Do pumps help you not get so many lows or do they increase the risk of getting more lows since a computer is in charge? I am considering getting going on a pump. I like the tubeless ones:I am very physically active, live in the snowy mountains, eat super strict diet. I am currently on 15 lantus and bolus no more than 4 units 0-2 times a day. Do you think it is for me? Or should I just stick to the pens for now?

Views: 480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going on a pump, just started my pump training yesterday. I only take 8 units levemir and never bolus more then 3 units per meal, as I'm still low carbing about (40 per day). My goal(s) for going on the pump is hopefully to bolus more, eat more, gain weight and because I'm very insulin sensitive, make corrections more easily. I just want to get off the basal roller-coaster! I too am active but I've decided on the Medtronic Revel w/CGM. I wanted the built in CGM and have heard better reviews on the Medtronic pumps. The Omnipod is kinda big. So far, the Medtronic Customer Service people have been FANTASTIC. My local Medtronic Rep even came to my house, in person, to drop off my Sil-Serter. All my supplies now, except insulin, come directly to me, through them.

I think you have to figure out what works best for you. If you have great control and take very few shots, maybe you're still 'good'. I split my basal so I'm up to about (at least) 5 shots a day, that's w/out doing corrections. If you're pretty stable and not having to do a lot of correctios, adjustments, etc..then that's something to think about.

Type1Gal-I've been using Silhouettes since I started pumping 7 years ago. The first thing my pump instructor said about the Sils is that she and others thought the Sil-Serter was wicked. Most of her patients inserted them manually and that is what I have always done. One advantage of manual insertion is that you can insert them at any angle. I'm quite thin and insert them at a shallow angle, much shallower than the inserter would do. I am able to use many more areas for my sites than I would be able to using the inserter. So just know that's an option if you don't like the Sil-Serter.

thanks, lathump...i was told that too, that's one of the reasons they recommend the sils for me or for thin people, as we can insert at an angle so it doesn't hit down into the muscle (think that's what the nurse said yesterday) and we'll probably do the manual insertion as well. have you had many problems with 'no delivery' of insulin, any DKA?

I think in all my years of pumping, I have only had "No Delivery" once. That's not to say that I haven't had bad sites that weren't identified by a no delivery message. Most of my bad sites have been when I tried Quick-Sets and Mios. I just don't do well with 90 degree sets. They hurt more often, they're higher profile and easier for me to accidentally pull out, and I get a higher percentage of sites that don't deliver insulin properly (kinks? or hitting bone or muscle? Don't Know).

With Silhouettes, I probably only have 1 or maybe 2 times a year where my BG rises precipitously because of not getting insulin. I know very quickly because by 2+ hours without insulin I start feeling nauseous. If I have a high BG number because of eating cr*p, I don't spill ketones and I feel perfectly fine (except for guilt). However, when I have an absolute deficit of insulin (bad site), I feel horrible very quickly. It does remind me of how vulnerable we are. I have never been close to DKA because of my pump.

In 7 years of using Medtronic pumps, I have never once had a pump malfunction. I have had pumps replaced because of superficial cracks and once for water infiltration. Obviously I consider myself lucky, but I think that there are many of us with various brands of pumps who have had great experiences with the quality of our devices. And there are the unfortunate ones who have had many pump problems.

I will say that although I trust my pump with my life, I do always carry a couple of syringes in my meter case as back-up. I don't carry extra insulin on a day-to-day basis because you can always use a syringe to get insulin from your pump reservoir.

THANKS! I asked about that yesterday; the nurse told me to carry a supply of syringes - novolog w/me at all times in case there's a problem with the pump. I asked if I could draw insulin from the pump, she said, "NO, due to contamination or health reasons?"

I've heard this too and do not understand that logic!?! If it's okay in the reservoir to be put into your body, why is not okay in an emergency to be put into a syringe and then into your body? I understand not mixing the old with new, but in a pinch, *I* would pull from the pump in a heartbeat!

I think it is the transfer of the insulin to the syringe under less than sanitary conditions that could be a problem. Of course the risk of an infection seems minor compared to the certainty of DKA. That said, I always carry a humalog pen with me.

Maurie

I had one problem, a day we ran 14 miles and it was like 87 out so I was drenched! The pump was clipped to the outside of my fuel belt but it was still pretty hot. I forget what the error message was but it was fritzed out and I called and they said "you need a new pump" so I took it home, took the batteries out and left it in the sun to dry it out and bleep outside (it didn't stop bleeping...). Then I brought it in and took the battery out and put it back, still bleeping. I figured I didn't want to listen to it so I put it in the freezer to 1) dry it further and 2) so I didn't have to hear it. I took it out the next morning, put the battery in...and it seemed like it was fixed! I had already arranged a new pump and didn't exactly trust my repair method but it was sort of freaky! I've had very few issues, maybe 2-3 in 3.5 years of pumping too.

Jomama- I don't know if I have fewer lows on the pump, but I definitely have fewer severe lows. I feel much safer than I did on my old insulin regimens because I'm only using one fast-acting insulin and things are much more predictable than with a combination of long-term and short-term insulins.

I personally am not interested in the Omnipod, but that doesn't mean that I won't be some day. I do not mind the tubing at all and feel that I would have a harder time finding appropriate and discrete sites for the pods. A new smaller pod will be released soon, but I don't think that they know the exact date. I think that lots of people are very happy with the pods and some aren't. But that's true of any pump.

So do your homework and make the right decision for you. Most of us consider our lives and health immeasurably improved by the pump. They are ideal for people who use small amounts of insulin because you can be much more exact.

Let us know what you decide.

great insight..! :)

I agree with Lathump re the lows not being as severe. I find the "dive" is easier to pull out of and that being able to check "on-board" insulin is also handy. That was always a mystery to me when I was on MDI (only R/NPH...) and the pump was like night and day.

That being said, when I have had severe lows, the pump ones are as wicked as the shot ones, sometimes maybe more?

My 2 cents: I absolutely _love_ having an insulin pump. I have the animas 1 touch ping. I run, swim or bike almost every day, or I'm working 10-12 hrs on my feet. The pump can keep up with all of that. I found that I had a lot fewer fears about going low once I was on the pump. On shots my carb counting insulin dosing went something like this: I'm eating 32 grams of carbs, my I:C ratio is 1:12, I'd take 2units, the actual amount is 2.66units, but 3 units would be too much and I wouldn't want to go low. With the pump, it calculates the 2.66 for me and I can actually bolus the correct amount.

I also love it for the control and flexibility I have with exercising. I am not a planner. I can't predict for sure if I'm going to run 3 miles or 6 miles or not at all tomorrow and with the pump I don't have to.

I'd look into animas as well as the omnipod. I love that it's approved for swimming and I don't have to worry about it getting wet.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service