diagnosed 3 years ago and has been in denial ever since. It is always a fight to get her to try and take care of herself. She doesn't always test or take her insulin when she should nor does she eat what she should. I find candy wrappers in her trash or car all the time. I have tried to get her to come on this website and she is too bothered to do it. When she is high she is very angry and can get nasty. She was in the hospital twice in 2011 for DKA. The last time was for 5 days. She had a kidney infection and other issues they could not get under control. At the age of 18 she had double cataract surgery and was almost completely blind due to the diabetes. I thought these items would have scared her but she still continues to not take care of herself. I wish she would come on this site so that she realizes that there are others out there with the same issues and illness as herself and she is not totally by herself. I try to be supportive but it gets really hard when we are constantly fighting over this.

It seems you are at the crossroads, concerned mom. You can't do this for her, she must do it herself. Argueing about it won't solve the problem. My sister-in-law also thought she was indestructible and passed away at 29. Kidneys gone, blind, and left behind a husband and a three year old daughter. She just refused to listen to those who knew better. The last time I saw her she was eating a Big Mac, fries, and a chocolate shake. In those days the glucometer was the size of a shoebox. Her BS was 440. I asked her if she needed anything and she just shugged it off. She just didn't care. Didn't inject to cover those carbs. I'm not trying to scare you, but someone has to scare the xxxx out of her. Is she busy with college, a job, or involved with her friends? I guess it's time to find the source of this denial. I'm sorry but I can't say anything positive unless she recognises the complications down the road to a long life. She has to reach out to someone to talk to about this. Point her in the right direction. Take care.

The doctors have talked to her and so have we until we are blue in the face. I actually convinced her to go talk to a counselor this week and she told me after going that she isn't going back she didn't like it even though the counselor was nice.

HAve you tried T1 support groups? Our local JDRF has a monthly meeting for adults with T1. When I was first diagnosed and found the blogs and DOC support, it motivated me, and still does, to take care of my self. The support online and the in real life meet ups have been incredibly helpful.

There are also D-treats for young adults her age - a short 3-4 day retreat. A great opportunity to meet with others with D and share experiences.

Wow, I am sorry. I don't know what to tell you. On one hand, she is an adult and she has to make and live with her decisions. Yes, diabetes is hard and it just freaking sucks sometimes, but if you want to live and be healthy, you have to do certain things. None of us asked for this, that's for sure, but many of us are able to do it.

I hate to say this, and I am NOT a profession counselor/therapist of ANY kind, but you may have to let her hit rock bottom before she changes her behavior. It may take going into DKA a couple of more times, it may be coming really close to dying. But it needs to come from within her. She's an adult and you can't manage her. You may have to be just that blunt with her.

Leave her the info and let her do with it what she wants. Give her the website and ways to access other support/resources...but she has to be the one who utilizes them.

She should also understand that high BGs are a viscous cycle...many people get nasty/depressed/angry when their BGs are high. And this can lead to poor care, which in turn leads to poor BG control.

Does she work? Go to school? How does being that high all the time impact the rest of her life?

In terms of getting her to come to this website, all you can do is leave her the info.

To be honest, if she's this out of control, a pump is not going to help, and it could even be dangerous. Pumping takes a lot of commitment, time, and attention to D management (more than MDIs). If she's not able to do this on MDI, I don't know if a pump is going to help things.

Well, my daughter is officially on the pump since this morning and she is scared to death. It was alot of information to take in when setting the pump up and learning to fill the reservour and do the infusion set. It was almost like coming home from the hospital the first time after being diagnosed with all the needles, test strips and logs. I know in the long run this will be much easier if she takes care of herself but I felt really bad sending her off on her own today. The mother in me wanted to go with her and help her through the first day or so.

So glad to hear she is trying the pump out. Have her get logged on to some sort of pumping forum. It was the "1.b" best thing I did after getting my pump (pump 1.a!). While the doctors and trainers and tech support are needed, all of the questions that will come up with site changes, air bubbles, basal, bolus, etc are sometimes better answered by those who pump every day and have actually experienced all the joys and trials of pumping! Best suggestion I can give is it takes time and there will be problems, but the problems are always solved with a few questions and time! Tell her I wish her good luck!

A step in the right direction!. I was scared at first too. It takes a few weeks to get used to it. She'll have a lot of questions, so steer her into the pumper's group here. Lots of folks can answer many questions.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service