Hello - i was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has gone on the pump and then gone back to shots? I was diagnosed at 10 years old and took shots. Then I switched to a pump at 18 before I went away to college. I have been on a pump ever since. This means that I've been using a pump for about 14 years and I am really getting tired of it. I starting bleeding a lot the last time I took out a site and the next site really hurt when I put it in. My skin itches from the adhesive. Sometimes the tubing becomes untucked from my clothes and it gets caught on a doorknob or something and pulls. It's a constant reminder 24/7 of the fact that I am diabetic... etc. However, I am not relishing the idea of going back to shots either because of the strict schedule, more lows, etc...

I was just wondering if anyone has done this or if I am just going through one of those "I hate diabetes" phases (which happens occasionally) and I will realize that I was crazy for even thinking about going back to shots.

Views: 565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My daughter just stopped using her pump after trying it out for about 6 months. She's had T1 a little over a year. So 6 months pens, 6 months pump -- she didn't like it & feels freer with the pens. She had a couple of bad days with the pump: site went bad one time & next time some kind of delivery problem made her BG hit around 500+. That was enough for her. She felt bad about "giving up" on the pump, but I told her she should look at it like she has options. She can use the pens & if she ever wants to wear the pump, she has that too. Not great options compared to just not having diabetes, but at least some kind of options.

Hello samsmom: Deeply sorry to hear it did not work for her (::<. As a mother, did her pump make you feel emotionally more secure about her diabetes, more "in control"? Stuart

Remember this: Neither treatment method is permanent. You can go back to shots whenever you want and you can go back to the pump if you get tired of shots.  Yes, there are times when I just get tired of looking at my pump, having it attached to me, itching, etc. and I go back to MDI for a day or two.  Or sometimes I just want to wear something or do something that is not pump conducive.  During those times, I whip out my pens and do shots. 

Issues aside, I love my pump because it allows me to be more active and less rigid.  The trade-offs for me are such that I'm willing to put up with the irritations (no pun intended) to have more flexibility and better control!  But I am also glad to know that I can disconnect at any time and do shots.  And I have done this on occasion.  You may very well find a few days of MDI are enough for you, or you may decide you like it better.  I think it's all a matter of personal preference.

Hello mybustedpancreas: Good to connect with you again. Thank you for sharing.

Respectfully, I hear this one all the time. HOW please does a pump give anyone "flexibility" ?!?! I can walk out of the house with ONLY a pen, and cover whatever I eat. Or in theory could take absolutely nothing with me period and play "catch up" when I got back.

As a pumper your mandatory kit has a whole bunch of backup pump supplies if it fails... tubing, sets, prep wipes, backup syringe to prime the tubing, backup insulin pen/vial, etc.

Help me out here, where is the flexibility? I shoot just before I eat. Hows the pump more flexible than that? If the proverbial magic wand were truly the pump itself, then pumpers could load lantus or NPH and they would achieve the same great results. Its the ultra rapid insulins not the pump that are the magic...

Stuart

The only reason that I am on a pump is that I need the variable basals, and Lantus and NPH (levemir is about the same cost per month as pump supplies) didn't give me that. The hypo seizures have stopped so I'm sticking with the pump. Yep, it drives me nuts some times. I'm lucky in that I have found that the Roche (Accuchek) sites don't cause irritation, although I have to be careful about any other tapes I use.
I hope your break goes well, and I do think that you will have found that the routine of MDI has changes a lot since you were last on it.
The method from Alan looks really smart. Good luck, and I hope you find going pumpless is great.

I switch back and forth all the time between my pump and injections. I like to take pump vacations for a few months, I find that on the pump I get better control. On injections I find that I often forget to bring my insulin with me, It is as much of a hassle to bring all your insulin and syringes than to cart around my pump.
It is simple to switch to injections, I just disconnect and start my lantus. Going back on the pump is tougher because you need to let the lantus run out before starting your pump basal again.

Just try it and see how it feels, your pump is sitting there ready to switch back if you want it,

I was on shots for 6 years, then the pump for a year, back to shots for another 8 years, and back on the pump for the last 4 1/2 years. I personally like the flexibility of the pump - being able to skip meals or eat something not necessarily "D friendly". BUT I cn can say that it has crossed my mind many times to go back to shots .. It doesn't bother me to take the shots. And I HATE physically wearing the pump. It drives me crazy having something attached to me 24/7. (I also wear the CGM) But for me, personally, I am trying to get in better control so I'm going to stick with it ... but I hear what you're saying. It sucks. :( But you have to do what's best for you. If you can control well enough on shots, and you'll be more comfortable, go for it. ;)

~Shannon

I go back and forth - use MDI when I travel and pump when my schedule is routine. Both have pluses/minuses but it's nice to have two ways to deal with Type 1.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service