Do pumps help you not get so many lows or do they increase the risk of getting more lows since a computer is in charge? I am considering getting going on a pump. I like the tubeless ones:I am very physically active, live in the snowy mountains, eat super strict diet. I am currently on 15 lantus and bolus no more than 4 units 0-2 times a day. Do you think it is for me? Or should I just stick to the pens for now?

Views: 474

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Much fewer lows on the pump due to the programmable basal rates. On Lantus, I couldn't get it high enough at night to get my fasting BG down without going too low at 630PM. Splitting the dose did not help. With the pump I can have different rates for different times of day and I stay pretty flat if I dont eat.

All the things the others said too... more precise dosing. Much more freedom to eat when I want, etc. It's made living with this thing so much easier.

Make sure you are already carb counting ,etc. on MDI as that will make the transition easier. It's just a different/easier delivery method.

I had *no clue* about carb counting when I started on the pup. It was *very* helpful to learn about.

Hi Jomama - you ask some great questions! I switched from Lantus/Humalog to the Omnipod one year ago. About 10 months ago I also added the Dexcom cgm. I believe that the combination of the two has helped me get closer to reaching my bg goals. I believe that I catch my lows before they get "too" severe. Having a "computer in charge" doesn't mean that my brain is on vacation, it just means that my insulin needs are micro-managed. I am pretty sure I do more work with the pump than if I were on MDI.

As of today, the omnipod is the only tubeless pump. I am sure you can read lots of reviews, both negative and positive, on the system. In fact, you have some comments on this thread from people who appear to have never even tried the omnipod system. I know that some of the negative reviews are valid. However, no pump is a perfect replacement for a pancreas. Each has it's own issues that you can research about. Please know that there are THOUSANDS of people on the omnipod who are happy with it :)

As I mentioned, I have been on the pod for a year and love it. It is the right system for me at this time. If you think it's the right system for you, I would encourage you to try out the system through your endo or a sales rep before buying it to make sure. It does take some getting used to, but that would be true for switching from MDI to any pump. You may even want to try the tubed pumps to see if those systems meet your needs.

The one thing to be aware of is that the pod must be filled with 80 units to prime. With your dosage, you may not be using that amount and that could result in "wasted" insulin. You can pull insulin out of a used pod, but *I* would be wary of using 3 day old insulin with new insulin in a new pod (if that makes sense). However, it looks like you may just be on cusp of that 80 units (with priming), so it may not be a big deal.

Good luck with your decision!

Hi Jomama, just want to put in my two cents about the pump my son started the omnipod a year ago, first thing the computer in not in charge! you are, the pump is a more fancy and technical way to get insulin into your body with more programable options than MDI, but you are still the brain. it is a big adjustment but the ease of no more shots and no tubing overrides the problems we have had. he still gets lows somehow he feels them a little less, but we always seem to catch them. one good option with the pump is you can turn down your basal if you need to for exercise or prolonged activity to decrease the chance of a low, we like that feature as well as icreasing the basal temporarily when he is high. it is a definite step up in the level of therapy but unfortunately still the same worries. I would do lots of research first and if and when you decide this is the best place for practical help and suggestions because we have all walked the walk. good luck with what ever you decide! amy

Before the pump I would get lows all the time. I started running and found I couldn't run without eating first and even then it would crash sometimes. I wanted to be able to exercise and loose some weight so that wasn't working! I can now start a temporary basal or even shut it down completely before running and the lows are very few now. The science is incredible and the pumps now are no more to give you a low than pens. Go for it. I'm on the Omnipod and love it.

I also try to carry pens with me as a back up especially if I'm traveling. When the novolog pen gets close to it's end I'll draw from it and fill my pod with it so it isn't wasted.

I haven't read all the posts, but here is my 2 cents on pumps.

Mine has changed my life dramatically. I have a lot more freedom and a greater ability to control the world around me. I agree that MiniMed is fantastic. I had a lot of problems at first being "tethered," but there are lots of creative options for the active: pockets are my favorite, as well as bra. If those don't work, or you mud wrestle.... There are also devices (Frios) to help with hot weather, etc.

I would not get too hung up on the active part until you try a pump. You will have so much more control, especially during exercise. It is a wonderful tool--you just need to know how to use it.

hi - i used omnipod pump for three years and loved, loved loved it. the issue i had with it is that the minimum basal level it gives an hour is .05 units (Animus pump can give as little as .025 units/hour). i pumped through my pregnancy with twins, and it was FABULOUS; however, the .05/hour basal became too much basal insulin for me and i had a significant low in the night on 9/14/11. (40). i was taken off the pump immediately. it is a bummer that omnipod can only stop administering basal for a maximim of two hours, then it requires you to resume. if you stop and resume, stop and resume, you can have clogging issues and possibly an incorrect amount (too much) basal given to you at once. I am back on MDI and miss my pump dearly. Research is saying though, that most diabetics who die, die from a one time severe low event, and not from high blood sugar events. I realize high blood sugar can cause long term complications, but low blood sugar can too, and one horrible low is just not worth it. My A1c went from 5.2 to 5.6 moving from pump back to MDI. but again, if i had my way, i would be on the omnipod. it is just so darn easy to administer insulin and correct for highs. if you have direct questions, email me at spartamac@mac.com.

best,

Melissa
T1 since 2008. mom to boys flynn (age 3) and twin boys hayes and keane (7 months)

I cried when my endo first suggested a pump to me. OK, OK, I'd only had diabetes like 3 or 4 weeks, and I didn't know jack about anything. (They fast tracked me to a pump -- I was diagnosed as an adult, and was trying to get pregnant. I was actually dx'd *during a fertility workup*. Which was great because they caught me before DKA, but also, well, yeah. But I'm pregnant now!)

ANYWAY, I've had my Minimed pump for a year, and looooooooove it. For all the reasons everyone else has said. The tubing bothers me less than a big Omnipod bump would, and I've not had a bad site yet. Some screwy infusion sets that I threw away instead of attaching in the first place, and 1 no delivery alarm, but no truly bad sites.

Hi All. Thank you again to this wonderful community of people. Your input is so valuable to me. Thanks.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service