Hi All,
For the last year I have been having these ridiculous random high bld sgrs. There's no pattern and no reason for them (as far as food or illness...). I have not been able to find the kind of help that I need. I have a GREAT Endo but still... Really no answer or way to avoid this from continuing.

My background: I am 41 yrs. old. Have had Type I Juvenille for about 30 yrs. 10 yrs on pump. And...10 yrs ago had a heart attack that led to an angioplasty w/ 2 stents placed in my arteries. The heart attack is irrelevant other than the fact that psychologically I think I kinda freak when my D is outa my control. Oh, by the way...when I had the hrt attck my HBA1C's were in the 6's and Ive always had good cholesterol, normal weight/BMI, very low bld pressure, am a vegetarian, and was a boxer! Yikes, huh?!?!

When these random highs occur (in the 300's) they are unresponsive to insulin. I'll change my pump sight and always inject w/ a shot. My blood sgrs continue to rise even after a shot... this goes on for hours. I feel so sick from the highs. There's no rhyme or reason & I feel like I have no control, my D has taken over my body temporarily like a monster. I'm sick of "making excuses" like...maybe the insulin wasn't fresh (I change pump sight every 2 days), or maybe its where I am wearing my pump sight... Always looking for that "magical" explanation. =(

I talked to some other Diabetics in a group setting and 2 said that they'd been hospitalized for this. They were senior citizens & I am assuming they've had the disease for a long time like I have (?). They said that there's a theory that it is the liver putting out extra glucose. Don't know why or what to do about it. I would really like to avoid another hrt attck and/or other huge complications.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about this? Thank you!!!

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh...that makes me nervous. Not to say that you are wrong, but it is so different from what i know it sorta scares me. Have you done this?
Hi there. I too was getting very high readings at random times. I'm 33 yrs old and have Type One since age 7. I work out 6 days/week and eat super healthy. Couple things I discovered over time: I cannot eat cereal. It makes my sugars go completely out of control and I have to take a LOT of extra insulin. During "that time of the month" my sugars spike but I can take extra insulin to control it. Not sure if any of this helps but I have a feeling it has to do with being diabetic for sooo long and being more insulin resistant. Scares the crap outta me!
Yes, I bet you're right. the longer we have it, the more resistant (and brittle) we definitely become (sucks!!!). But the highs for me have been abnormally random... Gosh, I don't know.....
The only thing I can think of is your counter-regulatory hormones, in particular cortisol and adrenaline (epinephrine).

These can both cause highs. If you are particularly stressed, these can cause your liver to dump out sugar. They also feed off of themselves indirectly, as being high causes you anxiety and distress (more counter-regulatory hormones) which causes your BG to go up causing more stress...

Resting quietly in a dark, comfortable place (breathe, breathe...) might help you break this hormonal cycle. Meditation. Yoga. Less caffeine. Less stressful situations in general. These all help your body stop the liver dumping and your insulin to work better (less insulin resistance).
Hmmm......Maybe???? I am under stress (going thru a divorce, but he was worthless anyway). I've always handled stress well though and it has never seemed to effect my BG's. Maybe that has chjanged? Ughhh...Hard to say.
I'm sorry about your divorce, even if he's "worthless".

That's one of the Top Seven most stressful things to go through (up there with a death in the family, moving to a different state, etc...)

I think we're all pretty much more stressed out lately due to the economy, the housing crisis, etc. It wears on us like a steady drip of fear of the unknown, even if we're not directly impacted with lay-offs or foreclosures.

I think stress is one of those slow-flood things -- we can handle it until it reaches a certain level and then we start to feel our feet go out from under us and the current dragging us away. Yow.

I know that the death of my precious, beloved brother just about swamped me four years ago -- and then, when I though I was back in control, I spent eighteen months recovering from an extremely painful frozen shoulder, was unemployed for seven months last year and experienced a "minor" but still really, really distressing assault last year -- when I was out trying to do the right thing and get some exercise by walking at the local mall (it was a gang-related attack.)

I'm really just now getting my feet back under me and on solid ground.

Add in all the normal stresses (paying bills, family issues) and sometimes I stop and think, "Wow. I must be pretty tough because this has been a HARD few years."

My BG's tell the story: my HbA1C skyrocketed from a low of 5.8 in 2008 to 10.8 in 2010 and it is finally coming back down -- 9.1 last round, and dropping.
Wow! You are a trooper for sure!!! I hope you have a really twisted sense of humor that helps you deal with the craziness of life. That's definitely what helps me! I wish I could give you a hug (then tell you a really foul but flippin funny joke)!!!
I suppose it's true. The stress could be having an effect. I will certainly do what I can to stay upbeat and positive!!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service