Every doctor and nurse I see says that my basal rate should be about double the amount of insulin I take for carbs. I actually take only 13.47 units per day for my basal and about double that for my carbs. However, everytime I fast to check my basal rate, it's good. Is anyone else like this? My A1c is 8% right now and I'm really trying to figure out how to fix this. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In theory your basal should keep you Bg's steady if you don't eat - it shouldn't drop rapidly or raise rapidly. So fasting is a way to see if your basals is correct. If the BG goes up of falls the basals should be adjusted accordingly. This you do when you set up your basals. In the perfect world if the basals is perfectly set one should only bolus for meals and if the carb ratio is correct one's Bg should not raise or falls too much !!

My son is in puberty which means he needs more insulin. I think my doctor is checking the % to see if we do not bolus too much for high BG's (This is specifically correction bolusses for high bg's not meal bolusses) So if bolusses is too much it means that his basals are too little. So a high percentage bolus can be that the basal is not correct and should be adjusted. (The rule of thumb with a boy in puberty is that his total insulin usage can be as high as 1.4 units per kilogram bodyweight.) Our total insulin usage at this stage is more or less 60 units per day!!! This will hopefully comes down after puberty. I hope you understand my explanation (english is not my first language)
Riette I understand this perfectly. Being a women every month I go through the great sugar chase with basal getting set up higher and higher to keep up. Then comes the great hypo when hormones mellow out so I wish the best for your son. Your English is fine :)
Be loved
My basal is about 46% and my bolus is about 54%. My pump trainer set that is a great setting to be at. My A1C is in the 5
s.
I am wondering in reading everything if the percentage difference has more to do with what you eat. Since I have ot be on a certain diet my bolus is always going to be much more then my basal so maybe it is why I am having a hard time understanding.
Be loved
Hi Kim, I have wondered the samething not because the Dr is telling me it should be that way but when I enter my info on Mini Med's Care Link you Basal is almost always in red my Basal rate is 19.8 and I am using between 30 and 50 units a day. Look at the numbers as I am writing them I see the numbers is about 50% most days I am in the low 30s units total.

My a1c has been 6.5 for the last year.

Just read Joe's commit and was going to ask the samething about when you were high?
I have been pumping for about 12 years now, and have never heard of this. My basal rate is always higher, but never even close to double. It usually falls between 50/50 to 60/40, depending on my blood sugars.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service